Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

TRANSCRIPT: Rams General Manager Les Snead and Head Coach Sean McVay – NFL Draft Day 3 Availability – April 25, 2020

April 26, 2020 02:03AM
Rams General Manager Les Snead and Head Coach Sean McVay – NFL Draft Day 3 Availability – April 25, 2020

(On if they have ever heard anyone as enthusiastic as LB Clay Johnston)
McVay: “I have never experienced a call like that in my life. I was starting fade a little bit in the seventh-round and this guy gave me a shot of adrenaline that I felt like I was going to put my head through a wall. This was guy was unbelievable. If he was half as enthusiastic on the conference call, I’ve never heard anything like this. It was great.”

Snead: “Good content in the seventh-round.”

McVay: “I just wish they had my phone call with him filmed because that wouvld have been must-see TV.”

Snead: “I think they did record my phone call, but it’s going to have to go out with a PG-13.”

(On waiting for the recording of his phone call with Johnston)
Snead: “They’re in the editing room on that call.”

McVay: “That call was half as fun as mine.”

(On how they see Johnston fitting in with what he can do on the field)
Snead: “Through the process, one thing we do is our special teams coach gets to get involved and he was very fond of this player being a core-four (special teams units) type player. At Baylor, the kid as instincts in there to process things between the tackles and made a lot of tackles at Baylor. He has a good central nervous system, grew up in that football family. As by the phone call, you can tell there’s something about them. I think he plays that way, you feel it and I think that’s maybe his strength.”

(On if the goal was to make picks in eight different positions and spread it out to get some depth across the board)
Snead: “I don’t think it was the goal, because like the first day, we could have just, I call it, uncharacteristically held-pat and just stayed and picked. I think the way it worked out, we got a call and was able to move out and when (Head Coach) Sean (McVay) and I discussed it, we did talk about how it would be nice having a few more picks in the backend of the rounds to be able to get a Johnston, get our kicker and get a really good offensive line prospect that we might not have been able to get if we had just stayed and picked.”

McVay: “I think it’s also just a reflection of the competitiveness of our football team. Some of the guys we already had in place, you always want to create a competitive roster when you can get up to 90 guys in this time of year, but you also want to think about all right, who are guys that are realistic in your 55 (man gameday roster), if you’re projecting that out and want to be intentional about adding guys that have a chance to really come in, compete, contribute and play on Sundays when we’re kicking off and the score counts. All these players give us the ability to do that with a unique blend of things coming together, where they added value and they happen to fulfill needs as well.”

(On how who he thinks of the nine picks will play prominent roles as rookies)
McVay: “I think it’s to be determined. We want to create competitive roster. You have a vision for everybody that you onboard, but all these guys we felt like could contribute in some form or fashion. Some in some roles that if they live up to the expectations we have, will be greater than others. That’s the beauty of competition, but I think where you realistically project, okay, if this guy does what we think he’s capable of, he can create a role for himself. Some of that is where you’re saying, ‘All right, you go with (Rcool smiley Cam Akers, what does he do in terms of how he competes with (Rcool smiley Darrell Henderson, with (Rcool smiley Malcolm Brown, with (Rcool smiley John Kelly? What does it look like for (WR) Van Jefferson to assert himself amongst three players that have really been proven players in this league? Then, you talk about a Clay Johnston that we just mentioned. What does it look like? Does he end up earning a role as a four-core special teams’ player? Does he contribute and compete as an inside linebacker?’ Those are things that are exciting, but we feel like there’s capabilities with all these players that we took. We could kind of go into great depth when we talk about each individual, but they all are guys that we think are NFL caliber players that have a good future.

(On if the intent was to get guys who might be able to step into the roles of the guys they lost)
Snead: “I would say yesterday a lot of it had to do with that. Any time you draft, and it happened a little bit today, there’s moments where the board may dictate doing something or making a plan b other than what you set off to do just because of, ‘Hey, wait a minute, a player that we had rated well, a (TE) Brycen Hopkins was an example.’ We really like our tight end room right now, but we had him highly rated and felt like he could come in and carve out a role early but also later. We didn’t have to make that pick, but sometimes when you make those types of picks, there’s an element of drafting in a microscope, but also with a telescope and you feel like, ‘Hey, the guy can make plays.’ We started the weekend with positions that we definitely wanted to add players that we felt like could come help us win and you kind of rate those positions. Which ones we may need to most or want the most or could use the most. Then, you let the board kind of tell you to pick the player to fit into those roles.

(On what collectively was the best part of the 2020 NFL Draft)
McVay: “I think it was just the ability to address a bunch of different needs with players that we loved. I mean if you said that a (S) Jordan Fuller is going to be there in the sixth round at (No.) 199, the way that we valued him. When you hear about the makeup and the production he had at a really prominent place like Ohio State, you love that. To be able to address a physical guard, with a few picks left in the draft in (OL) Tremayne (Anchrum), it was something that we felt really good about. So, I think each of these picks demonstrates value for us. I think really this is – of the four drafts now that I’ve been through in this role with Les – this is as smooth and as fluid of a process as we’ve experienced because it kind of went off in a lot ways where there was plans, there was contingency plans, so there was no surprises and then when we did end up moving back to acquire a couple of additional sevenths. It allowed us to really do some things we wanted to with those picks by getting another player in the offensive line room and then being able to acquire a guy that we felt like was one of the best kickers in this draft to come compete with the players that we do have at a spot that we know is instrumental in winning and losing games and having success.”

(On not knowing when draftees will be able to come to the NFL facilities and what the next few months will look like, and if that has an impact on drafting some of the prospects)
McVay: “It really didn’t because you’re still identifying the football player, you want the same sort of things that you really value with the makeup with who the human being is. I’ll probably be able to better answer that question after we have our first week of the virtual offseason starting up on Monday (April 27, 2020) because it’s something that we are all navigating through for the first time. We’re going to focus on trying to deliver the information to our players in a way that’s educational, entertaining and engaging. I think that’s something we’re going to try and figure out as we go, ‘Alright, is it taped meetings? Is it the smaller group setting?’ Because there is an element, even though we are all on this call, there’s nothing quite like being in the same room where there’s a more natural flow of communication and coaching. So much of it is not just transmitting information, it’s an open dialogue that exists, especially at this level when you’ve got grown men that you’re dealing with. So, it didn’t affect the process. It’s something that I’m really interested in seeing what’s the best way to navigate through it. We’ve got a plan, but I’m sure that we’ll adjust and adapt accordingly based on the players’ feedback and some of the coaches because I would think that’s more than likely going to be the way that our whole offseason with the nine weeks that we have allotted, will go, unless something changes in the near future.”

(On what McVay has planned to be entertaining to the players and make virtual offseason meetings fun)
McVay: “You don’t think I’m entertaining (laughs)?”

Media Member: “I think you are, and I realized as I said it, it sounded awful.”

McVay: “I’m just kidding, I know exactly what you mean. The first thing is, ‘Alright, what kind of meeting block windows, in terms of just the time allotments are you talking about?’ I’ve had a lot of different conversations with even (Los Angeles Clippers Head Coach) Doc Rivers when you talk about what he’s doing with guys or some of these other NBA coaches. They say 12 minutes is that ideal timespan. So, we don’t want to have sort of meeting block go more than 12 and 20 minutes at a time. Making sure that it’s a mix of film, but also the conversation, always splicing in some TV clips is a good way, as long as they say nice things about the players from the commentary (laughs). So, those are different ways, but I think the smaller group settings will be the most beneficial way to do it, where there’s a little bit more dialogue and a flow of just communication. That’s why you feel so good about having position coaches, that ‘Hey, we’re going to break up individually a bit little more than maybe what normally we would because that absence of the physical interaction is a huge part of what coaching is. So, that’s kind of part of the goal. We’ll see how it goes and I’m excited about it and hopefully we’ll keep it fun for these guys.”

(On if Snead sees any additional positions that he feels that still needs to be address in free agency or otherwise)
Snead: “We’ll probably let the draft settle and then sit down and look at our roster. We pretty much done that going into this thing of who we have, what there role is, as I always call them the unsungs right there, they’re the forgottens. Players like ‘Sea Bass’ (Rams DT Sebastian Joseph-Day) from last year, where you know what he had a redshirt year, coaches did a good job developing him and then, his sophomore he’s a starter. So that’s what we’ve discussed about some of our younger players that may have less play time, but you’re always going to look to see, ‘Hey, how can you make a more competitive or add someone to be more competitive any time you get that chance.’”

(On what McVay and Snead think of K Samuel Sloman, besides his alma mater Miami of Ohio)
Snead: “We got two alma mater stories. It goes deeper than that. I’ll start with back from my Atlanta days, had some kids go to Pace Academy. So, well-versed in where he went to school. The best thing about him is he’s probably not an athlete. So, he got basically beat out to be a soccer goalie and they talked him into coming over to the high school football team and kicking. And so, Pace Academy from Atlanta, probably beat Marist Academy this year with two draftees, big Andrew Thomas and our guy Sammy Sloman, but I’ll let Sean now take over from the Miami of Ohio side of things.”

McVay: “I don’t think Pace has beaten Marist, just Marist, not Marist Academy (laughs). I’m just kidding.”

Snead: “Academy is not tough enough for the Marist boys (laughs).”

McVay: “Sam is a guy, I’ll tell you what, when you really look at it (Rams Special Teams Coordinator) John Bonamego and then I think (Rams Senior Personnel Executive) Brian Xanders, there’s a lot of people that did a lot of work on these kickers, knowing what an important position it was for us to try to fulfill. A lot of due diligence – whether it’s acquiring guys that have kicked in some of these other leagues, like you guys have seen us recently do. Then alright, who’s the guy that we deemed the most valuable prospect of this college group that had a lot of guys that had great resumes and track records. So, it was reliant on those guys’ background, their due diligence. I think when you look at just the success that he’s had, especially kicking in some colder weather elements, that’s a big deal. He was really clutch in some of those fourth quarter opportunities and that says a lot about these guys. He seems like he’s wired above the neck the right way, too, which so much of kicking is a mindset and a mentality with the situations that inevitably come up that make the difference between winning and losing games. There’s a lot of people that were very helpful for us to zero in on Sam and feel good about being able to acquire him in the seventh round.”

(On if they think the roster is better than it was at this point last year)
Snead: "We're ready for things to get back to normal as soon as possible and get back on the grass and get ready to go, try to win the next game. We're definitely jacked (with) where we're at."

(On if they think they've upgraded in terms of personnel since the end of last season)
Snead: "You always want to go into every year and try to be slightly better than you were the last year. It's going to be different, there's going to be times when some positions have less experience, some don't and you're always having to navigate all of that. We do really, really, appreciate our core players and we're ready to go to battle."

McVay: "Yeah, I feel good. I think the biggest thing that these three years have taught me especially, is that each year is a new year. You've got players that you feel excellent about building around, guys that have established themselves that have some core pillars for your program. Unfortunately, just the way that the league is structured, you can't keep all these guys that have really established themselves. You've seen that we've had to make some really tough decisions. But, I think when you do lose great players like we've lost for a bunch of different reasons, the goal is, 'How can we refill and reestablish ourselves with players we identify as appropriate targets to fulfill some of those voids that are left by great players we've lost? And then, lets continue to draft, develop and onboard the right kind of guys.' I think this draft class demonstrates that, we won't know entirely until we actually get to work with them and until they get an opportunity to prove themselves on the field. But, a lot of the guys that we've been able to continue to remain a big part of this is something that we feel great about and there's going to be a lot of little changes. I think each year the NFL provides a new narrative and we're excited about the opportunity we have to be able to do that and compete to the best of our ability this year."

(On how the newly drafted players can help contribute to the big picture)
Snead: "Sean and his group have been really good when we've been able to run the football. Adding (Rcool smiley Cam (Akers), continuing to develop (Rcool smiley Darrell (Henderson), to go with (Rcool smiley Malcolm (Brown), that's definitely going to get us to where we want to be doing that. Like I've always said, what we've been doing in '17 and '18, Sean loves personnel packages, so multiple tight ends and wide receivers, so adding Mr. (Brycen) Hopkins and Mr. (Van) Jefferson today is good. Like we go with all these players, whether it's Van, whether it's Terrell, whether it's Clay, (S) Jordan Fuller, our special teams coach (Special Teams Coordinator John Bonamego) really, really was jacked about them. So, whatever role they call about on our team to play, let's call it on offense or defense, they're definitely helping on that other phase."

(On what it says about the offensive line that they didn't have to make it a primary focus during the draft and if that helps bring confidence to the players in the building)
Snead: "Definitely, that's obvious, because we didn't address OL until later. But I think Sean's mentioned it, we've been drafting young players for the last two, three years. Even when Sean mentioned yesterday trading for (OL) Austin Corbett, it was just a couple years ago that he was the 33rd (overall) pick in the draft and even this year we wouldn't have been able to pick an Austin Corbett. We've been adding those players and I've said it many a times, fortunately or unfortunately, a lot of them got to play last year with (OL) David Edwards and (OL) Bobby Evans in particular that got a chance to play when you really were going to spend a year probably developing them as backups. They came in, performed well and then the guys that they replaced are getting healthier. So, we did go into it probably a little different than maybe the outside of our building where, 'Okay, hey, it's a major, major glaring weakness the Rams offensive line.' We felt confident that if we continue grooming and developing these players they'd have a chance to become a really solid offensive line."

--RAMS--
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

TRANSCRIPT: Rams RB Cam Akers – NFL Draft Day 2 Availability – April 24, 2020

Shaky622April 25, 2020 11:17AM

TRANSCRIPT: Rams Wide Receiver Van Jefferson – NFL Draft Day 2 Availability – April 24, 2020

Shaky293April 25, 2020 11:18AM

TRANSCRIPT: Rams LB Terrell Lewis – NFL Draft Day 2 Availability – April 24, 2020

Shaky294April 25, 2020 11:19AM

TRANSCRIPT: Rams S Terrell Burgess – NFL Draft Day 2 Availability – April 24, 2020

Shaky275April 25, 2020 11:19AM

TRANSCRIPT: Rams General Manager Les Snead and Head Coach Sean McVay– NFL Draft Day 2 Availability – April 24, 2020

Shaky328April 25, 2020 11:20AM

TRANSCRIPT:Rams TE Brycen Hopkins – NFL Draft Day 3 Availability – April 25, 2020

Shaky282April 25, 2020 11:20AM

TRANSCRIPT: Rams S Jordan Fuller – NFL Draft Day 3 Availability – April 25, 2020

Shaky302April 25, 2020 01:09PM

TRANSCRIPT: Rams LB Clay Johnston – NFL Draft Day 3 Availability – April 25, 2020

Shaky312April 25, 2020 04:37PM

TRANSCRIPT: Rams OL Tremayne Anchrum – NFL Draft Day 3 Availability – April 25, 2020

Shaky265April 25, 2020 04:37PM

TRANSCRIPT: Rams K Samuel Sloman – NFL Draft Day 3 Availability – April 25, 2020

Shaky243April 25, 2020 04:38PM

TRANSCRIPT: Rams General Manager Les Snead and Head Coach Sean McVay – NFL Draft Day 3 Availability – April 25, 2020

Shaky302April 26, 2020 02:03AM

This is a particularly outstanding transcript. A must-read...

Rams43218April 26, 2020 09:37AM

This was especially informative...

max187April 26, 2020 10:03AM