Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I'll have that discussion

April 06, 2020 02:19PM
Rams43
First of all, I’m pretty relaxed as of now. It’s certain that a good football player will be sitting there at 52. Or even after a Probable Snead trade(s) down. Lol.

But which position, you say? I'd say if they do trade down, its down to Edge, ILB, IOL (C), and RB. And if they stay put, its because a OT fell into their laps or a top 3 RB did.

Based on reported Ram interest I’d say C or RB are high on their list, but who really knows? Agreed, in the 2nd, I'd say Cushenberry and Hennessy at OC. and Taylor, Edwards-Helaire and Dobbins. Maybe Akers.

Take it FWIW, but my crystal ball is giving me glimpses of the following:

First 4 picks will be some combo of RB, C, edge, and ILB. That seems to make the most sense to me, unless a WR falls they feel they cannot pass on. And LG would def. be in play, esp. in rounds 3 and 4. The real wildcard to me is OT, if they take a guy like Jones or Jackson or Cleveland, that tells me either Note is never going to be a LT or they love him at OG.

A WR will be picked but who knows where or when? Too good of a WR draft not to take advantage, don’t you think?Depends on if they can get enough drat picks to fill their immediate needs. But I tend to agree. Interestingly enough, I saw that the Rams Facetimed with Denzel Mims, and he is a 2nd rounder at the least. he seems to be gaining steam. So yeah, the Rams are interested in WRs to some extent.

A PK will be drafted late. I doubt that even Snead would want to have to sift through UDFA leftovers. I hope not. Too many holes, not enough picks. Go get an XFL kicker.

I doubt that more than one OL player is drafted. Might even be none, depending on who might fall at other need positions. Blythe, if nothing else, allows Snead to pounce on BPA and/or juicy tradedown opportunities. Besides, I think that the Rams like their current OL roster more than many fans do. So right now it looks like: Whit, Noteboom, Blythe, Edwards, Evans, Havs, Corbett, Allen. Those seem like locks right now. The others on the roster are Shelton OC, Demby OG, Trewyn OC, Brewer OG. I doubt they make the roster. So there is room for 1-2 max. So they won't draft 3 IMO, unless they plan on cutting a guy like Allen or can trade Havs.

I’m looking for a helluva battle for starting position between a healthy and hopefully well conditioned Hav and Evans. Competition is always a good thing.

I suspect that Boom will be healthy enough to compete with Whit at LOT by camp but will be Whit’s backup until Whit might need a breather during the season. Wouldn’t be stunned if Boom starts to gradually see more and more game snaps by midseason on to prepare him for ‘21 starter status. Has his rehab been slowed at all because of quarantine? I hope not, but it seems possible. It'll be interesting to see if he can step in and perform to an acceptable level, esp if there is no training camp. Color me concerned.

That deep CB roster has allowed much needed cap savings (NRC) and also still allows Snead to focus on other positional Ram needs. CB still looks deep and is a testament to Snead’s eval talent and draft strategy foresight. I still want Neville Clarke in the worst possible way late in the draft. He can play S and CB and I love his skill set. Super under-rated. But then again I am of the belief you grab a DB every draft.

I continue to have a real good feeling about this ‘new’ Staley D that we’re gonna see. A ‘new broom’ kinda thing. Wouldn’t be surprised to see a Top 10 D, maybe even better. They have lost so much. Im tempering my expectations.

I especially am excited to see that AD, Brockers, ARob DL in action together. I suspect that AD is gonna see a few less double/triple teams and we all know that could be a good thing. Love me some ARob. Brockers ankle better be good to go.

I’m expecting a Sean McVay just burning to reclaim that division crown and to once again go deep into the playoffs. His energy and fire will be contagious and result in higher ceilings for his asst coaches AND players. Contagious? really? cmon man. Just goofing. I hope you are right. Can you imagine a guy with his energy being locked down in his house for a few months. he should be ready to bounce off the walls.

Hard to say how much the Covid-19 restrictions will negatively impact Ram pre-draft eval accuracy. Then again, it’s the same for all teams so probably not much effect either way. I think it hurts the Rams worse in one way, and helps in another. The hurt part is the fact that they didn't have a strong presence at the combine. Would have been great to have McVay, and the new coordinators all there and if they could have interviewed more players. Instead they get videos of interviews. How it will help is pretty simple. They have historically liked bowl game kids, Senior and Shrine, and that was not affected in the least, so that edge should still be there.Snead also said that this might be the year to go safer with their draft picks, due to the shortage of them, so maybe combine medicals and guys with injury red flags won't come into play as much as it would previous seasons.

I’m encouraged by recent news stories of possible downturn of new Coved-19 cases in some areas AND some encouraging news about successes with certain different meds. To the point that I’m cautiously optimistic that we will see a semi-normal camp and a full regular season. Any good Covid news is always welcome.

What did I miss?
You thought a ILB, C, Edge and RB would be picked in rounds 2-4, you also think a WR and a K will be taken in rounds 6 and 7. So it that your draft? RB, C, Edge, ILB, K, WR? Or do you think they end up with 7 or 8 picks and can add some more depth somewhere? I can make a case for a OT (esp. early) a CB (esp. later) and for sure a S (somewhere after round 3 IMO) So they have some serious work to do. I'd still love to see a Havs trade if that is even financially possible. I'd also like to see a QB taken after the draft in UDFA. its a deep draft and there is going to be plenty of undrafted talent. The problem is with no rookie and mini camps, how do you vet these undrafted FAs you sign?

Don't waste your time looking back, you're not going that way. - Ragnar Lothbrok
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Wanna have a discussion about Snead/McVay likely draft strategy?

Rams43610April 06, 2020 12:01PM

Re: Wanna have a discussion about Snead/McVay likely draft strategy?

nicecatchellard252April 06, 2020 02:07PM

I'll have that discussion

Deadpool336April 06, 2020 02:19PM

Re: I'll have that discussion

Rams43285April 06, 2020 04:38PM

Re: I'll have that discussion

Ekern55391April 06, 2020 06:59PM

I'd prefer a WR to a RB

LMU93315April 07, 2020 03:22AM

Re: I'd prefer a WR to a RB

jim beam248April 07, 2020 06:03AM

dzrams262April 07, 2020 06:47AM

3030222April 07, 2020 10:06AM

Rams desperately need a RB - think last year

ferragamo79242April 07, 2020 07:05AM

3030355April 06, 2020 05:31PM

I can see them trading Cooks on draft day

ferragamo79231April 07, 2020 07:35AM

OzRam211April 07, 2020 10:43AM

Watch the Rams draft a safety in RD2 lol

BlueRidgeHorns260April 07, 2020 11:15AM