Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Breer talks about that kind of coaching structure

February 06, 2020 08:59AM
zn
Shanahan has both a run and a pass game coordinator too. You think that's not Shanahan's offense? And that he does not have a direct hand in designing it etc? You think he relegates that?

Same with McVay and the Rams.

So...what responsibility change? Where does this idea come from? Do people think the 49ers passing game was the brainchild of MIke LaFleur, their pass game coordinator? Same issue with the Rams.

I think people look at the titles and leap to conclusions that I honestly believe do not add up.

Using the run and pass game coordinator titles is a way to promote guys and ask them to contribute more, but in no way means that the guy with the title runs and designs that part of the offense.

The 3 coaches who have both run and pass game coordinators are all offensive head coaches who do their own playcalling and have installed their own offenses. That's Pederson, Shanahan, and McVay. McVay opted out of that arrangement by hiring a coordinator, and I think the indications are that that means he is putting less on himself. McVay was the coordinator in 2019 and he has now decided he wants new eyes, someone with more power, to take a more direct role in designing and running the offense.Could he have promoted Waldron? Okay--but he also did not promote Pleasant on the defensive side either, instead going outside for a new guy. I don't take that to mean he sees Pleasant as a disappointment. Or that he would be disappointed in a guy yet keep him anyway. 2020 would not be the year for that--he was clearing out coaches and starting over at several spots.

Anyway here's Breer from SI

from Albert Breer
[www.si.com]

WHAT NO ONE IS TALKING ABOUT

The co-coordinator thing has been common in college for quite some time, and it’s long been a way for head coaches to try and lure the best coaches they can to work together on one staff. Likewise, in the pros, it’s become a way to keep good coaches happy where they are.

Kyle Shanahan’s right-hand man in San Francisco, Mike McDaniel, has been the run-game coordinator since the staff got there, but only got the title in 2018. Mike LaFleur, meanwhile, became pass-game coordinator after he was blocked from joining his brother in Green Bay last January. Likewise, in Philly, with the Eagles missing on a couple of their top OC targets, they chose to give well-regarded QB coach Press Taylor (Bengals coach Zac Taylor’s little brother) the pass-game coordinator title.

It’s also not a coincidence that in both places, the head coach calls the plays, making having an OC-by-title less necessary.

Anyway, it’s something I noticed that smart teams are doing, and it makes all the sense in the world. Keep guys content and feeling like they’re on the rise, and give them more responsibility so they’ll be more deeply invested in the program. That’s smart people management by Shanahan and Doug Pederson.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2020 09:10AM by zn.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Waldron talking to LSU

3030766February 04, 2020 09:00AM

IMO Waldron would be a mistake

den-the-coach336February 04, 2020 09:51AM

Re: This makes a lot of sense to me

merlin340February 04, 2020 11:46AM

agreed, Merlin

SunTzu_vs_Camus238February 04, 2020 11:50AM

Re: This makes a lot of sense to me

Rams43239February 04, 2020 03:01PM

McVay was the coordinator in 2019