Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: The writer is either delusional or never watched a Rams game.

January 31, 2020 11:11AM
I agree that Allen wasn't effective, but Blythe sometimes was and evidently played injured. Maybe he could be resigned and fill the need at center for awhile. The other wild card is Corbett who played pretty well at LG and can play center. How well? I don't know but our player personnel department should know. Maybe he is out long term answer in the middle. If not for Blythe or Corbett I think we would prioritize getting a new center and Allen would become a backup. I don't see Allen starting game one in Sofi stadium. All that being said I think the Rams will have a game plan for upgrading the OL.
I predict we resign Whit and have him start the season at LT. LG will be interesting because Boom could be back, but if Whit is outside he would probably go back to LG to start the season or if he's not ready perhaps Corbett stays there. Will we resign Blythe? He looked pretty good at center and can play either guard spot so he's got experience and versatility. If resigned he probably is our snapper. Edwards looked very good at RG and may stay there. He played well in a few spots. Evans looked pretty strong at RT, but our starter should be back healthy and when he's healthy he's a big plus.
If everyone is back we should be pretty strong. LT -Whit goes as long as he can then Boom comes in. LG - Boom, Corbett, Edwards or Evans. C- Blythe, Corbett, or Allen. RG- Edwards. RT-Havenstein, Evans or Edwards. There's some considerable talent here. Whit is 37 but has been a perennial All Pro and could put together one more solid year or at least part of one. Boom was handpicked to take you over at LT and has played a few snaps there and at LG. He's coming off a big injury so we'll see but he's young and talented. Corbett was added via trade and was a high draft choice with size and talent who filled in at LG admirably down the stretch. He can play all 3 inside spots. Blythe was a RG on our SB team in 2018, is smart, experienced and can play all three inside spots. Edwards and Evans were both drafted and filled in well at various spots. They are both former tackles who are now trained in the guard spots. They could both start. Havs was injured last year and had poor games. He is a giant who has been very effective in prior years. He is a super strong run blocker and usually uses his long arms to slow down rushers. His resurgence is a key to 2020. Allen didn't look strong enough at center and then got hurt. After another offseason in the weight room he might be the answer at center for the next 10 years. All this without any new FAs or anyone else in the draft. We do have a lot of talent as three starters from our SB season of two years ago were still with the team, but Whit and Blythe are both now FAs. If they resign we have a LT and center. If Havs is healthy we have our RT. For our guards we have Boom, Corbett, Evans and Edwards. Play the best two. Probably one would be Edwards. The others serve with Allen as depth. Think most teams would take that collective talent over their OL. Now, it's just as possible that Whit and/or Blythe sign elsewhere. Boom may not be back to full strength and maybe even Havs is still hurting. Hat would be 4/5ths of our OL and we would need to add significant talent.
Bottom line is there's no real way to know until FA happens to see who might be back or who might be signed to replace if either departs. Boom is evidently on track for opening day and I haven't heard much about Havs. Corbett, Edwards and Evans gained valuable experience and looked pretty good. They should only get better. Allen should be healthy as his injury was early last season. McVay will have a plan because we couldn't run or throw and he's an offensive mind. He wants to go back to averaging 30+ points a game with like 200 yds on the ground and 300 passing. We could do that in '18 and couldn't last season. With all the attention of the new stadium we have to win and win big. I think we will.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Very interesting take on Rams current OL situation by oldnotdead...

Rams43570January 31, 2020 06:54AM

I don't think Allen was playing 'well' before the injury

promomasterj260January 31, 2020 07:28AM

I don’t share ‘oldnotdead’s’ opinion of Allen’s play, either...

Rams43188January 31, 2020 07:58AM

he's off about a lot

ferragamo79157January 31, 2020 03:28PM

The writer is either delusional or never watched a Rams game.

Deadhead Ram242January 31, 2020 08:42AM

Ohiorams263January 31, 2020 10:36AM

SoCalRAMatic211January 31, 2020 11:11AM

LMU93161January 31, 2020 11:34AM