Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Very interesting take on Rams current OL situation by oldnotdead...

January 31, 2020 06:54AM
Read and discuss.

Here’s oldnotdead...

In 2018 the Rams began to rebuild their O-line. That year they drafted Noteboom and Allen their LT and C of the future. In his limited snaps in 2018 Noteboom played well at LT displaying the potential they saw in their scouting. In Allen, they had their Center who spent the year being mentored by an excellent John Sullivan who was brought in on a short contract for that purpose.

In 2019 they finished their starting 0-line rebuild with drafting Edwards and Evans and trading for Corbett someone they had targeted in his draft but was picked by Cleveland before they had a chance to grab him.

How have they done? Before his injury, Allen was rated by many services including PFF as playing as well or better than Sullivan.

#LARams Austin Corbett and David Edwards were able to provide some impressive production in 2019 during a period of OL uncertainty

Among all Guards (min 500 snaps):
- Corbett allowed 11 pressures (4th) and 1 sack (T-7th)
- Edwards allowed 14 pressures (T-6th) and 1 sack (T-7th)

According to the rankings, the Ram rebuilt interior o-line is looking pretty darn good. There is no question that Evans easily outplayed Havenstein at RT. Give this unit time to gel and there is real talent on the o-line. Their problems were in essence poor technique in the run attack. That IMO is at the feet of Kromer and Dickerson who did a piss poor job in coaching them up to make the transition from a simplistic outside zone to more of a power gap scheme. But the underlying talent is clearly there if it is properly developed.

Poor coaching also was apparent in the RBs when they really struggled to understand how to execute the new run scheme.

They look to have decent depth with Brewer and Shelton as their gameday reserves.

The only concern would be when Noteboom will be 100% ready. In that case, they could simply move Edwards to LT and Brewer or Shelton at RG until Noteboom returns. What I'm saying is that McVay and Snead have assembled their starters on the o-line, they simply need time to develop and gel as a unit. IMO this could be a very good o-line, especially in pass protection which is in actuality the most difficult skill the o-line must master.

As I've postulated in another tread I see this team moving to a power gap run attack. I think they might draft a FB or they simply could have Mundt or better yet Blanton at 6'6" 266 lbs, as a lead blocker out of a pulling TE or H-back position. They also add value as receivers as well.

The bottom line I simply don't see the need to spend draft capital on the o-line at this point and neither do I see a reason to be overly concerned. As long as the coaches step up their game the unit should be fine.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Very interesting take on Rams current OL situation by oldnotdead...

Rams43570January 31, 2020 06:54AM

I don't think Allen was playing 'well' before the injury

promomasterj260January 31, 2020 07:28AM

I don’t share ‘oldnotdead’s’ opinion of Allen’s play, either...

Rams43189January 31, 2020 07:58AM

he's off about a lot

ferragamo79157January 31, 2020 03:28PM

The writer is either delusional or never watched a Rams game.

Deadhead Ram243January 31, 2020 08:42AM

Re: The writer is either delusional or never watched a Rams game.

Ohiorams263January 31, 2020 10:36AM

SoCalRAMatic212January 31, 2020 11:11AM

LMU93162January 31, 2020 11:34AM