Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Why Gregg Williams is NOT a fit as Rams DC

December 30, 2019 11:19AM
I know that many are clamoring for the return of GW. But he is not a fit, IMO, under McVay. Here's why:

1) Culture. Under McVay, the Rams coaches are teachers, finding ways to use their coaching prowess to reach individual players. Their only ask? Does the players have a passion for football. GW is a "my way or the highway" coach who manages by fear and "do what you're told"

2) Teaching. McVay strives to explain "why" a play works the way it does. He stresses this to explain all roles to any player who asks. So that a WR can know why the OL is blocking down or an OT understands the WR route tree on a certain play. GW is the opposite - do what you're told.... and don't f-up.

3) Language. McVay is a cerebral coach. He does not curse easily. So when he does, it gets the players' attention. With GW, every other word is an f-bomb. There's no way to raise the tension or expectation level beyond where it already is.

The combination of the above leads me to believe that it is not only results that McVay is looking for. He wants to make sure that the coach matches the synergy that he has established, in making the Rams a premier destination for free agents. Adding GW would be a complete 180 degree change from everything he's done and would immediately erode the foundation he has built.

Having said that, GW has done an admirable job with the Jets. But I don't feel that he is a fit for the McVay Rams.

RFS69
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Why Gregg Williams is NOT a fit as Rams DC

RamsFanSince69517December 30, 2019 11:19AM

I live in deep Jets country.

Deadhead Ram292December 30, 2019 11:31AM

My Browns friends loved him, as well..

sstrams230December 30, 2019 12:44PM

Re: My Browns friends loved him, as well..

Ekern55187December 30, 2019 03:41PM

Agree with this a hundred times over

NewMexicoRam195December 30, 2019 04:27PM

NO!

JimYoungblood53197December 30, 2019 07:34PM

Re: What about results?

dzrams184December 30, 2019 09:22PM

I find this thread comical

den-the-coach281December 31, 2019 08:28AM