Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

TRANSCRIPTS: HC McVay, QB Goff, RB Gurley II --July 27, 2019

July 28, 2019 01:04AM
TRANSCRIPTS: Head Coach Sean McVay, QB Jared Goff, RB Todd Gurley II -- Media Availability -- July 27, 2019

TRANSCRIPT: Rams Head Coach Sean McVay – Media Availability – July 27, 2019

(Opening Remarks)

“It was a good first day out here. A lot of great fan support, so that certainly always makes us feel good. I know the players loved it, it was a great atmosphere here, so it was good to get it kicked off the right way.”

(On how RB Todd Gurley II looked in practice)

“He looked good. It was really good just to get our whole team out there today. It’s getting guys like (Rcool smiley Todd (Gurley II), (WR) Cooper (Kupp) out there. (DT) Aaron (Donald) looked great, great to see him and have him out here for the first day of camp. Until you go back and look at the film, it’s always hard to say, but it seemed like there was a lot of good energy, a lot of good communication and a lot of things that we can clean up as well.”

(On if Gurley’s workload today will be similar throughout camp and if there will be days he doesn’t practice)

“There will be. There will be some days dependent on his workload – and like we said, kind of looking towards that Carolina (Panthers) game – we might look at him as the way we’ve kind of treated some of those veteran players. Todd really has kind of become a veteran player as well, so you could see the workload from day-to-day be alternated based on what we get from the GPS tracking system and really how he’s feeling most importantly.”

(On RB Darrell Henderson Jr. receiving reps with the first team)

“(Running Backs Coach) Skip (Peete) has done a great job. Really right now we’re just kind of getting guys in and out so I wouldn’t look too much into the first, the second team. But, (Rcool smiley John Kelly made some plays at the end for us as well. But (Rcool smiley Darrell (Henderson Jr.) has been impressive. He’s got a nice demeanor about himself, very exciting skill set, but he is a young player. I’ve been impressed with how quickly he’s picked it up. It’s a credit to him and also Coach Peete.”

(On the defensive line having a lot of different skill sets)

“It is. And I think the biggest thing is we’ll be able to do some different things personnel grouping-wise. (Defensive Line) Coach (Eric) Henderson and (Assistant Defensive Line) Coach (Thad) Bogardus have done an excellent job. (Outside Linebackers Coach) Chris Shula working with the outside linebackers, so you can really see there’s a lot of comfort with the depth that we do have. A lot of younger guys and they’re just continuing to take ownership on some of the things that we’re doing. It certainly is exciting to see those guys go to work.”

(On if DT Sebastian Joseph-Day has taken a step forward)

“He has. He really had a good offseason. He was one of the guys that really stood out for us. I think he’s really taken a big step from year one to year two with what we’ve seen so far. Certainly when you’re playing in the trenches, putting the pads on is usually the best indicator. But, in terms of a guy who has done what he can control up to this point and putting himself in a position to compete to see a lot of playing time, he’s done that.”

(On how WR Cooper Kupp looked coming off his ACL injury)

“I thought he looked good. You can see he’s just such a good football player. He’s so smart. I think the more reps that he gets at full speed, the more comfortable he’s going to get. You know how conscientious he is and he’s only going to continue to get better. But I think to be a full participant at this point is a real credit to the work that he’s put in and (Senior Director of Sports Medicine and Performance) Reggie (Scott) and his staff.”

(On if he appreciated seeing Kupp out on the field more than usual)

“Oh yeah. He’s such a special player and certainly I thought it (Kupp’s injury) provided a great opportunity for some other guys like (WR) Josh Reynolds and like (TE) Gerald Everett to really step up and become big-time players. But, Cooper Kupp’s a special guy and really the more playmakers you can have, the better situation we’re in. But, like anything else, when something that you love is taken away from you, I think it gives you that much greater appreciation and love for the game. He’s about as passionate of a player as I’ve been around, and I certainly share the same feelings as all the coaches and his teammates – we’re excited to have him back out here with us.”

(On if Kupp shares the same attention to detail as former Indianapolis Colts QB Peyton Manning)

“I’ve only met Peyton (Manning) a few times and been around him, but he’s a special guy. But, in terms of the players I’ve been around, in terms of the intrinsic motivation, the way that he’s wired, he’s as special as it gets. Really, he’s one of those guys that you love working with because he keeps you accountable as a coach. You better make sure you have the answers to the questions because he’s doing his homework and if you say something wrong, he’s going to find a way to expose you. In a good way, though. It’s always positive.”

(On if he has stressed the importance of this point of the season to his team)

“I think the guys are on the same page, but it is certainly something we talk about. You wipe the slate clean every year. There are 31 other teams that have the same goals as us. But, I think really like last year, the only way you achieve goals in this league is you produce in the present and you just control what you can control. Everybody has the long-term goals, but you don’t even give yourself a chance to achieve those if you don’t accomplish temporary things that we can control in the day. I thought we got better and I think there’s going to be a lot of things we can look at to hopefully improve for tomorrow.”

(On having DT Aaron Donald on the field for camp this season)

“To have (DT) Aaron (Donald) out here is great. And really, in a lot of ways, for what it represents and the influence and effect he has on his teammates. He raises the level of play of everybody here. I think it’s great, especially getting accustomed to a new defensive line coach and he and Coach Henderson have a great rapport. But, it’s outstanding having Aaron here and the more reps that (OL) Joe (Noteboom) and (C) Brian (Allen) can get, the better off they are. We’re going to intentionally challenge them throughout the course of this camp – finding ways to create some stressful situation and I think so far they (Noteboom and Allen) are putting themselves in a position to do a great job. (Run Game Coordinator) Aaron Kromer does an outstanding job developing these young players and you can see their confidence growing by the day.”

(On is early impressions of S Eric Weddle)

“(He’s a) coach on the field – incredibly smart, intuitive player. Got great instincts. We always talk about it all the time, be a great communicator. He’s as good a communicator as I’ve ever been around in terms of his ownership for how all 11 (players) should look in reaction to what the offense presents. He can play all over the field and I think you look at what’s made him such a special player over the course of his career and he comes right in, his teammates love him, his coaches feel fortunate to be able to work with him. I love the guy and we’re sure glad he’s here.”

(On if he’s changed his approach going into his third training camp)

“I wouldn’t say there’s anything about the approach. I think you just try to learn what can you do better to maximize each day. Be more efficient with your time. How do you allocate it specific to offense, defense, special teams? And then, also, continuing to just get a feel for the team. We’ve got so many players right now that it’s about building and developing those relationships. We always look at tweaking the schedule, but I think it’s more about just being efficient with the time that you do have than anything else.”

(On CB Marcus Peters not holding out of training camp heading into the final year of his contract)

“I think it’s a credit to him. He loves being around here. That’s the one thing you love about (Ccool smiley Marcus (Peters) and a lot of our players – they love competing and they love football. You see him out here, he’s one of those guys. He’s always got a good juice and a nice swagger about himself. I think he wants to put himself in a position to have a great season. I thought the way that he ended last year gives him a lot of positive momentum to build off of that. And if he does, there’s going to be a lot of good things that happen for the Rams and Marcus Peters.”

(On if he feels Noteboom and Allen are where they need to be)

“I think it’s too early to really say that. I think we’re confident in them. I think like anything else, really, for those guys up front especially, putting the pads on is the best indicator. Their understanding of what we’re trying to get done – Brian’s communication and then just physically, Joe’s looking like he’s in a really good position. Feel good about those guys knowing that there’s a long way to go, but there’s a reason why we have a lot of confidence in them, but they certainly have to earn it every day.”

(On what LB Dakota Allen has to do to make the team)

“I think really, just compete to the best of his ability. He was limited with some of the things that prevented him from competing as much as you’d like in the offseason, but he looks healthy. He’s feeling good. He was a guy that really has great instincts and awareness. I think he’s a guy that you could potentially see be a guy that contributes for bones. But, these younger guys – really it’s a great opportunity for them to carve a role out for themselves. I don’t think you ever want to set them into a role, but there was certainly a skill set that we liked on tape. He’s got a nice way about himself, too. I think that’s the one thing – these guys enjoy being around him. This team has a nice feel about them. We’re going to continue to come together during camp but I love these guys and I’m looking to seeing Dakota continue to grow.”

TRANSCRIPT: Rams QB Jared Goff – Media Availability – July 27, 2019

(Opening Remarks)

“I’m going to go ahead and start it off and congratulate (General Manager) Les (Snead) and (Head Coach) Sean (McVay). I think it’s so cool to see people rewarded for everything they’ve done and all the work they’ve put in and for Les and taking a chance on me a few years ago and then being rewarded for everything he’s done obviously since then. All the work he’s done is awesome. Then obviously we know what Sean’s done for me and our whole team. Couldn’t be happier with both of them and everything they’ve done. They’ve really earned it and good to see them rewarded.”

(On his feelings when General Manager, Les Snead, says ‘It is not a matter of him signing an extension, but when’)

“It’s awesome. It definitely gives me a lot of confidence and makes me feel good, but at the same time I understand how it works and just go out and play and do what I do and again, let that take care of itself.”

(On if he would like to get his contract extension taken care of before this season)

“Doesn’t matter to me. Whatever’s best for us.”

(On what he is interested in for his contract)

“I’m interested in winning games and whatever the best way to do that is, is what I’m for.”

(On his first day of training camp)

“It was great. It was really good, I think just being out here with the guys, I said this a minute ago, I think it was the first time that truly felt like we picked up where we left off with just first year with Sean, the second year we added with (WR) Brandin (Cooks) and then the third year, this is it, where everyone is kind of coming back collectively as a unit. It felt like there was no fall off at all we know exactly what we were doing and it felt really good.”

(On how RB Todd Gurley II looked at training camp)

“He looked great! I knew he would. He looks good. I think he looked good. To me, he looked like he always does and I know there’s obviously been a lot of talk about that, but he looks exactly like he did last year and exactly like the year before.”

(On how he makes sure to take care of the little things this week)

“I think you have to realize that you didn’t win the division two years in a row on accident and it started now and it started really in April and through that period of putting in the work, and doing the daily things and it’s not just going to happen because now we’re the Rams and we’re good and we’re just going to go win it, it doesn’t happen like that and I think we do realize that and have a mature group that realizes that it takes that effort every day and that diligence and it starts with Sean. He keeps us level headed very much so, so there’s no reason to worry about that. I think it just goes everyday and today was the first step.”

(On if he feels the presence from the defense)

“No doubt. I think just through the Spring and now and the first day you feel, for me personally, with the coverage, (S Eric) Weddle is a near, playing a little bit of a chess match out there. It’s so fun and so interesting. We’re able to talk about it and I’m learning so much and soaking it all up as much as I can. Same thing with (Lcool smiley Clay (Matthews), I’ll talk to Clay about rush stuff. He’s such a veteran, you can get bits and pieces from him and then obviously (DT) Aaron (Donald) and (DL Michael) Brockers and all those guys do their thing. Its been good to see.”

(On if WR Cooper Kupp coming strong into the season boosts his confidence)

“No doubt. I think he’s right where he’s supposed to be and I think he feels good and moral is good. I asked him ‘Hey, you’re glad you got that one, huh?’ He was like, ‘Yeah, it felt good.’ So, it was good to get him one today and I think it’s like anything else. You take enough time off of anything, there’s some rust to knock off and I’m sure he’d echo that and I’m sure it’ll take a week or two and he’ll be himself, but he looked great.”

(On if he feels more mature starting his fourth training camp)

“Yeah, definitely. I think every year that tends to build and this year’s no different. I feel one year older than I did last year and understand the offense so much more. I think this year is truly the first year where it didn’t feel so big and you’re so used to it at this point that even though we had so many great fans out here, you’re just so used to it just with last year and the way it went. It felt good and I feel great.”

(On a play that CB Aqib Talib picked and how he feels now compared to three years ago)

“I don’t put as much weight on each play, I think I’m a little bit more secure in myself and I understand what matters and what doesn’t. That play in particular is just gone and moved on. I think it’s just understanding each play is separate, especially in practice and training camp, just trying to work. At times I tend to try things a bit too much and get a little bit on it, but that was just one of those.”

(On it being the time to try new things)

“Yeah, I tend to think that and then I know the coaches do at times where you want to do everything right, but there are situations where I’m going to try to fit this ball in and see if I can do it and I’m going to try to do this and that. You want to be smart about it, of course, but early on, I kind of try stuff.”

(On talking to CB Aqib Talib after the play)

“I told him I did it on purpose (laughs).”

(On the importance of building relationships and getting good information from teammates)

“It’s great. You have all of those veterans that we have on defense. Just like I said about Weddle, same thing with (Ccool smiley Aqib (Talib), just being able to pick his brain and ask him a situation like that, ‘What were you thinking? What did you see? What did I do that gave it away?’ Different stuff like that can help me get better.”

(On how RB Todd Gurley II has handled himself)

“It’s special. The type of guy he is and I’ve talked about it before just the type of teammate and guy he is. For him to handle, again, what I feel is not much of an issue, everyone asks me about it every single day. I can’t imagine what he’s dealing with. Then he comes out here and he’s the same guy, the same pro and looks exactly the same as he has the last two years and I’m excited for him to finally have some hush maybe. I’m excited for him to put some of those people to rest and I know he is too, but I expect him to be his old self.”

TRANSCRIPT: Rams RB Todd Gurley II – Media Availability – July 27, 2019

(On being back at camp)

“Feels good. Feels good.”

(On if there is a difference from last year)

“Just another year. Just got to get your mind mentally prepared for training camp and just another season.”

(On if he was looking forward to this training camp because of the questions about his knee)

“No, I don’t think anyone looks forward to training camp. But, it’s cool to be around the boys. Haven’t seen those guys in a long time, so just being out here and hanging with those guys is cool.”

(On how his knee feels)

“It’s good, just out here doing what I do. Obviously, I’m about to go do some recovery after this and just get ready for the next day.”

(On people asking QB Jared Goff about his knee)

“Y’all have got to stop putting this bad energy in my knee, man. Just let it be.”

(On if he’s eager to show everyone that he’s fine)

“I’m not eager doing this. I don’t have to prove anything to nobody. I have been doing this for years now. So, it’s the same stuff every year.”

(On if he has any frustration about the constant reports about his knee)

“No, because I don’t entertain stuff. When you entertain stuff that’s when you start letting stuff get to you, you start being emotional. And it’s the internet, right? How serious can you take the internet? I mean for some people it’s their job. I mean, let them do their job. You do your job. My job is to play football. Your job is to write and report. So, I don’t take it anyway. I don’t feel no way about it. You’ve got to have a story, you’ve got to have something to talk about. It’s the offseason so it is what it is.”

(On if he has anything to prove)

“Nope. I’ve been doing this for so long bro. It’s my job this what I do, you know? Just had a couple months off and it’s just like alright, let’s go back to work.”

(On if he is approaching training camp the same as he has in the past)

“Definitely business as usual. Whether it’s anybody, it doesn’t matter how hard you workout in the offseason, you still want to knock the dust off a little bit and just get out here and get your feet moving. But obviously being here with (General Manager) Les (Snead), I mean I’m thinking about their extensions and stuff. I need to find out how much they’re making. But actually, congratulations to Les and (Head) Coach (Sean) McVay, they definitely deserve it. They helped me get my deal. We helped them get theirs. You know, we all work together. I’m super excited to be around those guys for more years to come. What was your question again?”

(On if he is doing anything differently at this point in his career)

“Now, it’s like I’ve done everything. I never would have thought I would have done any of this. For me, just playing for my teammates, playing for the Rams, and playing for the Super Bowl honestly. I’ve been blessed and been fortunate enough to be able to be a first-round pick so to be an All-Pro player, to be in Los Angeles and play with great teammates and a great coaching staff. Just a great staff period on the Rams, so not really too much I can ask for.”

(On the specific plan in place for training camp)

“It’s a great plan. Veteran plan. That’s why I love (Head) Coach (Sean McVay), that’s why I love (Senior Director, Sports Medicine and Performance) Reggie (Scott), that’s why I love the whole strength staff, and that’s why I love the Rams. It’s going to be a good camp. Obviously, when it’s time to work, it’s time to work. And when it’s time to sit back and relax, I need to do my part as well in making sure I’m ready, getting mentally prepared and just staying focused helping other guys out.”

(On how much practice is involved in his specific training camp plan)

“Yeah, I mean football ain’t nothing but practice, so I don’t really have a choice but to do that. But, it’ll be a good plan. Obviously, we’ve been able to talk about it. You know, all I can worry about is just day by day, focus on these meetings that’s about to come up and you know worry about tomorrow.”

(On the athletic training and coaching staffs working together more for the players benefit)

“I mean at the end of the day it’s all about us. We’re the ones out there practicing, we’re the ones out there playing. When you have a great staff as the one we do, you can communicate. It’s like, you know, preseason, it’s like pointless. So, it’s like, ‘Why would y’all want me to play preseason?’ But having that understanding, being able to communicate with those guys and have a plan. But then also know that I’m not doing preseason. That’s not my time to relax, that’s my time to still be out there helping other guys. And also, whatever I have to do on the side with Ted (Rath) or the strength staff, I need to do that as well, too.”

(On if he has a newfound confidence and different energy going into this season considering some recent magazine covers and overall media coverage)

“Like I said, I’ve been doing this for years now. It’s like what’s understood (doesn’t) have to be explained sometimes. I love my teammates, and obviously I love myself as well, so I like to enjoy life. That’s all I’m about.”

(On enjoying himself and watching other sports)

“It was good. I don’t really watch football like that, other than when I’m playing it, but I’m always a big fan of sports. I started my foundation this offseason. It was about, obviously I had football involved, but it was about more of every sport. Whether it’s basketball, baseball, tennis, like hockey. I like sports because every guy always says we have the hardest sport. But when you go watch a boxing match or a MMA match or tennis – I watched the Federer-Djokovic (match). Those guys were going, what four hours and 57 minutes? There’s no way in hell I would have been able to play football for four hours and 57 minutes. So, you just have a different level of respect and you also learn a lot of stuff from other athletes as well.”

(On DT Aaron Donald back in camp)

“We’ve been going against the two’s but so, I’m kind of glad. It’s good to have ‘AD’ out here. He hasn’t out been here, huh? I haven’t really noticed man (laughs).”

(On WR Cooper Kupp being back in camp)

“It’s good, I know Kupp’s been working. Like, that’s the last guy I would be worried about. He’s such a hard worker, he’s such a professional. He knows what to do. I’ve seen him putting in work this whole offseason. So, it’s still good to see him out on the field, but … I expected nothing less out of him, honestly.”

(On his offseason)

“It was a great offseason, I had a lot of time to relax and get my feet up underneath me, do some training. So, now I’m ready to go. Excited to start with the team and I’m ready to make another run.”
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

TRANSCRIPTS: HC McVay, QB Goff, RB Gurley II --July 27, 2019

Shaky338July 28, 2019 01:04AM