Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A Fans View: The Road to the Super Bowl

January 24, 2019 09:32PM
One of my fondest memories as a Ram fan was how it felt to be at the NFC Championship game following the great 1999 regular season (January 23, 2000). I had never heard any crowd like the way the Trans World Dome rocked on that cold January day. Being in a city that had gone decades without ever winning a playoff game until just a week earlier to being a mere 60 minutes from the Super Bowl, had amped the crowd up like nothing I could even imagine.

By the time this game was played, I had been a ram fan since 1975, the 24 years of watching had seasoned me.

When the Rams had made it to Super Bowl 14, I was 9 years old. I didn’t have a big enough frame of reference to realize how special it was. For the short time I had been watching, the Rams were one of the dominant teams in the NFL. When they were spoken of, it was always with reverence. So the fact that they got to the Super Bowl in 1980, while great for me, didn’t seem like a once in a lifetime experience.

1999 was different.

I was 29 years old, had a job which allowed me to travel and be at the games and, by then, I had a deep appreciation of how precious the “great moments” were. They are rare and special and to be cherished.

When Proehl made the magical catch with just under 5 to play and the dome erupted, you knew instantly that this “catch” would be remembered like 49ers fans remembered Clark snatching a ball out of the air against the Cowboys. But remarkably, the game wasn’t over yet, TB still had time and the crazy score 11-5 was the type of score that kept your heart rate at highly elevated levels.

With under :40 seconds, TB QB Shawn King hits receiver Bert Emanuel with a pass that takes the ball deep into Rams territory and in a position to go the last 22 yards to win the game. Clearly it was a catch and the Bucs were moving up to keep trying to spoil the Rams dream.

Then something strange happened.

The refs stopped the action.

The replay shows the ball slightly moving in Emanuel’s hand and the pass is ruled “incomplete”.

The stadium goes nuts. It was the last real threat Tampa would make and the Rams held on to claim the Championship.

The controversy over that call led to what is now known as the “Bert Emanuel Rule”. For Tampa fans, it came too late. For Rams fans, that moment was quickly forgotten as the final gun sounded.

Players were swirling towels, running around the field, they were NFC Champions and they were headed to the Super Bowl. The Rams were going to the Super Bowl.

Crazy things were happening in the stadium that I had never seen live. Stages came out, trophies were presented and they kept talking about how the Rams, THE RAMS were GOING TO THE SUPER BOWL!!!!!!!!

I still get goose bumps thinking of how it felt.

I was in the upper deck, high up in the End Zone and when the trophy celebration ended, the fans filled the ramps heading out to the Street. Echoing in the inner corridors of the stadium, I can still hear it: SUPER BOWL!!!!! SUPER BOWL!!!! SUPER BOWL!!!!! All the way to the Streets: SUPER BOWL!!!!!!!!!

As I exited, the lighting was strange and light snow started to fall. A newspaper boy had POST DISPATCH special edition showing the Rams going to the Super Bowl. It felt like a dream and, for a moment, I thought maybe it was. I quickly grabbed about 10 of those papers figuring if it was a dream, I probably would not be able to actually touch them. Something would wake me or the papers would fade away as I tried to grasp them.

But the Papers did not fade away.

They felt real in my hands and the light snow flakes felt amazing. Looking around, I was looking for someone, anyone, who I could really share this moment with as I had traveled there alone. I was looking for my football soulmate among the thousands in the crowd.

Like two balls of mercury rolling near each other, I see another fan wearing an Isaac Bruce Jersey shaking his head in disbelief. We look at each other.
Almost simultaneously we say “WE ARE GOING TO THE SUPER BOWL!!!!!”. Full embrace, like long lost brothers who both had given up on ever seeing each other again. Seriously, we held each other for what seemed like a minute. It was @#$%& AWESOME to celebrate that moment with someone who I just knew felt the same way I did.

Since that game back in 2000, I learned the following truth: there is really nothing like the ENERGY of a championship game. The crowd is almost exclusively “real” fans, not sponsors, celebrities or bozos. They know what is at stake – that literally within a few hours, your team can punch a ticket to the big dance. I vowed, if I ever had the chance to go again. I would definitely go.

Even more than a Super Bowl, the championship game is pure gold.

As luck would have it, two years later, I got to go again.

Again, it did not disappoint. The Fans in St Louis were absolutely amazing. While not as loud as the Tampa game, they still rocked the noise in a big way. I couldn’t even communicate with my brother who was sitting right next to me because of how loud it was and we bagged another trip to the Big Dance.

There really is nothing like playoff football for an opportunity to really experience an iconic moment with your team.

The problem, of course, is that these games --- the ones that come with great rewards -- also carry great risks. The pain associated with those losses are multiplied to ridiculous levels.

I know this first hand.

Almost 17 years ago, on February 3, 2002, I sat devastated in the Super Dome.

I had just witnessed an unbelievably talented Rams team, one that had been unbeaten on the road that year, claw back from a 17-3 deficit in Super Bowl 36, only to watch Adam Vinitieri stick a dagger through my heart.

What's worse, just a year earlier, I was sitting in nearly the same spot to watch Az Hakim fumble away the chance to defend our SB 34 crown when the Rams again had made a furious comeback against the Saints.

Two soul wrenching losses -- in the same place -- in consecutive years. The pain was unbelievable. I'd never been back to New Orleans since that fateful date in 2002.

I really never wanted to return.

There were simply too many bad memories there for me.

What was supposed to be a christening of the Rams Dynasty turned out to actually be the birth of the Patriots Machine.

February 3, 2002.

The great Rams teams of that era would never return to this big stage or even compete for another Conference Championship. In the meantime, the Patriots became literal GOLIATHS smashing previously unheard of bench marks to establish themselves as the undisputed GREATEST TEAM OF ALL TIME.

The Rams unfortunately, found themselves back in the middle of the desert.

When the new dry spell came -- It wasn’t clear upfront if it was just a dry patch or a trip across the Gobi. Luckily (despite what Saints fans believe) the future is unknowable. Can you imagine knowing, at the beginning of that journey in 2002, that we would have to walk dunes that included a 15-65 streak and the firing of Martz, Vitt, Linehan, Haslett, Spagnuolo, Fisher and Fassel as head coaches before we would become relevant again?

When the big oasis came into sight in the form of Coach McVay, it was remarkable how inundated with water we suddenly were. Coach of the Year, Offensive Player of the Year, Defensive Player of the Year.

Having awards however, doesn’t automatically translate into Sports Magic.

That much became clear when we were rudely dismissed from the playoffs after one game in the Wild Card weekend last year.

It was a great year but it wasn’t magical.

When the Sports Gods determine your Destiny, it can’t be denied.

Early on, it may not be clear, in fact, it may seem the opposite, like when your newly acquired QB that is playing like the 2nd Coming is rolled up by Rodney Harrison exposing a backup QB from Northern Iowa.

It took a minute, but week in, week out, those who were in tune, they saw it.

Sports Magic is distinctive.

From the very beginning, this year has felt different to me and yes, magical.

As I posted from Oakland after week 1, I noticed something this year which was a hallmark of the Greatest Show. The players, while obviously incredibly talented, loved each other and appeared to truly care for one another.

There is a clear confidence, a belief and a bond. It’s the very stuff that magic is made of and when you lock into it and can see it, you know something special is swirling within its grasp.

The True Magic shows up in the Playoffs.

This year, when I learned that the Rams would be playing Dallas in the Divisional Round, I was thrilled. I thought it was so fitting that we would play the hated cowboys, a team that inflicted so much pain for Rams fans in the days of yore.

Los Angeles Rams v. Dallas Cowboys. Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum. Blue and Gold Uniforms against “America’s Team”.

Sounded pretty magical to me.

The week started with a PM from SST.

He asked me to write a special pregame headbutt befitting the event. I was honored, not because I felt that I could do something special or better than him, but because I consider SST part of my ram family, as hard core as anyone and someone who I hold in the highest regard as a fan.

Of course, I accepted.

When we went back and forth in our messages about what to post, rather than thinking of all the great Ram moments against the Cowboys (Dickerson, Waddy etc), we decided to go in the other direction and talk about the PAIN those MFs with stars on their helmets had inflicted on us over the years.

From my hotel room in LA, on the night before the game, I sent SST the following headbutt to see if he liked it:
===================================================================
Tonight, our Road to the Lombardi begins.

It begins in the shadows of the great old stadium that is owed the privilege of this moment.

The Los Angles Rams v. The Dallas Cowboys.

The Playoffs.

The Coliseum.

What the World finds out tonight is that Tonight . . .

Tonight is our TIME.

Tonight we erase all of the bad images of the past.

Tonight we put the pain on the Cowboys!

Tonight is for the 1973, 1975, 1978 and 1980 Ram Playoff teams.

Tonight is for the pain caused by Staubach and Pearson and Dorsett and Henderson.

Tonight is for Romo fumbling 30 yards backwards and still gaining a first down.

Tonight is for the arrogance of accepting being called “America’s Team”

Tonight is for every morsel of hate that exists for a team.

Tonight is for the LOS ANGELES RAMS!

This is OUR TIME!

We Can.

We Must!

WE WILL!!!!

@#$%& DEM COWBOYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[Head Butt]

SST Loved it and we both were fired up for the game.
=========================================================================
On the morning of the game, my friend Phil picked me up. We were at the Atlanta game the year before and wanted to shake up the pregame routine for this one. I had lived in LA during law school so I was familiar with the area and rather than going directly to the stadium for pregame festivities, I would shake it up by taking him to a cemetery.

I’ve always loved cemeteries both for their beauty and for their history. Because I used to live in the Brentwood area, I always used to take visitors to the Pierce Brother’s Cemetery. It is a small cemetery about the size of a couple of football fields tucked in amongst some tall buildings made famous mostly because Marilyn Monroe is there. I used to show people her tomb and the empty one next to it which Hugh Hefner bought so he could be interred next to her when he died.

I had graduated from Law School in 1995 so I hadn’t been back since Hef died and I was curious to see him and who else has ended up there. As we pulled in, it did seem kind of tacky to walk amongst the dead in such a small cemetery with our Rams jerseys on. . . . . particularly with an active service going on.

The thing is, it’s a famous cemetery, with countless names like Dean Martin, Jack Lemmon, Walter Matthau, Rodney Dangerfield, Merv Griffin, Don Knotts & Florence Henderson. I mean you can’t move too far without recognizing another name.

It was a good way to take our minds off of the big football game that was looming.

As we meandered about, killing time, Phil and I kind of took separate paths. I wanted to see where Mrs. Brady (Florence Henderson) was buried but it appeared it was kind of close to the service that was taking place. Being the superstitious guy that I am, I tell Phil, “if we don’t get a picture of Mrs. Brady’s grave, the Rams are going to lose. You do realize that?”

The hunt is on.

We figure out from photos and maps, that she is indeed directly smack in the middle of an active burial service. I tell Phil, “use your 100x zoom on your fancy phone and take some pictures and see if we can get it on film but don’t let any of the mourners see you with your BLUE AND GOLD 99 JERSEY on walking near where their loved one is being put in the ground. I mean, show some @#$%& respect!”

We pick sides and split up, seeing who can get the critical photo. As I move into position on one side of a hedge, a security detail, heretofore unseen by me, starts moving directly towards me so I kind of drift in another direction, but the guy doesn’t appear to be stopping.

I figure I will skirt around a crypt and wait him out because he is guarding one of the sides.

The dude isn’t stopping.

I turn the corner looking for a place to basically hide but I still hear him coming.

I could tell he was wondering what I was doing creeping around this service. I’m thinking about what I am going to say? It didn’t feel right to say . . . “Uh, I’m here to see Mrs. Brady cause I watched the Brady Bunch a ton when I was a kid” It sounded too corny, creepy even -- obviously I had to say something but I couldn’t really think of what to say and frankly, the truth didn't sound too good.

As I am trying to come up with a plausible cover. . . . . I look up at the crypt I am standing by and the answer hits me like a bolt of lightning.

I smile and just start to shake my head as the security guy turns the corner and faces me in my Mark Barron jersey.

“Sir, you do realize a funeral is going on?”

“Yes I do but it was very important that I come here today.”

“Why?” he demands

“I need to say a few words to her” pointing to the wall.

He turns and looks:

Boom. Tables turned!!

“Of course, you know who she is right?”

“Yes. I’m sorry he says”

I can’t believe it.

I had NO IDEA she was there. But there she was. The lady who said she moved the Rams to Missouri to bring them “home”, had herself laid to rest in . . . . LOS ANGELES.

Me standing in front of her in a Rams jersey on the day of the BIG GAME was TOTALLY APPROPRIATE to the occasion.

That’s the neat thing about Sports Magic. When it is swirling, it can’t be denied and it touches all that are connected to it.

When it’s happening and you are in tune, its as clear as day.

I wave Phil over who is smiling ear to ear as he shows me a crystal clear picture of a grave with the inscription “FLORENCE HENDERSON”.

“I got it he said!”. “So did I”, I said pointing to Georgia.

“No way!”

I tell Georgia we had to go because the Los Angeles Rams were playing the Divisional Round against the Cowboys in just a few hours.

On to the Game!

True to the pregame head butt, the Rams, in three hours of dominating football, completely and totally out cowboyed the cowboys and put the NFL world on Notice.

The cowboy fan who sat next to me for three hours didn’t have a chance. He tried to spend the first five minutes of the game explaining to me how the Cowboys averaged over 5 yards a carry and the Rams give up 5 yards a carry and how it was going to be ugly for me.
But 5 minutes is about all he had because he was a knowledgeable fan. It was immediately clear that this Rams team came to play in an aggressive and physical style and the Cowboys were in big trouble.

It was one of those “uh-oh” moments we have been on the other side of many times and I give him credit for noticing. As the game wore on, the early comments about Vander Esch and Jaylon Smith sounded more like Charlie Browns teacher than anything coherent.

The thrill of watching a dominating, physical, running style and the obliteration of a team that pictured that exact thing happening to us was further evidence of sports magic.

When Gurley went into the endzone on his long TD run, he and CJ were seen trolling Zeke by doing the spoon feeding thing.

Forget the score, that was a totally dominant performance. Big hits abound, including what looked like an attempted to kill Zeke by Dante Fowler, Jr. The rams were swarming to the ball and they were doing so with bad intentions FOR THE WHOLE GAME.

As the time ticked off and the Cowboys knew they were done, they started leaving in droves. I along with tens of thousands of my friends, joined the PA system in singing them off with “HIT THE ROAD JACK AND DON’T YOU COME BACK NO MORE”

As they left, I was sure to remind them that they could find the video of them leaving on youtube if they cared to relive the moment.

I saw Rampage and UK and Leafnose before the game for a few minutes. Leafnose talked about the 1978 playoff game and how painful it was and how it would be good to replace it with a newer, more vivid memory.

Walking out, among soooo many cowboy fans, and their were a ton, was heavenly.

When the I found myself in a particularly large block, I threw in the “HOW BOUT THEM COWBOYS!!!!!” just to enhance the experience.

The past pain associated with the Cowboys, along with so many other frustrations, evaporated that night.

The Rams had advanced to the FINAL FOUR.

In my heart, I was hoping to come back to LA for the championship game, but in my head, I knew if we were truly on a magic carpet ride, there was only place I would be headed the next weekend.

The one place, I really didn’t want to go.

The site of THE. WORST. FOOTBALL. PAIN. I. EVER. FELT.

I was headed to New Orleans.

Because this was a Championship game, the entire family was coming. Even the 2 year old. I have felt so strongly and deeply about this season that I wanted all my kids to say “I was there” when the Los Angeles Rams made it to the Super Bowl.

Our plane to Louisiana had a layover in Dallas. We had two hours to kill so we go grab something to eat at an airport restaurant. My wife, basically a vegan, asks the waitress “what kind of soup do you have”.

“Gumbo”.

My super fan son Michael looks at me with a big smile.

“I’ll have the Gumbo” I immediately say.

Until this trip, I had never eaten Gumbo but Marcus had me inspired and I vowed to eat Gumbo when I got to New Orleans but here we were in Dallas and I have never heard “Gumbo” be the one and only response to the question of “what kind of soup do you have” like EVER. I mean, it may happen in Texas or the South but I swear I have never heard that offered and certainly NOT as the ONLY OPTION!

Clearly this is a sign.

When we arrive in New Orleans, I was confronted with all of those uncomfortable memories from the past yet my heart was at peace. I knew I was here for a purpose. To erase all of those demons on my way to the Lombardi.

I knew to my core, we were going back to Atlanta and nothing could stop us.

I get an email from SST telling me he can’t do the headbutt this week and asks me to do it. (WHERE ARE YOU MAN!!!!). Of course, I am honored to oblige my ram brother.

The Head Butt:
===================================================================================
So on this Championship Sunday, I dedicate this HEADBUTT to Ram Fans EVERYWHERE

To Rams Fans, who against all odds, have never lost faith.

Who week in week out never miss a play and have hung with this team through everything.

For all you fans, TONIGHT we sit 60 minutes from a return trip to ATLANTA and our rendezvous with DESTINY.

The only thing that stands in our way is a Saints team that has disrespected us going back to the preseason.

A saints team that ran an ONSIDE KICK and challenged a 2 point conversion in the 4th PRESEASON GAME!

Whose star player hid cellphones in the goal posts so he could make a call after he scored.

Whose coach likes to talk @#$%& about our players and believes he is the smartest guy in the Room.

Whose stupid face is deserving of the beating his team is about to get.

Whose fans will get to watch us take the GEORGE HALAS Trophy in THEIR HOUSE!

WHO DAT???

WE DAT!!!!

LETS GO HAVE THAT GUMBO ON THE WAY TO GEORGIA!!!!!!!

KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

=================================================================================
I was so happy to see so many of my Ram Family join in the headbutt: Newer names like ABQ Rams and NorCal with the old timers, stlurams, BigjimRam21, Hazlet, our resident Physician NewMexicoRam, our poet Laureate Ramkind, our soldier Guard, Blacksheep, Ram Rock, our educator Ram Fan Teacher, our heart along with SST Ramgator, Arkansas, Dodger, Ramboni, RamFan in PA, the proflic zn, our Goddess MamaRama, Crazylegs, Ram Fan in Rio, the Godfather JamesJM, YoungbloodHOF and Leafnose.

When Leaf joined into this HOF group of legendary fans headbutting, I knew big things were in store.

When I entered the stadium with the opening of the gates, I carried with me all the herd – past and present - who I knew suffered like I did, cared like I did and hoped and believed like I did.

Given the magnitude of the game and the amount of security, I had to use a bit of ingenuity to work me and my oldest son to the tunnel. The wife and two younger kids would join us at kickoff.

When we get down there, I see Rodger Saffold working on coming out of stance against the pad on the goal post. The security was so tight, we were literally the only Ram fans right in that area other than few one section over so the players almost to a man acknowledged our presence.

We call out for Rodger. “Rodger, see if that Punk Michael Thomas has a cell phone hidden under there so you can snap it in two”. Rodger smiles and says “I’ll check.”

It was awesome, he literally lifted up the pad and looked around the whole base.

“Nothing” he said. “He ain’t getting there anyway, but I appreciating you checking Rodger”.

Rodger smiled and gave us a thumbs up.

Just then, I see my son taking off his hat and handing it down to Marcus Peters?

Peters?

MARCUS!!!!!

I turn around to the many saints fans in the area – hey, HERE IS THE GREAT MARCUS PETERS!!!!!! Any of you fools want to give this Alpha Dog any more motivation than he already has?

“CHECK MICHAEL THOMAS’S STATS AFTER THIS GAME AND SEE IF HIS COACH LIKES THAT MATCH UP --- A LOT AFTER MARCUS LOCKS IT DOWN”.

“Marcus is coming for that GUMBO!”

Marcus didn’t show any emotion but looks at me and says, really slowly, “Yeah” in only the way Marcus can.

ITS ON!

The fans were pouring in and they were PUMPED. I had heard Saint's owner Gayle Benson, moments earlier tell the throngs of fans that they would make the rams “SURRENDER TODAY”.

The energy level was off the hook. The Saints fans were in HOF Form.

Interestingly, there was a unifying theme of the Saints fans who showed up on that unseasonably cold January day – THEY, to a person, HAD NO DOUBT, AND I MEAN NO DOUBT that they would handle the Rams.

It wasn’t even a question.

When we took our seats, I took some ribbing from a season ticket holder who started complaining about “RON” listing his seats again and allowing a Ram fan to sit in their section.

I told him, “don’t you think this is kind of a bad sign for you?” “I mean there are 73,000 people here and maybe there are a total of 300 Ram fans and the fact that you didn’t just get any Ram fan, you got me -- is a really bad sign.”

“Were not worried about the Rams. We are worried about the next game”

My immediate response: “You are worried about Preseason Week 1? Man, that is weird! But of course, you come from a team that likes to run onside kicks and challenge two point conversions in the preseason, so I guess that makes it pretty exciting, but I am just not from that school of thought”.

He smiles and puts out his hand to shake: “You’ll see” he says.

“I am here to do just that my friend.”

While I appreciated his confidence, I really handn’t appreciated how committed WHO DAT NATION was to trying to derail the Ram dream.

I’ve been to games in many places, including a playoff game in Seattle and the great 1999 Championship game I referenced earlier, but nothing and I MEAN NOTHING compared to the noise those Saint’s fans made that day.

I mean, paraphrasing Jim Hanifan, “the Crowd noise?” “Its pretty @#$%& good”.

WHO DAT, WHO DAT, 73000 in Unison. I still shake my head at the noise they made.

It was the single greatest fan effort I have ever seen.

I mean these people were going NUTS during the play, before the play and after the play. There was virtually no let up and I give an assist to the organization that CONTINUED TO FUEL the fire throughout the game. During the commercial breaks, they would show a clip of some ram player saying “Were not affected by the noise” or the Atlanta Mayor saying she didn’t want the Saints to come to Georgia or Morton Anderson talking about how saints fans FIGHT!!!!! They never let up until the BITTER end!!!!

Each clip brought even more noise.

The infamous “whistle man” could be heard throughout the game. High pitched, @#$%& annoying. That said, FULL RESPECT for the performance that crowd put on. I never thought I would see or hear anything that topped the NFC Championship game versus the Bucs but here it was and were going to have to play through it to get to the Super Bowl.

When the game started and we deferred, I could tell our defense was continuing the assault that started against Dallas, but even with that, the Saints got down the field and got a quick 3, converting on a long 3rd down to prevent an early three and out.

On the very next possession, one of our leaders, TGIII, flubs a pass allowing it to be picked well inside the 20 yard line and the frenzied crowd, already flirting with 110 decibels pushes it to near 120.

I pick up the binoculars, what is going on the bench?

Defense up, chin straps on. No panic to be seen. TGIII gets on the bike and pedals. He just doesn't look right.

But from my view, team confidence was still intact.

I think of Saguaro's post about how the Rams physical play against the Cowboys may just have been the first act of a physical assault on the NFL Playoffs.
The way the defense was playing, it looked like he may be right.

A few plays later, its 6-0. Disaster averted again.

Dang, our Defense is going to be the key today.

The onslaught of the first quarter continues and we find ourselves down 13-0.

Our offense can’t get going and we find ourselves punting AGAIN from our own 30. Man, it could be 20-0 in a minute.

“WHO DAT, WHO DAT!!!!! 73000 fans in unison.

Before any seed of doubt creeps into my mind, I see Hekker THROWING THE BALL? WTH MAN!

Shields catches it short of the line to gain and as I feel my breath sucking out, he cuts and burst for the first down.

We just stole a possession.

This crowd knew what this meant, plays like that invite uncle “Mo” (Momentum) to switch sides --- but rather than getting antsy, they REDOUBLE their efforts and make even more noise!!!!!

The thing is, like a great prize fighter that took the opponents best shots without going down, the Rams started landing some of their own and were able to battle to get 3 points on the board.

Those magical three points were huge both at the beginning and at the end.

The Defense again stiffened and before you knew it, we were in position to bring it to a one possession game before half and getting the ball to start the 2nd.

After the rams and saints trade possessions, Suh shows for the 2nd straight week why he was once the most feared lineman in the game by getting to Brees on consecutive snaps and we find ourselves late In the first half, the Rams again get the ball.

Suh, Fowler and Brockers were doing their best AD99 intensity imitation and it was showing up in Saints running game getting shut down and possessions being thwarted.

With the crowd going nuts, under a minute to play in the half, Brandon Cooks, who also signed my sons hat before the game, brings in a beautiful pass from Goff to put the Rams in a position to score, the uncalled face mask didn’t seem to make a difference as Todd immediately got the ball in to make it a 10-13 game going to the half.

Down by 3 and getting the ball to start the half which determines the SB?

I LIKE IT!

Unfortunately, it’s the Saints who come out on fire again in Q 3 and take a 20-10 lead midway to the 3rd but the Rams defense is keeping them in the contest.

Goff, by then, had come alive and started throwing dimes around the field quickly getting us back in TD contention. After a near disaster inside the 5 on a mishandled snap, Goff finds Higs for the TD and he, exuding the confidence of many on this team, tells the 73,000 to “shhhhhhhh”.
20-17
During a break in the action and to keep focused on the positive, I tell my oldest son about the 1983 game. How the Saints were killing us in Time of Possession and the playoffs were on the line and how Mike Lansford kicked a 42 yard field goal to THOSE GOAL POSTS barefoot to send us to the playoffs and ended the Saints dream of their first winning season. 26-24.

I tell him about Flippers 15-336 night in 1989 and how the Great Dome Patrol who had been harassing Everett all night couldn’t prevent us from winning that game.

I impressed upon him how the rams have had some Iconic moments in this building and how this game will also be remembered among the greats.

When Alvin Kamara almost fumbles away a possession at the end of the 3rd, I could feel the Sports Gods starting to work their magic. Kamara is an absolute killer. The guy is one of the few players (Brady is another) that scares me for how badly they can hurt you. But the Rams were hitting him and smothering him and had effectively neutralized him after a big first half.

When the Rams regain possession around their own 10, still trailing by three, the Saints fans find – unbelievably – an even LOUDER GEAR.

I think of Ramsrule and his wife sitting a few sections over. We had tried to hook up by fate kept us apart. We were connected right then by the action on the field.

Over and over again, I could hear the voice of the Great John Facenda “The Voice of God” in the SB 14 highlight film, speaking of Terry Bradshaw: “GREAT PLAYERS AREN’T ALWAYS GREAT. THEY’RE JUST GREAT WHEN THEY HAVE TO BE!”.

Over and over in a loop.

On 3rd and 3, on our own 16 and in the shadow of the goal posts, Goff Rolls right and can’t find anyone, he doesn’t have a lane to run and then, suddenly, throws a dart to Gerald Everett who seemingly becomes energized every time he has the ball in his hands, plowing through and over people and carrying this team towards its ultimate goal.

“Were going to win this thing. We are going to the Super Bowl. We are going to win it RIGHT NOW!”

Before the crowd or the saints could recover, Montana, I mean Goff, hits Reynolds streaking down to the sideline and inside the 5!

“We are GOING TO WIN THIS THING RIGHT NOW!!!!!”

On 2nd and Goal, Goff rolls to his right and a clear lane opens, he is going to run it in! From my vantage point, I saw the Saints players converge fast but did not see the face mask. I’m sure Goff has now been programed to jump up and mimic the face mask signal in case it happens again. He is stopped short and no flags.

3rd and Goal, give to CJ, he looks like he is stopped and all of sudden Havs and someone else (turns out its Sully) is pulling / pushing him towards the line!

He’s going to get in!!!! We are going to WIN THIS THING RIGHT HERE!!!!

No!

Destiny has its own timetable.

With 4th and Goal, I have no question the Coach is going to sneak Jared into the endzone and give us our first lead of the game.

No!

Destiny has its own timetable.

The leg comes in and gives us the tie.

20-20.

5 minutes to play. I don’t like the idea of Drew Brees getting the ball this late with Lutz kicking as well as he was but rather than getting nervous, I push the fear away and wonder how our fate will unfold.

After failing to stop the Saints on 3 and 2 despite excellent coverage, Drew Brees launches a moon shot straight up in their air. From the Loge Section I immediately see Ginn is bracketed by Talib and Joyner. This ball is getting picked no question about it, we are going to get an Intercept . . …

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joyner completely MISPLAYS THE BALL AND GINN COMES DOWN WITH IT!

The Joyner play looked like someone playing Madden that accidentally hit the manual control of the safety while the ball was in the air and negatively affected the play.

Totally misplayed.

I look at the clock, hoping to see its above the 2 minute warning to couple with our two timeouts.

Negative.

1:58. Rams with 2 time outs. Saints around the 13 yard line.

Saints players are posing for the fans.

@#$%& think the game is over.

I see tears starting to well in my oldest son’s eyes.

He thinks the dream may be over.

Stealing a scene from Apocalypto, I tell my son, “strike the fear from your heart, it’s a sickness”, "look around" I tell him, "look where we are right now. We are the LUCKIEST PEOPLE IN THE WORLD!"

"Believe it little man!"

I tell him there will likely be about 45 seconds left when Payton runs three times and burns the Rams time outs and bleeds off max clock even factoring in 4 seconds on the FG.

With a touchback or a decent return, we are at the 25 with 40 seconds to play and no timeouts needing 30 yards to give Greg a shot.

There is time I tell him and we are in this thing.

Then, as if on cue, the Sports Gods decide:

“Its time”.

Brees UNBELIEVABLY drops back to pass like in my wildest dream and throws it in the dirt! Clock stops!

These fools just gave the Rams a time out.

COACH PAYTON! WHAT AN IDIOT!

Now I tell my family, the new calculations are Rams get the ball back with over a 100 seconds and down by 3 assuming the Saints will run 2x now.

We are going to WIN THIS THING!

After Barron, who played a solid game, stops Kamara again we are at 3rd Down above 1:50 and still have a time out. Third Down.

This is it.

Brees drops backs and lofts one to his right, NRC comes in early and blows the guy up.

A quick look for flags……………………………………………………………. nothing.

73000 fans:

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Looked like PI to me.

But not to the Sports Gods.

Destiny cannot be denied.

I picture the image that Florida Ram posted numerous times on this board. A picture with a question something to the effect: Who is going to win the Super Bowl this year? With a cartoon finger pointing at the Rams.”

After the Saints take the lead, I again hear Facenda’s voice: “GREAT PLAYERS AREN’T ALWAYS GREAT. THEY’RE JUST GREAT WHEN THE HAVE TO BE”.

With a buck 37 on the clock, Goff standing tall in the pocket, he rips the ball to Reynolds who spins and twists and fights while protecting the ball to get past the 40.

A quick pass to Cooks gets us across the 50 but still 3 yards short of the 1st down.

On 3rd Down, Goff sees Woods about the same time I do splitting the coverage around the 40 and now turning up towards the endzone.

This is it. Hit that and we are GOING TO THE SUPER BOWL, RIGHT HERE RIGHT NOW!!!!!!

The pass is high but gets us to the 38. Lattimore was off his feet leaving a green carpet ride to the Super Bowl for Woods with a pinpoint pass but Goff had to get above some outstretched hands.

Destiny decides the time and the play.

I hear Talib in my head. You want to become famous? Do something in the playoffs.

Another pass by Goff to Gurley and we are at the 31.

Following an incompletion, the Leg comes on to kick a high pressure 48 Yard FG to force OT.

Its not clear visually that its on target, but the silence of the crowd tells me he was straight money.

23-23.

OT.

I look at the two sidelines through the binoculars.

On the Saints sidelines, I see a Head Coach who has still not let the uncalled PI go. He is literally violating EVERY PRINCIPLE OF LEADERSHIP. He is telling his team that that play COST THEM THE GAME. His body language, demeanor, everything is ALL WRONG.

Leaders don’t do that.

Leaders play the hand that is dealt them and maintain poise.

“Be at your best, WHEN YOUR BEST IS REQUIRED”.

I was there, it was PI but stuff like this is legendary in the playoffs, from Bert Emanual’s non catch, to the Music City Miracle, to Ron Jesse and Tom Mack, to The Tuck Rule.

As in life, @#$%& happens and the great ones, they keep moving forward. Control what you can control. Don’t dwell in the past.

Sean Payton was coaching from 10 minutes earlier.

Sean McVay had his eyes up.

The Rams team just needed one chance with the ball and we were going to finish this thing.

Only 4 captains meet at midfield.

Goff calls Heads.

Tails.

Saints want the ball. Crowd goes crazy.

Coach Payton still looks constipated.

After a PI call, the Saints get a first down and start their drive.

Is this a make up call? I wasn’t worried though, Vinovich versus Destiny?

Destiny wins every time.

After Suh blows up a run by Ingram, the Refs, with their whistles still buried deep in their stomachs, let the play continue and Donald blows Ingram back for a big loss.

Its 2nd and 16. Saints are going to pass.

Brees drops back and initially gets protection.

Dante Flower, who had been blocked up for a moment, spins off and finds himself directly in front of Brees and makes the hit which causes the ball to flutter.

The ball is right in front of me.

I mean it is literally hanging directly in front of me.

I see JJ III falling backwards with his hands out.

Is it possible that this ball is going to flutter right

Into

His

ARMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guy behind me starts talking about the PI in regulation.

I tell him Ram fans around the world petitioned to get rid of this crew but no one wanted to listen.

“Google it, its true!”

Rams Ball.

45 yard line.

Johnson and Peters get up and TROLL THE WHOLE CROWD.

CHOPPA STYLE!!!!!!!

Holy @#$%&!!!! This is it.

We need 1 first down and Greg, who gave my son a heartfelt wave during warm ups after booming 60 yarders, would come and finish this thing.

Somewhere Mike Lansford was smiling.

After the pick, the entire Rams Bench, including Goff are up holding their arms triumphantly over their heads.

They know.

I know.

Who dat?

We dat!

10 yards. Ten stinking yards!

GREAT PLAYERS AREN’T ALWAYS GREAT. THEY’RE JUST GREAT WHEN THE HAVE TO BE”.

Goff rolls left and the Saints are coming. Somehow, he sets and throws a quick dart to Higbee who is breaking out towards the sidelines.

Higs brings it in and gets to the 42 yards line.

42 + 17 = 59.

We are going to win this thing!!!

The Rams give to CJ who ALMOST FUMBLES AWAY THE POSSESSION and loses precious yards.

Destiny decides the time.

It wasn’t time yet.

Goff rolls right.

It looks like Cam Jordan may have him in the grasp, GET RID OF IT, THROW IT AWAY.

“GREAT PLAYERS AREN’T ALWAYS GREAT. THEY’RE JUST GREAT WHEN THE HAVE TO BE”.

Goff manages to get the ball off and there is HIGBEE AGAIN and fights down to the 40.

40+17 = 57.

57 Yard Field Goal right now.

I felt chills come over my body.

This is our Destiny.

It is being revealed to us.

Greg is going to kick us into the Super Bowl.

While excited, I felt at peace.

3rd and 7.

Just don’t lose any yards . . . .

A quick pass to Cooks is dropped.

And then it happened.

Time slowed.

I looked at my family teary eyed.

I told all of them:

“I can truly say, right now, that there is NO PLACE ON THE PLANET EARTH THAT I WOULD WANT TO BE THEN IN THIS BUILDING, AT THIS MOMENT, WITH MY FAMILY, TO WATCH THIS KICK”

The Crowd noise was blowing off the roof and vibrating my section.

I see Zuerline standing right on the Saint’s Fleur De Lis on the 50 yard line.

I pulled out the phone and calmly hit the camera button and then shifted it to “VIDEO”.

I am going to get this moment.

I have to capture this moment.

Knowing that I don’t want to watch the kick through the phone, I set up the camera, zoom in and hold the phone.

Then this:

Years of hurt, frustration and pain evaporating in one MONSTER KICK.

The Rams are going to the SUPER BOWL.

Is this a dream?

The Rams are going to the SUPER BOWL!!!!

As we move out the section to fight our way down towards the field, I’m watching Rams players running, jumping and hugging everyone on the field.

Is this real?

Is this a dream?

Saints fans yelling about Pass Interference as we work our way down.

“The Refs won that game for you!!!!”

“True I say, could you believe that Ref that hit Drew Brees right as he was throwing in overtime!”

“And how about that Ref that picked off Drew Brees! That was incredible, I wonder if the Ref trained for that!”

“But you have to admit, the way that Referee kicked that 57 yard field goal that would have been good from 71 yards was something to behold!”

All the @#$%& and whining and moaning was so detailed and so intense, that it reinforced that this was no dream.

This was real.

On the way down, different Ram fans, a very small contingent, moving in twos and threes, giving high fives and big smiles.

But I knew there was someone there that was feeling it even more, I knew somewhere, my football soulmate would appear.

As I reached the first level. I saw him.

A dude I had never seen before in my life. He was holding the Rams Yellow Towel to his face that was given away the week before in the Dallas game. His wife or girlfriend had her hand on his shoulder.

She knew what it meant to him.

He looks at me.

Perhaps it was the same glow of light coming off of both of us, but there it was: “SUPER BOWL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

Big embrace. He had traveled the same road we (and many here) had to get to this point.

My wife says “What Now?”

I told her that about 17 years ago, I was walking out of this building as confetti fell. How I immediately grabbed a cab to go to the airport. How that night, I had slept in a cold sweat, shivering thinking of how the 01 Rams lost the Super Bowl.

How I needed to erase that memory.

“Were going to Bourbon Street, that’s what now”.

Of course, on the way there, we find a candy shop and let the kids go nuts. When they realized we really weren’t stopping them from buying literally anything, the total came to a ridiculous number.

As people in line were looking at us - clearly the white trash family with the pile of candy on the Counter, I said “It’s a special occasion”.

In an understandably somber Bourbon Street, we had no trouble finding a table in a nice restaurant with a great views of Big Screens to see what was next.

In my head, I had believed that the NFL had always wanted a rematch of the MNF Classic of the Rams and the Chiefs.

I mean, the mileage they would get replaying that game over and over again until the SB seemed like it would be a monster draw.

But that’s not how magic seasons go.

Magic Seasons have Magic Endings.

So as the Chiefs get the INT to end the game, I think to myself, well that KC game was pretty special maybe . . . . .

Then I see the flag.

“Offsides Chiefs”.

Seriously.

Did the Chief’s just line up offsides to lose a trip to the Super Bowl?

Destiny decides.

I look at my wife – holy @#$%&!!!!

What she says?

“Jack’s going to kill the Giant”.

“What?”

“JACK’S GOING TO KILL THE GIANT!!!”

“Your drunk” she says, looking at many empty glasses at the table”

“Seriously, What are you talking about?!”

“I CAN SEE IT NOW!!! ITS CLEAR. YOU KNOW, THE KID WITH THE MAGIC BEANS?”

“THE ONE THAT BELIEVES HE HAS MAGIC AND HE IS DOUBTED?”

“THAT’S SEAN MCVAY!!!!!”

“SEAN IS GOING TO KILL THE GIANT!!!!”

“HE’S FROM ATLANTA. HE’S GOING HOME.”

She catches my vibe and her face gets serious.

With her locked in, I lower my voice.

“Were going to Atlanta Baby. Sean’s going to cut down the @#$%& beanstalk”.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2019 09:37PM by stlramz.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

A Fans View: The Road to the Super Bowl Attachments

stlramz1446January 24, 2019 09:32PM

Re: A Fans View: The Road to the Super Bowl

Rams43426January 24, 2019 10:06PM

MamaRAMa430January 24, 2019 10:29PM

pfoe33291January 24, 2019 10:34PM

Killrazor291January 25, 2019 12:34AM

As I finished reading this I have tears in my eyes. Literally.

dodgerram321January 25, 2019 01:12AM

Destiny vs Dynasty!!!

Rampage2K-309January 25, 2019 01:56AM

Re: Destiny vs Dynasty!!!

sean617January 25, 2019 03:06AM

Re: Destiny vs Dynasty!!!

sean327January 25, 2019 06:52AM

Been checking the board multiple times a day for THIS!! Not disappointed!!!!

Saguaro265January 25, 2019 03:04AM

Wow! Post of the decade!

NewMexicoRam303January 25, 2019 03:05AM

Unbelievable

RamsFanSince69288January 25, 2019 03:53AM

damn George

21Dog277January 25, 2019 04:13AM

deepsouthram362January 25, 2019 04:53AM

To paraphrase Ford

RamUK354January 25, 2019 04:55AM

A Team of Destiny...

LoboRam286January 25, 2019 06:38AM

Great job!

RAMpant Defense281January 25, 2019 06:39AM

Re: Glorious just glorious

embraceable_ewe83253January 25, 2019 06:48AM

You have a way...

ramsfaninmd318January 25, 2019 06:57AM

I always have tears streaming after these

LBRamsFan393January 25, 2019 07:38AM

That was.......special

ferragamo79400January 25, 2019 08:14AM

Nice job! Nm

Speed_Kills233January 25, 2019 08:37AM

Thank You George!

den-the-coach314January 25, 2019 09:25AM

Perfect! Thanks so much for this...

RAMbler328January 25, 2019 09:55AM

That last...

fearsomefoursome281January 25, 2019 10:10AM

Been looking forward to this read - BEST POST IN HERD HISTORY!!!

Valley-Ram578January 25, 2019 10:15AM

I love reading these. Thank you. So wild about GF's grave. (nm)

EternalHorns289January 25, 2019 10:59AM

LAME post! Lacked detail, passion etc etc etc

Ramgator273January 25, 2019 11:26AM

Wow...Just wow! Nice write up stlramz.

Ram Fan Teacher275January 25, 2019 02:37PM

Ekern55264January 25, 2019 02:43PM

A RAMS Fans View: The Road to Super Bowl LIII. "Majestic"

Anonymous User364January 25, 2019 03:19PM

sacram272January 25, 2019 03:58PM

Re: Exhaustive, Emotional, "All Out," "All In," GOAT post