Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Personally? I don't think McCarthy is necessarily a "lost it" guy

December 07, 2018 02:19PM
Rams43
zn
I think one main thing with McCarthy is that the new GM was not behind him. GB fired Ted Thompson who is the guy who hired McCarthy. Team president Murphy took over hiring and firing of head coaches. McCarthy was a Thompson hire. The new GM was his hire. With Thompson gone the people in the front office were not the ones who hired McCarthy--he wasn't "their guy." Having "your guy" is often very crucial.

Gutekunst agreed to succeed Ted Thompson as Packers general manager in January knowing the change in power structure, which Murphy implemented as a way to increase organizational communication. The final call on head-coaching decisions is now Murphy’s, and it’s expected he’ll spearhead the search for McCarthy’s replacement.

Meanwhile in one article, the reporter actually phoned around to NFL execs to ask which guys should be on a "new head coaches in 2019" list and McCarthy was consistently at the top. When Reid was fired some wrote him off too, and now instead after a few years with the Chiefs, he's one of the models for how you hire a head coach---an experienced offensive guy who has had success and just needs a new place to hang his hat.

It remains to be seen if the NFL has changed to the point where McCarthy is seen as having "lost it." Certain guys like Reid, Carroll, Belichick, etc. have not "lost it" so I don't think it's really the case that the NFL marched on leaving coaches behind. I think that't just one possible spin on the situation.

Who knows? McCarthy’s record for last 2 seasons has been mediocre, at best. Jeff Fisher territory, IOW.

[www.pro-football-reference.com]

Even the preceding 2 seasons at 10-6 were not really stellar. Especially considering that the Packers don’t play in a division considered among the best.

But it’s academic to me, anyway. Rams are certainly not contemplating a McCarthy hire anytime soon.

The other teams considering McCarthy? I say buyer beware.

Well it's not comparable to Fisher because GB didn't move. It is true that like Fisher in 2015 GB lost their starting qb for 9 games. So if by "like Fisher" you mean "it's hard to win if y ou dont have a starting caliber qb," I agree. I also think that people can, will, and do forget about things like that and just look at the record alone as if that actually told you everything without having to look closer.

BUT what about 2018? Remember that was Ted Thompson's team. McCarthy didn't make the picks. They fired Ted Thompson.

McCarthy's story is not written yet. What if he's a Reid, goes to a good place where he's THEIR guy (which he wasn't in GB once they fired Thompson), and wins? That will be quite a different narrative won't it?

To be honest, NO ONE k nows the reality of what will happen with McCarthy. We do have solid info that around the league he's considered a leading head coaching candidate. That's according to a reporter who asked league execs. So for all we know he DOES turn out to be a Reid--who had bad things said about him too when the Eagles fired him. Not anymore though. Anyway stay tuned.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2018 02:22PM by zn.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

RE: GB and McCarthy. In time do players just stop listening?

RockRam432December 07, 2018 04:29AM

Re: RE: GB and McCarthy. In time do players just stop listening?

mtramfan272December 07, 2018 04:39AM

Re: RE: GB and McCarthy. In time do players just stop listening?

Rams43222December 07, 2018 04:52AM

Personally? I don't think McCarthy is necessarily a "lost it" guy

zn229December 07, 2018 11:51AM

Rams43226December 07, 2018 01:51PM

zn218December 07, 2018 02:19PM

I think the issue(s) might revolve around Rodgers

RockRam152December 08, 2018 03:51AM

Re: Or the game is changing...

dzrams171December 07, 2018 10:23AM