Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

All due respect..

November 25, 2018 08:26AM
and please take it that way...here is what I think...

Rams43
jemach
If you watch our games, you'll see that we do not attack the middle of the field a lot. Woods and Cooks get looks in this area...just not a lot. I counted 3 maybe 4 plays against KC that we attacked he middle. Personally, I think guys like Belichick realize this and adjust coverages accordingly. But, imagine if could control the middle of the field. You think our offense is good now?

Higbee is what he is. He's a guy who catch a 5 yard pass (usually an out pattern or screen) and once in a while like Monday, he'll run for a few yards.

Everett is not a true TE...he is a large WR. He has no physical presence in the middle...I don't know if it toughness...strength...whatever. His catches come mostly between the numbers and the sideline. He's a big slot receiver. He will run a short in pattern down by the goal line on play action. He will never be a TE in the mold of a Kelce or Kittle. That's just not his game.

We score like a pinball game with no middle presence. And...you know the NFL...DCs figures things out. That's why guys like McVay say we need to get better...challenge ourselves.

It's not happening this year. But if I'm the Rams, and you want to do the best you can di for Goff other than protecting him...give him that big body in the middle who can handle both short passes, get down the seam or sit in the middle of a zone coverage for 15 yards.

It would make every receiver on this team better. It would significantly expand the pattern tree and give McVay even more creativity.

All due respect, je, but I think you spend too much energy dwelling on what we DON’T do on O, and kinda dismiss what we DO do.
For what it's worth, I think some people don't have the energy to do any research or analysis. So...should we just write about what we have? At what time have we written everything about what we have. Well...for me, I find that kind of boring. And that's ok...I don't mind what others write. They contribute. I just like the posts by board members who truly analyze and support their positions. I'll leave writing about the same thing to others. Great teams, long term, always find ways to strengthen their team. Look at the teams with long term success...they draft in areas where they are already strong. Baltimore, Pittsburgh, New England...and the beat goes on. I always remember Baltimore. They had one of the best defenses in the NFL. But, what did they draft in round 1, defense. Ed Reed was their #1 pick in 2002. They were the #2 defense in football in 2001. Strengthen your strength.

Our current O is simply lethal by any definition. We’re averaging 35.4 ppg. That is not a misprint.
New Orleans, Kansas City, Pittsburgh, are as every bit as lethal...but let's remain content and let's see where that gets us in two years. When you do the homework you would take about 3 points off that for non offensive scores. Just being accurate here. If your goal is the Super Bowl, then you look at all areas. All three of those teams can do things we can't...like work the middle of the field. And frankly, we have been lucky on injuries.

And Goff does complete passes over the middle. Lots of them.
You are making a statement that is factually wrong. He doesn't throw that many. You are saying we make lots of throws in the middle? How many seam routes have you seen? How many routes do we have a receiver sitting down in the zone about 15 yards downfield? You see crossing patterns that are completed near, at or outside the numbers. And as a preemptive post here...please don't give me just one time you saw a seam. The Rams work primarily from the numbers to the sideline. I understand that area will always be greater but there is something called proportionality.

I can’t get worked up over HOW McVay chooses to get his 35 ppg, as long as he keeps getting them.
Because I think that is thinking short term. You are talking about today...I'm talking about what to do for next year. And, I appreciate you don't get worked up. If Snead wasn't thinking next year and how can we help the offense get better, we would likely regress. My post is about the future. We have plenty of posts on the here and now.

We are blessed with a QB, 3 WR’s and a RB all playing at Pro Bowl levels. And now we’re seeing Higbee and Everett stepping up in their 3rd and 2nd years, respectively. Reynolds has made strides. We run well, pass well, we score very well. So, I fail to see a problem. If it ain’t broke?
Once again, short term thinking. None of what you say addresses an area where we don't attack due to personnel. We don't have a TE on this team other than Higbee. It is my opinion, and others are more than welcome to disagree, that Everett is a big slot receiver. He is not physical enough to be a tight end. And I said in my post that it's next year we address it...not this year. When Kupp returns, guys like Everett will see less...because Kupp is a more effective slot receiver.

Geez, our O is the least of our problems, man.
Then why do we post on future draft picks now if all you want to do is talk about today? The best posts on this board analyze and challenge. The nice posts are the cheerleaders. And once again, those posts are ok...just not as thought provoking. BTW...our defense had to score 2 TDs to keep up with the Chiefs. And, we couldn't keep up with the Saints. The defensive quandry we find ourselves is what it is for the year. They only hope is Talib comes in and really makes a difference. With that given, the offense needs to improve in the red zone and be even more unstoppable. The argument that we get in the red zone more often is ok when we play Arizona, San Francisco and Oakland. It's not ok when we play KC, New Orleans or a team like Pittsburgh. And, who has been concerned about the red zone since...say...last January? We rank 16th...not good. Oh...they mentioned the vary issue on the broadcast last Monday night. Charlie Casserly expressed concern...but hey...they don't know anything! All the other Super Bowl contenders are in the top 10 of red zone percentage...3 in the top 6 over 70% while we sit at 57%. You don't think a physical TE that can out-muscle DBs wouldn't help that percentage? You don't think a physical pass catching TE would make our offense even better next year?

If you want to fret about something, I suggest focusing on our D. Any facet of our D would be a good place to start. Lol.
What do you mean fretting? I find this point of yours the most jaw dropping of all. I've focused on D...endlessly. Let me refresh your memory 43. I was writing about the problems our defense was going to have before preseason. And, I was summarily ripped by some of you. I wrote about my concerns on defense after the first 4-5 games (before almost this entire board) and was told I was just finding reason to complain because our defense was one of top scoring defenses (points against) in the NFL. When I countered that was because we played Oakland, Arizona and San Francisco I was told that my reasoning wasn't valid ...that all teams plays teams like that. I could name names...but it doesn't matter. While I said, and you can go find the quote...that we were going to be exposed in the middle of the field I was told it wouldn't matter...and I believe you were one of the people. You wrote your annual cut and paste summary of how great this team would be...including the defense. I had concerns...about our pass rush...our secondary...but who needs LBs...they're not important in a Philips defense! I wrote about how we were going to be weak on the edge. I warned about creating nicknames for a secondary who accomplished absolutely squat. I was told Littleton and Ebukam would take the next step. Of course, everyone will point to the KC game now but the reality is the person making it all happen is Donald. Our LBs have been AWOL. Remember Alec Ogletree? Ol' Alec Ogletree that so many hated. Ol' Alec would make big plays, especially turnovers but people here hated him because he could take on blockers and stop the run...well...what's the difference? I (and a few others here) wrote and defended how Aaron Donald was not replaceable while people wanted to make him come in on his existing salary...franchise him two years...then dump him. People complained that paying $22-24 mlllion for Donald was too much. Well...now? Crickets! Well...endless accolades actually. So...I've written about the defense critically waaaay before the season and very early into the season...by analyzing and critiquing...something us fretters do. Honestly, you stepped in it on that one 43.

I make statements on the games but how long can you write about that? I like to write about what will be could be. Others write about yesterday and today. That's cool. All good.

I'll continue to write about the games and then the future on how I think we can improve...including McVay's play calling at the top of the red zone. I actually read about what people write about the 2019 draft and players they watch. Then, I look for them on Saturday's to see. It has nothing to do with this year.

When I don't like a subject, I don't respond. Otherwise I try to do some research to counter what is said if I disagree...I really don't find the argument that "we are fine already and score 35.4 points a game" as having much depth.

I'm not always right...who is? But I take positions and defend them. If I'm wrong...well..I'm wrong. Everyone is wrong at some point. But, I'm right more than I'm wrong and I question instead of going with the flow. Honestly, I just try to be ahead of the game...and I think I've done a pretty good job of it.

And I'll predict...if we don't do a better job in the red zone...we will not win the Super Bowl...if we actually get there. Mark it down...I said it 11.23.18.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2018 08:41AM by jemach.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Blinkscout Game 11 ... Best Monday night game ever ...

alyoshamucci823November 22, 2018 09:45AM

Re: Blinkscout Game 11 ... Best Monday night game ever ...

Rams43316November 22, 2018 09:59AM

I don't think any 1 person can cover him ...

alyoshamucci344November 22, 2018 10:18AM

Re: They did in the 2nd half...

dzrams231November 22, 2018 10:54AM

found another college MLB for you.....

21Dog293November 22, 2018 10:35AM

Re: found another college MLB for you.....

alyoshamucci382November 22, 2018 10:50AM

Re: My surprise

leafnose242November 23, 2018 07:03AM

Glyndwr71232November 23, 2018 10:31AM

Steve198November 24, 2018 04:57AM

While you're scouting...can you find me a big TE who can...

jemach238November 24, 2018 06:52AM

Re: While you're scouting...can you find me a big TE who can...

Rams43267November 24, 2018 07:11AM

I think I finally get a role for what we have...

jemach170November 24, 2018 09:09AM

Re: I think I finally get a role for what we have...

Rams43192November 24, 2018 10:21AM

All due respect..

jemach181November 25, 2018 08:26AM

Re: All due respect..

Rams43174November 25, 2018 11:31AM

List the draft needs in order

max186November 26, 2018 02:13AM

draft needs in order

wv ram232November 26, 2018 03:27AM

Re: draft needs in order

max165November 26, 2018 03:39AM

4 names off the top of my head

Deadpool263November 24, 2018 10:43AM

Re: 4 names off the top of my head

jemach185November 25, 2018 08:29AM

its way early for rounds

Deadpool183November 25, 2018 05:28PM

Re: While you're scouting...can you find me a big TE who can...

alyoshamucci221November 25, 2018 10:18AM

Thanks for list to both of you...

jemach204November 26, 2018 03:55AM