Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Get ready for the Fisher apologists

October 29, 2018 05:44AM
As a charter member of the Fisher Hater Club United (tongue in cheek, of course), I imagine we'll hear from a few Rams fans who want to explain why if he drafted such great players, his record was so pitiful for so long. And it usually begins with the words "injuries" and ends with the words "no QB". My take is: why were Fisher's teams always injured? And why couldn't he seem to get anything out of his QBs?

So let me short circuit this and explain: Fisher has not a clue about, or use for, offense. It's the same reason that this will be Harbaugh's last year in BMore. He, as Fisher, still believes that offenses are merely a necessary evil that you survive as a coach. So basically the idea is that you have a great D, and then just ask the O not to lose it for you by turning it over. Add a great punter and kicker and you're set. And actually, in the Chuck Knox era, that's probably true. But this is 2018 and the rules have changed to give offenses a decided advantage. The NFL wants points. They want teams marching up and down the field. They want 300 yard passers as the norm. They want the GB Rams game.

McVay embraces those changes. Fisher and Harbaugh (and Shurmur and a couple of others I could name if I thought about it a little more) seem out to prove that the 60s and 70s style of football still applies.

And while it is undeniable that Fisher drafted a handful of really good players, what good is it if you don't know what to do with them? Why own Secretariat if you're going to hitch him to a plow?

We have the type of HC/OC that is the tip of the spear. And when you watch Andy Reid's Chiefs, you can see that you CAN teach old dogs new tricks, and older coaches CAN adapt to the new realities of the NFL and offer a hugely exciting, and winning, product.

Fisher needs to stay on his Montana ranch and herd fish while the McVays play by the new rules and win games.
There. i feel better now.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Well a different perspective....Points stat

Rams_78463October 28, 2018 04:30PM

+1 buddy

ferragamo79270October 28, 2018 05:43PM

Re: +1 buddy

sfbayram107October 29, 2018 05:16AM

Get ready for the Fisher apologists

RockRam117October 29, 2018 05:44AM

And you've got to wonder...Schottenheimer...

jemach110October 29, 2018 05:52AM

He has Russell Wilson. Nothing else is needed.

RockRam194October 29, 2018 06:04AM

Re: He has Russell Wilson. Nothing else is needed.

zn103October 29, 2018 12:11PM

points differential

LMU9377October 29, 2018 12:06PM

Re: points differential

moklerman92October 29, 2018 12:15PM