Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Not blitzing ... so powerful

September 22, 2018 08:33AM
One of Wade's greatest attributes is his ability to recognize and get value from his personnel. He understands how good his DL is, and lets it do its work on its own.

Now, I have always felt strongly that getting a pass rush from the DL by itself immensely strengthens a defense. Deploying a full complement of LBs and DBs provides the best chance of containing opposing WRs. This increases the difficulty of the QB seeing an open receiver and getting the ball off. And of course leads to sacks or to balls thrown away.

OK, not exactly football rocket science, eh? However, I am amazed that DCs often fail to recognize the value of letting the DL get home on its own and indulge themselves in exotic but unnecessary blitzes that weaken the secondary.

This is one of the main reasons I detested Williams when he was with us. We had a superb pass rush for a couple of years, but he just had to show how clever he was in running blitzes that weakened the defense and actually made it harder for the DL to get to the QB.

The sign of a great coach is not so much in showing how creative he can be. It is simply a matter of getting the job done. Often, that means execution of straightforward schemes, especially when one has a really talented squad. Prepare the team, deploy them soundly, and let them do their work drawing on their talents. The coach's ego is not the issue--the team's performance is.

And if you can get your DL to the QB on its own, flood the passing zones with defenders and you have a winning hand.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

NFL.com: Rams' defense overwhelms opponents with measured approach.

RamsFanSince69495September 22, 2018 06:57AM

Rams' D winning by coverage not blitzing

RamsFanSince69205September 22, 2018 06:59AM

Not blitzing ... so powerful

RFL163September 22, 2018 08:33AM

I think there is a lot of room for improvement

David Deacon193September 22, 2018 07:46AM

Re: I think there is a lot of room for improvement

Classicalwit90September 22, 2018 11:19PM

rams_nation114September 23, 2018 02:33AM