Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

NFL.com: Rams' defense overwhelms opponents with measured approach.

September 22, 2018 06:57AM
Rams' defense overwhelms opponents with measured approach.
I'm not surprised the Rams are defensively suffocating opponents on the perimeter -- with Aqib Talib and Marcus Peters joining a unit that also features Aaron Donald, Ndamukong Suh and Michael Brockers along the front -- but I'm pretty shocked by how they're going about it. Wade Phillips opting for a coverage-based approach with so many Pro Bowlers at his disposal? Not what I expected.

Studying the Next Gen Stats from this week's NFL Media research packet, I noticed the Rams are blitzing five or more defenders on just 18.8 percent of their opponents' dropbacks. That's tied for the ninth-lowest percentage in the NFL, down significantly from the 40 percent clip posted by the unit a season ago.

The presence of a pair of playmaking cover corners with versatile skills -- like Talib and Peters -- gives a creative defensive coordinator the flexibility to blitz whenever the urge strikes. That said, the threat of a dominant defensive line imposing its will on three- and four-man pressures allows the D to employ a variety of man or zone coverages that take away eligible receivers on the perimeter.

"Playing coverage is the best way to slow down quarterbacks if you have the guys who can hold up in the back end," a former NFL defensive coordinator told me. "You can double-team a talented receiver or use a safety as a robber to take away the quarterback's favorite routes. Additionally, you can drop seven or eight defenders into a zone and allow them to play with vision on the quarterback for quicker breaks on throws.

"Although blitzing can be an effective tool, you are always better off when you can rush three or four and keep everybody back in coverage. It's the easiest way to eliminate big plays."

To that point, the Rams have been terrific playing coverage in 2018. Despite allowing a 66.1 percent completion rate (opposing QBs are 37 of 56 for 286 yards) when rushing four or fewer rushers, the unit has a 0:4 TD-to-INT ratio and an NFL-best 48.7 passer rating in these circumstances. On the flip side, when the Rams rush five-plus defenders, they're giving up an 81.8 percent completion rate (9 of 11 for 107 yards) and a 94.1 passer rating. Although they haven't yielded a touchdown pass using either approach, it is apparent that the risk of sending extra rushers hasn't been worth the reward for the Rams.

Comparing the data to my observations from film study, I now see the wisdom in Phillips' conservative approach with the Rams. He has a game-wrecking front line capable of disrupting the rhythm of the quarterback with interior pressure, and the penetration is enough to force errant passes from the pocket. In addition, Talib and Peters are two of the best route readers and ballhawks in football, and the Rams' conservative pressure tactics allow both CBs to sit off at 8 or 9 yards off and cherry pick errant throws. With Donald and Suh forcing quarterbacks to throw with blockers in their laps, the Rams' ultra-aggressive corners have been able to swipe or swat passes at every turn.

If the Rams can continue to get away with these low-risk tactics, it is going to be hard for opponents to move the ball, particularly when Los Angeles' high-powered offense forces teams to play from behind.

Follow Bucky Brooks on Twitter @BuckyBrooks.

[www.nfl.com]

RFS69
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

NFL.com: Rams' defense overwhelms opponents with measured approach.

RamsFanSince69495September 22, 2018 06:57AM

Rams' D winning by coverage not blitzing

RamsFanSince69206September 22, 2018 06:59AM

Not blitzing ... so powerful

RFL164September 22, 2018 08:33AM

I think there is a lot of room for improvement

David Deacon194September 22, 2018 07:46AM

Re: I think there is a lot of room for improvement

Classicalwit92September 22, 2018 11:19PM

rams_nation114September 23, 2018 02:33AM