Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RZ issues

August 15, 2018 04:31AM
Well last year the Rams were 2nd in redzone attempts per game. [www.teamrankings.com]

In terms of Team Red Zone Scoring Percentage (TD only) they were 17th. [www.teamrankings.com]

On that last stat they were at 53.42%. The top 5 teams range from 61.29% to 68.97%

And that's with Gurley

They were also 2nd in field goal attempts per game. [www.teamrankings.com]

And first in field goal scores per game. [www.teamrankings.com]

As I say in a different post, that's not necessarily on Goff. Goff improved during the season and got to be pretty good at percentage of TDs on attempts inside the 10. [stats.washingtonpost.com]\

At the end of the season he ranked 5th; as of early November he ranked 29th.

So they picked up there and therefore whatever it is, it's something else. Though it could be partly that the earlier numbers were so poor they tilt the season avg. downwards.

And I don't think that RZ issues get down to personnel. To me RZ issues are a combination of play design, play calling, and execution. Remember the GSOT did not have a "redzone receiver" who would meet anyone's physical description of a player like that. (Not that it hurts to have a player who meets that description.)

I sometimes wonder if JZ being so trustworthy and prolific has a direct effect on playcalling. That is, they trust the field goal and so play it safer. That could be part of it.

I've seen it suggested that McV's playcalling tends to favor spreading the field, which works better up to the RZ and not as well inside the 20 where space is tighter.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2018 05:29AM by zn.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

About the Rams' red zone issues

AlbaNY_Ram394August 14, 2018 01:04PM

he improved

zn228August 14, 2018 01:15PM

Zuerlein stats

jemach186August 14, 2018 05:06PM

Re: telling, but not about Red Zone efficiency

hammer197August 14, 2018 08:14PM

Zuerlein led the league in scoring...

jemach145August 15, 2018 03:41AM

RZ issues