Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Patriots get one over the Rams Again

April 04, 2018 01:54AM
now let me first qualify that with I actually like the Trade for Cooks, except I think we paid too much.

Reasons:
1: Cooks is in 5th and final year, so cheaper than FA money but still step up from normal 1st rounder money.

2: Final year! - he'll be a FA next year and up goes his per year costs dramatically, which could also lead us to not signing him ala Watkins.

3: A 1st for a one year rental is a bit brutal and really putting Rams at a disadvantage Cap wise. I know we should get back probably a 3rd round comp pick if he leaves on a big ticket, but I have two problems with this. One year rental for swapping a 1st to a near 4th rounder!!! But this also assumes we don't sign any to off set which could limit/hamper potential FA targets if we're so locked in to getting these comp picks.

4: I keep seeing it thrown around that we can tag him - that's assuming Donald has signed, then probably Joyner signed etc etc.... Only allowed 1 tag.

5: How come we give up a 1st rounder (I'm going to ignore the 6th to 4th swap as while its useful, its also low down on the points per pick thing if your into that) for a WR on the last year of contract when SF only gives up a 2nd for a very well liked QB prospect. JG had already shown he could play well with-in NE system and yet teams spend draft fortunes to move up in round 1 of the draft to pick a highly coveted but unknown.

So my guess is that we might of been able to get Cooks for a 2nd, but didn't have one - lost to Watkins' - ( whom I'd love to have keep but understand the tagging of Joyner and spiraling cost of Watkins' offer from KC).

Other posts I've seen recently talk about this 'All In' approach, but I actually think this is just the new reality. NE has for years been quite free with trading away draft capital to get players they think will help them that year and further. It's a gamble like all player acquisitions, personal make up, Scheme fit, injury and so on. But Cooks is now a RAM and that's all that I really care about and now I'm excited to see him as part of this offence!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2018 02:34AM by OzRam.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Patriots get one over the Rams Again

OzRam481April 04, 2018 01:54AM

Re: Patriots get one over the Rams Again

Steve217April 04, 2018 02:05AM

Here the thing....

max232April 04, 2018 03:03AM

Re: Here the thing....

LMU93169April 04, 2018 03:54AM

Maybe they both win

no name163April 04, 2018 04:30AM