Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Suh's not going to be a problem for McVay or Phillips

March 23, 2018 03:36AM
Suh is probably not the guy you're going to want to go on vacation with.
And, if you're looking for warm, fuzzy, and a big hug.....not the best choice.

He's all business about his business. He's there to work and make money. But Football is only part of his life....not the entirety of it.

But is he a locker room distraction? Surly and uncooperative? Not according to this article. Might he be moody? Very likely.

Look. NFL coaches and FO have personalities. They run things a certain way and want people who fit with that and get rid of guys who don't. Bellicheck and the Pats are perhaps the poster children for this. Some seem to have the kind of military, I give you an order you do it, mentality where the players are warriors and the HC is Patton. Discipline and personal behaviors (even choices) must fall within a very defined set of guidelines or you're gone.

For other NFL coaches (like McVay) its all about relationships. They have other attributes and traits and requirements of their players they demand. McVay, for instance, seems to be all about limited selfishness and players with a high football IQ and passion for the game. Why? Because he believes in giving players a lot of rope and not micromanaging their lives. Quirky personalities and off the wall lifestyles don't bother him as long as it doesn't adversely affect the team.

Its no different in families or in other businesses. Some can tolerate, even celebrate, differences and diversity (SpaceX); others demand uniformity and conformity (IBM).

I'm saying all this, because I think that not only would Suh fit just fine with the Rams; but the knock on Peters and Talib is somewhat similar to the concerns about Suh. They are all strong personalities with quirks, a bit of maverick built into them, and might not be the guy you want your daughter to date. However the "offenses" these guys have against them seem to be very nebulous. On field and off field. None of these guys are criminals. Haven't heard of any of them beating their girlfriends or being picked up driving in a drug induced stupor. Their main crimes? They are all alpha personalities who really don't much care what anyone else thinks about them. They speak their minds, are anything but politically correct, and in some cases are a bit too impulsive and chippy. They don't respond well to being yelled at or humiliated or treated in a way they take as disrespect. Peters in particular is clearly immature and has a chip on his shoulder the size of an Escalade. But what they all have in common, and what McVay clearly values is, they are all GREAT football players; guys who love and are passionate for the game, and insist on winning and HATE losing. They take it personally.

Talib was supposedly a cancer and unmanageable when he went to Denver. Then Wade gets him and he becomes one of the top 3 CBs in the game and gets a ring. And now Talib sees Wade as a guy he'd go to war with. Or at least when given a choice, Wade is the guy Talib wants to work for.

I really think that McVay's and Wade's natural personalities, affability, relationship orientation and genuine like of people and their quirks is going to make assimilating guys like Talib and Peters, and perhaps Suh, seamless. This is not the same as trying to take on board an Aldon Smith, or a Burfict, or some other guy who is borderline criminal and addict. Those cases are not about quirky personalities; they are about poor character and irresponsibility. And about questionable value to the team and winning.

Just my opinion.....acknowledging I only know what I have read.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2018 03:39AM by RockRam.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

A look behind the scenes at what Ndamukong Suh is like as a co-worker

Ohiorams834March 23, 2018 01:20AM

Turd alert

RFIP551March 23, 2018 02:55AM

Eh?

RamUK371March 23, 2018 02:59AM

obviously not.... LOL nm

Ramsrule351March 23, 2018 03:33AM

A classic example of

RamUK297March 23, 2018 03:44AM

Rich does that from time to time..... ;-)

Ramsrule371March 23, 2018 03:53AM

Re: Eh?

RFIP312March 23, 2018 03:57AM

AlbaNY_Ram252March 23, 2018 04:02AM

Rams43239March 23, 2018 06:40AM

Re: A look behind the scenes at what Ndamukong Suh is like as a co-worker

Ramboni363March 23, 2018 03:15AM

Suh's not going to be a problem for McVay or Phillips

RockRam354March 23, 2018 03:36AM

Re: Uh no....

laram297March 23, 2018 05:11AM

Really?

Blue and Gold252March 23, 2018 09:52AM

Re: You're right I'm wrong......

laram271March 23, 2018 09:58AM

Rams43218March 23, 2018 11:23AM

RamsFanSinceLA202March 23, 2018 01:05PM

Well...it's a guarantee we will not have 100% attendance...

jemach186March 23, 2018 01:18PM