Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Donald...what's the hold up?

March 19, 2018 01:44PM
As many have posted...we know squat.

But, here are some possibilities...

1) Donald is holding out for unreasonable money
2) The Rams are low balling since he is under contract
3) Donald is slow walking this to see what other top free agents are going to get...like the article posted on other top free agents not yet signed...whatever these other top players get, it will likely affect each others contract...so...who goes first?
4) Donald is seeking an early opt out - he sees how the market escalates each year...and, if he's playing at a high level in two years, why not get FMV, which will undoubtedly increase his contract?
5) The Rams will use the tools at their disposal and make Donald play under the 5th year option and if necessary, franchise tags. They will "roll the dice" on what happens in future years with Peters, Gurley, etc.
6) Add others

It's a combination of things. But, IMO, historically, it's the players who are at risk...from being cut to career ending injury...life threatening/shortening injury. It this reason, I do not fault the players. Donald will have no greater leverage than he has now...in 5 years he is not likely the best defensive player in the NFL...but he is now.

Personally, I think it's all going to work out. Donald ultimately needs the guarantee to guard against something bad happening...the Rams need a marquee name to market the team and the new stadium. The Rams need to get this behind him or they start losing or players in upcoming years.

Both sides have lots to win and lots to lose. I believe Aaron Donald wants to play for the Rams. I believe the Rams want Aaron Donald to remain a Ram for a long time.

What worries me is that the Rams have shown inability to sign their best...they have signed misfits. If they don't get Donald signed, the dominoes start falling next season...they will start losing other players.

I'm hoping this is done by draft time...but more likely its going to be done in August. I just don't see Donald showing up to camp without a new contract...no matter what he says now. IMO, he would be stupid to do so.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Donald...what's the hold up?

jemach439March 19, 2018 01:44PM

LOL I agree 100% with this part of your post!

Ramadune231March 19, 2018 01:47PM

Not concerned

reggae183March 19, 2018 03:03PM

I can't believe this has gone on this long

Ram49196March 19, 2018 03:46PM

Re: I can't believe this has gone on this long

oldschoolramfan146March 19, 2018 04:17PM

Re: I can't believe this has gone on this long

AlbaNY_Ram182March 19, 2018 06:03PM

Re: Donald...what's the hold up?

Ramswillwin170March 19, 2018 04:44PM