Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Deadpool's mock 2.0 2018 edition (plus explanations)

March 08, 2018 11:03AM
As I mentioned in my 1st mock draft, I was going to do 3 mocks. 1 post-senior bowl (done), 1 post combine 9this one) and 1 pre-draft (so I can cheat). If anyone wants one after the 1st or 2nd weeks of FA, I could be talked into one.

And with any mock before FA and cuts, some assumptions have to be made. Here are mine:
1. I originally thought the Rams would only sign their own FAs, no blockbusters. I still think no blockbuster signings, but they have too many holes not to fill some with free agency.
2. TruJo is gone
3. I am operating under the assumption Barron is back and TA is gone.
4. I am also really hoping Watkins is resigned. The Rams have searched for decent WRs since Holt left, so keep Sammy.
5. If the Rams upgrade at TE it will be late in the draft (and then it becomes a project TE more then an upgrade) or in FA.
6. I think the Rams draft a OC somewhere.
7. NT has to be a FA or draft pick. If the Rams are serious about upgrading their run defense, NT is a priority.

Round 1 (23) - Harold Landry - Edge - Boston College - Gets to the QB. Has the size Wade likes in his OLBers @ 6'-2" 252 lbs. A speed to power guy I liken to Vic Beasley. He is flexible enough to bend and dip, good exposion off the ball, needs to get stronger.

My original pick: Mike Hughes - CB - UCF

Who else makes sense: Any number of CBs to pair along side Peters. Hughes and Jackson make the most sense (Ward will be long gone), maybe even Alexander (hopefully after a trade down). A center could make sense like Billy Price (again trade down) or James Daniels. Lastly if Da'Ron Payne slips. he could be a target or Arden Key if the Rams are satisfied with his off field red flags. Also 3 ILBers work in Evans, Smith and Vander Esch.

Round 3 (87) - Josey Jewell - ILB - Iowa - The Rams need a new defensive playcaller and a true run stuffer in the middle and he fits the bill. Not the flashiest LBer you will see but gets the job done.

My original pick: Tyrell Crosby - He still makes some sense, but with all the holes on defense and a need at OC, I cannot see them going early on a OT.

Who else makes sense: Again a CB like Anthony Averett or Tony Brown (both from Alabama) I like Brown alot. An edge rusher like Ogbonnia Okoronkwo makes a ton of sense if the Rams go OC, NT or CB in the first round. Lorenzo Carter or Uchenna Nwosu if they slide. A TE could be a possibility as well.

Round 4 (131) - Tony Brown - CB - Alabama - Didn't start at Alabama because he free lanced too much for Sabin's taste. 6' 200 lber that was lights out at the combine.

My original pick: Jeff Holland/ Uchenna Nwosu - 2 rush backers that still make sense.

Who else makes sense - at this point almost any OL, esp. a OC. A NT maybe. Another CB.

Round 4 (135) Sean Walsh - OC/OG - Iowa - Started all 4 years at Iowa - perfect fit as a OC. Rams interviewed him at Senior Bowl.

My original pick: None (Rams added a 2nd 4th round pick)

Who else makes sense: A TE like Ian Thomas or Tyler Conklin (both were interviewed by the Rams at the Senior Bowl) An edge rusher possibly like Holland. Maybe a safety like Trayvon Henderson.

Round 5 (160) - Deadrin Senat - NT - 6'-0" 314 LB fire hydrant that fits well in a 3-4. Rams interviewed him at Senior bowl so that helps.

My original pick: Josey Jewell - After watching more tape, I think Jewell is gone by round 4.

Who else makes sense - a number of TEs, a OT, maybe a change of pace back at this point. Akrum Wadley could fit the bill.

Round 6 (176) - TE - Notre Dame - Rams have pass catching TEs, they need a more multi faceted TE that can do some blocking. Smythe was under utilized at ND behind a bad QB.

My original pick: Durham Smythe. he still makes sense.

Who else makes sense: Anything from LB or a nickle CB to OL depth.

Round 6 (183) - Chase Edmonds - RB - Fordham - a smaller, change of pace back (5'-9" 205) that was highly productive and can catch the football. Athletic with a solid build. Performed well in drill at the combine.

My original pick - Deadrin Senat - I moved him up.

Who else makes sense: any value that drops. Its time to add depth.

Round 6 (195) Jaleel Scott - WR - New Mexico St. - A big, athletic WR with plus hands. 6'-5" 215 lbs. Could make an intriguing add to an offense that could use some WR depth.

Round 6 (196) - Nick DeLuca - ILB - NDSU - My yearly homer pick. He is a big run stopping ILBer that is instinctive, can drop into coverage and has been a team leader on a multiple championship team. Plays faster then timed.

Round 6 (198) - Brandon Parker - OT - North Carolina A & T - a developmental OT prospect that has the size and athleticism for a LT, needs weightroom and technique work (perfect grooming type OT IMO)

What I accomplished:
Starters at: Edge, ILB, NT.
Future starter at: OC
Depth: CB, RB, WR, TE, OT and ILB (DeLuca might work inside and outside)

Now I am convinced the Rams are trading some of these picks to move around to target specific, scheme fit defenders. So this mock is really out of whack with where they will actually pick.

Some names I want to throw out there i didn't mention that I would love to get on the roster:
Lorenzo Carter - He isn't a first rounder, but I think he is gone by the Rams pick in round 3. I would love to see Carter coach this kid up.
Any one of Hughes, Jackson and Alexander in the first round. They all have a hole, but as a #2 CB that secondary could be special.
Frank Ragnow - due to his injury I have no idea where he slots in the draft. A top 3 or 4 center IMO.
Kolton Miller - I think he would be a great LT for the future. Too many holes on defense to take him in the 1st.
Gesicki, Goedert or Andrews - all 2nd to middle of the 3rd round TEs. All picked between Rams picks.
Alan Lazard - I like him as a WR, he dominated at times, had an up and down Senior bowl and was decent at the combine. What round does he go? 4th? 5th?
Micah Kiser - I think he makes sense as a ILB for the Rams 3-4.
J'Mon Moore - I really like him as a WR, just more pressing needs at other positions.
Shaquem Griffin- I will say this. I love his story. i think at worst he is a ST demon. I also think the only way the Rams would consider him is if they cut Barron and have a run thumper next to him.

Don't waste your time looking back, you're not going that way. - Ragnar Lothbrok
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Deadpool's mock 2.0 2018 edition (plus explanations)

Deadpool739March 08, 2018 11:03AM

Re: Deadpool's mock 2.0 2018 edition (plus explanations)

dzrams194March 08, 2018 11:36AM

thanks, I like it....DJ has the same pick at 23

Rampage2K-222March 08, 2018 12:49PM

Daniel Jeremiah I am assuming? And a Shane Ray comp.

Deadpool140March 08, 2018 02:45PM

Re: Deadpool's mock 2.0 2018 edition (plus explanations)

Los Angeles Lenny158March 08, 2018 01:08PM

Re: Great depth, enjoyable read after the long day

leafnose151March 08, 2018 01:54PM

Barry was on the field

Deadpool156March 08, 2018 03:02PM

I'm starting to hate this front office - updating my draft

Deadpool144March 08, 2018 07:26PM