Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Some combine notes and thoughts

March 05, 2018 11:21AM
Im in the middle of a blizzard and am finishing up the combine. So I thought I would share some thoughts before Im busy digging out.

I will update with the CBs after I am finished with them. But some early winners were:
Josh Jackson running a 4.49
Jaire Alexander @ 5'-10" 196 lbs running a 4.38 (i thought he was smaller then that)
Carlton Davis running a 4.53 (he still plays slower then that)
Fitzpatrick running a 4.46 @ 6' 205 was very good.
Oliver @ 6' 200 4.51 was good.
Justin Reid - 4.40 at 6' 207 was nice
Davontae Harris measured and ran very well

Some CB losers early on:
Kam Kelly was slow 4.66
Tarvarus McFadden - showed why he had a bad year - 4.67 was not good. he's losing money every day.
Kevin Tolliver didn't run but he has the arm length of a 5'-9" CB not 6'-2"...Maybe only interesting to me?

As far as possible Rams targets:

OL:
Kolton Miller - LT - UCLA - He had himself a weekend. Tested out of his mind and looked smooth in drills. He was one of the guys I needed to see more of and I came away impressed. His sub 5 40 with a 6'-9" 310 lb frame with a 1.67 10 yard split was impressive. 24 reps @ 6'-9" showed strength and his 34" arms are good for a LT.
Braden Smith OG - Auburn - as a middle round guard had a good weekend. Tested well but looked real smooth in drills.
James Daniels - OC - Iowa - looked very good in drills. With Price's injury, he should be the top drafted OC.
Billy Price - OC - Ohio State - torn pec, will be ready by training camp, drops into the 2nd round IMO
Mike McGlinchy - LT - ND - Did what he needed to do IMO to remain in the 1st round.
Orlando Brown - fat, slow and was actually yelled at for lack of effort. RT only and I wouldn't touch him until late day 2.

LB:
Sam Hubbard - Let me get him out the way first. I just don't see him as a standup OLB in a 3-4. Maybe in a run support roll like Barwin, but he isn't getting home. I like him as a 4-3 DE like a poor man's Chris Long.
Harold Landry - he measured in just fine and looked as smooth as anyone in drills. I was concerned about his size, he answered those questions. I like him as a top Rams target now that the Rams need an edge rusher.
Marcus Davenport - I think he is too raw to go top 10, but he is athletic as all get out and looked smooth in drills. I think he would work as a 3-4 Edge.
Dorance Armstrong - slower 40 time, but looked good in drills - I think a 2nd rounder.
Leighton Vander Esch - New leader in the clubhouse at ILB, unless you count Tremaine Edmunds ( I would) He was impressive in drills.
Roquan Smith - I think he ends up being a 4-3 Will or a 3-4 ILB. A tad undersized @ 6'-1" 235.
Rashaad Evans - See Smith, Roquan. He was as good in drills as any LBer. Solidified a 1st round grade IMO.
Josh Sweat - man did he perform, makes you wonder why he was so pedestrian at FSU doesn't it. - Day 2 pick.
Lorenzo Carter - He was lights out and I thought he was a 2nd to early 3rd round pick. I he did nothing to change that.
Josey jewell - Can be had in the 3rd or 4th round (so 3rd for the Rams)
Shaquem Griffin - Not a Rams target, but some 4-3 team is gonna get a heck of a 4-3 will. 1 note, his 4.38 was impressive, but you have to remember whose record he broke - Jon Alston, so 40 times re not everything.
Arden Key - measured in well, I am still leary of him.

DL:
Vita Vea - tweaked hammy - no big deal. Top DT/NT in draft.
Da'Ron Payne - He was an animal out there with a sub 5 40 and looked great in drills.
Taven Bryan - Another outstanding combine performance. I liked late in the 1st. I said it before, if you want to move Brockers back inside, he is your DE.
Tim Settle - had a rough weekend. 3rd or 4th round steal.
Harrison Phillips - I had him higher on my top 5 pre-combine board then anyone. He justified his position. looked very good.
Breeland Speaks - He made some money IMO. Scheme flexible. 3-4 DE later day 2.

TE:
Mike Gesicki - has me rethinking my position of Goedert as the top TE (not really) but he closed the gap. He's a 2 round TE.
Hayden Hurst - also solidified his 2nd round status.
Mark Andrews - I like him - late 2nd early 3rd. had a decent showing.
Durham Smythe - Slowest TE that ran and short broad jump. Rough weekend. Day 3 for sure.

RBs - If the Rams are serious about a RB - there should be a good one drop to them later in the draft. One guy that could provide a nice change of pace was Chase Edmonds - 5'-9" 205 lbs - looked really athletic in the position drills. Caught the ball really well.

As I have repeated over and over - I do not get to gaga on the combine. I use it as a tool inmy toolbox. Its there to reinforce what I think I have seen or makes me go back and take a second look at someone, or makes me look at someone I overlooked.

Don't waste your time looking back, you're not going that way. - Ragnar Lothbrok
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Some combine notes and thoughts

Deadpool725March 05, 2018 11:21AM

Marcus Davenport

PHDram287March 05, 2018 11:49AM

Re: Some combine notes and thoughts

k3297March 05, 2018 12:11PM

I really like Jaire Alexander

Deadpool252March 05, 2018 01:37PM

doesnt sound good for Mayfield

Rampage2K-516March 05, 2018 02:00PM

Re: Mayfield

leafnose221March 07, 2018 03:58AM

Mayfield will turn out to be the best of the bunch.

RockRam145March 07, 2018 04:09AM

Re: I don't like him, he's a punk...

spagsbacker153March 07, 2018 04:11AM

Re: Playing GM ?

leafnose215March 07, 2018 04:20AM

charter member of the Vander Esch fan club

21Dog325March 05, 2018 02:57PM

Re: Some combine notes and thoughts

leafnose251March 07, 2018 04:16AM