Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: They do it because.....

March 04, 2018 12:34PM
RamBill
....they want everyone to be starting from a dead start so that it's the same for everyone. If they didn't have them hold the starting position for a count of 3 they can get a bit of a rolling start by taking off as soon as the hand gets in the air. That could be an advantage. They want it consistent for all

That may be the official story, but it doesn't work in reality. It doesn't actually do what they say it does. Primarily, cuz the guy with the whistle makes a subjective call each time.

There is no consistency. If you watch the athletes carefully, back to back to back, as they get set to run, and as they take off, the arm is held for different time periods. Some players just keep it up there from the start, so they don't have to hear that stupid whistle. Other times, he doesn't blow it when they hold it for less than three. He's not consistent even with that. And the "rolling start" can happen with or without the arm being up for X amount of time, or less than X amount of time. Overall, I've noticed the players are pretty good about not getting any head start, regardless of how long they hold their arm for the style points.

Waterfield had a good point months back, when he showed the films of players with chips on, tracking top speeds. I'd like to see them do that. Perhaps give them all an armband with the chip. Test for top speeds, in full gear. Compare, etc.

I'd also like to see them do the Forty all electronically, and sync it up with digital video timers and the player's arm band chip. Start to finish. That's going to be the most accurate way to do it. Let the scouts do their stop watches in the stands, old school. But for the "official" times, it should be based on digital video timing, tripped by electronics at the start and the finish. Show the TV audience that as soon as it's available. In the digital age, it should be almost immediately.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

The Combine: Anyone else hate the guy with the whistle?

Billy_T382March 04, 2018 08:23AM

Re: The Combine: Anyone else hate the guy with the whistle?

Ramsdude142March 04, 2018 08:25AM

Re: The Combine: Anyone else hate the guy with the whistle?

Billy_T116March 04, 2018 08:33AM

Though I do not watch the Combine at all, could the arm / whistle thing...

Ramgator105March 04, 2018 09:26AM

They do it because.....

RamBill134March 04, 2018 12:10PM

Re: They do it because.....

Billy_T116March 04, 2018 12:34PM