Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Malcolm Gladwell and paying star players

December 15, 2017 01:24PM
PeoriaRa
I was listening to a Malcolm Gladwell podcast and he discussed a theory or framework he called strong link/ weak link.

Essentially, what he said is that study proved that for a soccer team, the team gets more improvement from improving the weakest members of a team than they do from adding on superstar. Because of the flow of soccer games, it is rare for one transcendent player to make a score soley by individual effort or achievement. The contrasting sport is basketball, where one superstar can succeed on a team of less competent players.

This got me thinking what kind of application this has for football, and in particular for the Rams.

If I had to guess, I would say that football is a hybrid strong link/ weak link sport. Because of the importance of the quarterback position, spending resources getting a superstar at that spot would make sense. Aside from the QB, however, I would argue that football is more like soccer in that all the parts have to work together to increase team success, and that it is very possible that teams would be better served to spend medium money on mid-range FA to replace their worst players, rather than spending big money on a superstar. In fact, I wonder if this type of analysis is what has led to Patriots having such continued success. They rarely pay superstars outside of Brady. And making decisions using this type of analysis would explain something like the Britt signing...they signed Britt not because he is good but because he is marginally better than their worst WR and is reasonably priced.

IF this is true (and I admit it is a big if) how does it apply to the Rams? Does it suggest that giving a Suh+ contract to Aaron Donald might be bad utilization of funds, relative to trying to find 3 or 4 midrange FA that we can use to replace our worst players? In a sense, that is what Snead and McVay did last year, as Robinson and Barnes and our WR's were almost certainly our weakest links. For that matter, who would be considered our weakest links on this year's team?

Anyway, I don't know the answers, but it is pretty interesting way to look at team building, isn't it?
Interesting thoughts, Peoria, and agree with you on your “hybrid theory” as it pertains to the QB position as well as your general thoughts on spending money on areas of weakness.

An interesting counterpoint to the Patriots’ style is , well, the Seahawks:

[www.google.com]

Seattle uses a “star-heavy” cap system with remarkably few mid-level players.

One interesting tidbit from coaching kids’ soccer: mid-level and poor players don’t matter much; all you need is one star player and the whole team can dominate. This is due to the overwhelming disparity in talent levels for kids... talent level disparity is less drastic for pro players.

Having said that, I’d make an exception for AD... as Wade says, he was surprised to learn that AD is “just better than everyone else.”
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Malcolm Gladwell, Stong Link-Weak Link Theory and the Rams

PeoriaRa769December 15, 2017 09:32AM

team-building

wv ram589December 15, 2017 09:46AM

Agree with the entire analysis

waterfield168December 15, 2017 09:58AM

Agree completely

LMU93122December 15, 2017 02:23PM

Re: Malcolm Gladwell, Stong Link-Weak Link Theory and the Rams

CraigMatson309December 15, 2017 10:16AM

Re: Malcolm Gladwell and paying star players

XXXIVwin177December 15, 2017 01:24PM

Hadn't thought it in those terms, but generally I agree. What about AD?

RockRam144December 16, 2017 04:06AM

Re: Hadn't thought it in those terms, but generally I agree. What about AD?

Rams43131December 16, 2017 06:33AM

Re: Hadn't thought it in those terms, but generally I agree. What about AD?

dzrams205December 16, 2017 01:48PM