Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Malcolm Gladwell, Stong Link-Weak Link Theory and the Rams

December 15, 2017 10:16AM
I've listened to Gladwell before and some of thoughts can definitely apply to competitive sports.
One example he gave in a seminar about the underdog book ( including David and Goliath story with a science breakdown is classic ) was how a basketball coach took a team to the top just focusing on extreme conditioning and total full court press all game long .
Team would win by holding team to extremely low point tottals but it won a ton of games without players with much offencive skills.
So can NFL team win without top stars at key positions and being economically frugal ?.
Well it depends on how hard working the average level of player you have is ,how good your scheme is ,and in the case of your lesser players how mistake prone are they ?.
Lol you can probably be sunk by the mistakes of your scrubs almost as much you can reach the Apex with your upper tier talent.
QB is at least one position you want a upper tier talent at .
DT will be a heavy decision but think historically having an all pro there doesn't equate much to NFL titles .
But if you want to win games and be a playoff regular you don't want to let your great players get away without a back up plan at least . So you need that and a huge bell curve type cluster of very good players I'm sure .
I still think it wind ups the same way it would look with the distribution of talent but it would be great if the middle of that core came from mainly players constantly upgrading themselves and maturing in a great system .
That being said maybe a 3-4 end should be considered for round 3 in next draft at least .
And yes system greatness means a great deal in the end .
It would also seem to mean if you have a talent that fits well you want to keep that talent even if they are not considered extremely special but work for you in a great way .
Those are also important decisions .You have to get those right too.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2017 10:38AM by CraigMatson.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Malcolm Gladwell, Stong Link-Weak Link Theory and the Rams

PeoriaRa769December 15, 2017 09:32AM

team-building

wv ram590December 15, 2017 09:46AM

Agree with the entire analysis

waterfield169December 15, 2017 09:58AM

Agree completely

LMU93122December 15, 2017 02:23PM

Re: Malcolm Gladwell, Stong Link-Weak Link Theory and the Rams

CraigMatson309December 15, 2017 10:16AM

Re: Malcolm Gladwell and paying star players

XXXIVwin179December 15, 2017 01:24PM

Hadn't thought it in those terms, but generally I agree. What about AD?

RockRam145December 16, 2017 04:06AM

Re: Hadn't thought it in those terms, but generally I agree. What about AD?

Rams43131December 16, 2017 06:33AM

Re: Hadn't thought it in those terms, but generally I agree. What about AD?

dzrams206December 16, 2017 01:48PM