December 11, 2017 08:33AM
My observations from yesterday (trends, etc.)

The offense runs through Gurley – he was nearly unstoppable yesterday. Yet, the coach keeps going away from him. I saw no indication that the Eagles could stop him running the ball or in the passing game. Play action works because of him. They need to feed Gurley and all the numbers back it up. He is a BEAST…and how about some of those jump cuts and bursts?!!

McVay – he has done an EXCELLENT job. I think he will grow and Colin Cowherd said it best on his show this morning “he is this generation’s Bill Walsh” …. I agree. However, he has his weaknesses … that call for the strip was awful. He didn’t involve any of the TE’s the entire game. AND…. he went away from Gurley…. There are times he gets fairly “Martzian” … I think he will grow past it. But it was one of the reasons they lost yesterday.

Officiating – it has to be the first thing the NFL addresses. Yesterday’s game was atrocious. Despite the warnings, that Tru flag at that time in the game was terrible. That broke the team’s momentum and back and both guys were chirping, but not ominously. It was a joke.
Watching the game a second time, I was even MORE shocked at how they just flat out held Aaron Donald the entire game. Often, they would double up AND hold him! Blatantly! They did a little bit of holding on Quinn as well…… and frankly, call me a tin foil hat guy, I gotta believe Chris Long offered some suggestions on his former ‘brothers’….. the Eagles could have been called for holding on nearly every offensive play. It was pathetic.

Goff – We made the right pick at #1. Wentz is very talented. He reminds me of Elway or Luck. Very strong and competitive. However, I love Goff’s demeanor and think he will be a long-term winner in this league. He got drilled once yesterday where his helmet came off (still looked to have a raspberry during the press conference), got up and looked like ice. I do NOT agree with people talking about his pocket presence. I see just the opposite. He has nice feet and climbs the pocket, often extending plays. People will hate this, but I see a lot of Joe Montana in him… a little Fouts, a little Warner. He is going to get better and better.

Watkins – I want soooooo bad to love #12. But it genuinely looks like if his number isn’t called or he isn’t option #1, he doesn’t give a ton of effort. He is starting to remind me of Torrey Smith. I HOPE I’M WRONG…..because he has a ton of talent. Woods was missed yesterday.

Defense – We are in trouble at CB. That has to be a priority in the draft or FA. Should be easy to attract a big-name CB to L.A. Ogletree shouldn’t have been playing. Donald was held most of the game and still had an impact….. Foles was drilled a couple times by #99. Wade didn’t have a good game yesterday. Especially against Foles. We need a NT and another MLB.

Tavon Austin Fans – I was wondering if you took note of the several plays Cooper played the jet sweep/decoy role and it worked each time? Tavon is fast, but he is not a good NFL football player. The last play of the game seemed to me to be the final chapter in a bust draft pick they have tried desperately to make work. I cringe when he is in the game … I’m just waiting for disaster. Little has been said about Cooper’s climb to PR royalty and how #11 could never do that either. Prediction: plays for two more teams and out of football in 3 years.

GREAT stuff - The play with Jared throwing across his body and Gurley’s hurdle was special. Two players that will grow together and be very, very special. One of my favorite plays of the year.

I had more, but I’ll shut up now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2017 08:54AM by Ram49.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Rams vs. Eagles: My Observations (trends)

Ram49421December 11, 2017 08:33AM

Re: Rams vs. Eagles: Great read

BumRap163December 11, 2017 08:50AM

And somehow Watkins has 7 TDs

RFIP237December 11, 2017 08:55AM

I don't get it ... is he John Taylor?

Ram49202December 11, 2017 08:58AM

Re: And somehow Watkins has 7 TDs

Rams43140December 11, 2017 09:23AM

Re: Rams vs. Eagles: My Observations (trends)

Rams43159December 11, 2017 09:12AM

Re: Rams vs. Eagles: Sammy +Wentzola

Steve161December 11, 2017 10:19AM

Re: Rams vs. Eagles: Sammy +Wentzola

Rams43156December 11, 2017 10:39AM