Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The perfection myth

December 04, 2017 06:55AM
My friend, I am always amazed at the world-wide mania--in every sport--to critique wins.

The international champions at sourly nit-picking their own teams are the Brits. They LOVE to trash their clubs and national teams after wins.

But there's a lot of it here, too. People--pundits and fans--pick at anything less than an utterly dominant blowout.

Now, astute observers will, of course, identify significant weaknesses that persist over time. It's well to be aware of this sort of thing.

But I am always amazed at how often people pick at scabs which arise from simple human errors and plays made by the other team.

Great teams win lots of ugly games. That's the great skill--learning to record W's. No team can play perfect, consistently dominant ball--in any sport. What counts is the W.

That's something SEA really understands. As does NE. It's the win that counts.

You make a lot of good points, and as I say, it's valuable to see one's team clearly.

But, Lord, let's never apologize for an ugly win.

The great Jack Nicklaus used to say that his favorite championships were the ones he won with his B or C game. Long may we continue winning "ugly" road games by 16 points!
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

I’m kinda rethinking my “winning ugly” comments from yesterday...

Rams43308December 04, 2017 06:41AM

The perfection myth

RFL170December 04, 2017 06:55AM

It was a weird game 43

ferragamo79137December 04, 2017 07:42AM

Re: It was a weird game 43

CROMWELL21146December 04, 2017 07:56AM

Re: I’m kinda rethinking my “winning ugly” comments from yesterday...

Rampage2K-106December 04, 2017 07:53AM