Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: some offseason musings...

November 28, 2017 10:50AM
LMU93
Just thinking out loud. Long way to go so subject to much change...

1. I think Quinn gets released and they save the $11.44M. I doubt Barwin is re-signed. OLB becomes a top 4 need (even with Longacre and Ebukam). Release or trade Austin (saves $3M) if you can get anything. Gives Rams $62.8M in projected cap room.

2. Speaking of Longacre he's a RFA and I'd tack on a year to his contract like they did with Westbrooks this offseason.

3. Let Johnson go. Re-sign Joyner and Robey-Coleman for 1/2 the price.

4. Get Donald's deal done. You want the guaranteed $$ to be spread over his prime years, not into his 30s.

5. Pick up Gurley's 5th year option for 2019 (~$9.2M). He's earned it.

6. Call me crazy but I try to extend Watkins (4 yrs, $32M) and if not then franchise him (probably ~$15.8M) for 2018. I'm OK overpaying for short-term deals (like Johnson this year). But I think a deal can be done.

6. Re-sign Sullivan for one year. An under-the-rader free agent they need to retain is McQuaide. Gotta keep the band together. I also make modest one-year offers to Carrier and Walker.

7. Draft: For now I'm going to assume the Rams have around the 26th overall pick. Unfortunately a trade down won't yield all that much unless it's a pretty big trade down (20 spots) or a desperate team at the top of the draft doesn't get their QB and wants to trade back up into the 1st for someone. Right now I lean toward staying put and taking a CB (kids from Colorado and Iowa look like good options). Focus on OT, C, OLB and DE the remainder of the draft. They could get a quality OL in the 3rd.

Just late November thoughts....

Very nice post, 93.

I mostly agree, but do have a couple of differences.

3. I would extend TruJo if he would agree to $12 million per. Would fill a big hole for 5 or more years. If he wants still more, then let him walk. Joyner is a very high priority extension and I’m sure that they get that one done. NRC? I’m not in love with the guy, myself, but others are so I dunno...

4. We are far apart on handling AD. I prefer Rock’s take. No need to mow that lawn again.

6. I would extend Watkins for that 4 year $32 million in a heartbeat. But I would NOT tag him unless he absolutely blows the doors off in these final 5 games plus the playoffs. I like Reynolds, Woods, and Kupp next year just fine if Watkins wants to play hardball.

Other than these, I’m liking your takes. And I’m kinda hairsplitting on 3 and 6, tbh.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2017 10:51AM by Rams43.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

some offseason musings...

LMU93467November 28, 2017 03:38AM

agreed for the most part, LMU.....but I'd trade out of the 1st

SunTzu_vs_Camus176November 28, 2017 04:19AM

Re: .....but I'd trade out of the 1st

den-the-coach166November 28, 2017 04:31AM

trading out

LMU93129November 28, 2017 04:31AM

Don't forget about a NT

RamsDynasty159November 28, 2017 05:37AM

Re: Don't forget about a NT