Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

OK. What changes need to be made in the off season to this team?

November 28, 2017 03:22AM
I think we've seen enough to know what personnel changes need to be made to short up deficient areas and to perhaps add depth.

Offense:

1) Get a young LT. Not to start immediately, but to learn. A true talent that has a year to learn under the best. I have no problem with the notion of the Rams spending their 1st round pick on an LT, knowing he likely won't start in 2018. LT is key to every NFL offense. Whit is doing a great job, but Father Time is no respecter of persons.

2) Get a much better starting TE. This needs to be a TE who can both block and catch; but blocking is essential. I think this might need to be a FA pick-up, or perhaps a trade.

3) Better Oline depth. I think we have a winner in Blythe. I think we also might have a pretty good RT in Williams. I don't know that we are deep enough at OG, and I hate to think what might happen if Whit went down for any length of time.

4) Make a decision on Watkins. Does he fit with Goff and the system that needs to be run to help Goff succeed? If yes, re-sign him to a similar contract to Woods. If he won't take it, let him walk. If he's not the right fit then just forfeit the 2nd rounder we paid for him and get the guy we need. My personal opinion is that we should keep Watkins, and that there is a fair chance that other than the typical year to year upward adjustments, we can sign him to a similar contract as Woods (about 4 years $40 mil).

Defense:

1) Get a premier NT. This is why the Rams have such trouble against RBs. Our ILBs are good cover guys but they can handle the big uglies who engulf them. I suspect FA is the place to get this starter.

2) Secure the secondary. This is going to be tricky. TruJ is plenty good to resign. But he is NOT an elite CB and shouldn't be paid elite money. If he wants to test the market, fine. But the Rams better have a plan for their secondary by years end because Wade's D depends on man-to-man coverage and CBs who can tackle. We see the difference when Joyner doesn't play; and it's not good.

3) Upgrade OLB. At this point in his career, Barwin ought to be depth, not the starter. Quinn is gone. First and foremost for salary reasons; but second, he is miscast as an OLB. He is a classic 4-3 rush end. Here is another place where FA might be the best solution; but I could see a high draft pick if the right guy is there.

4) Do NOT re-sign Donald to a block buster contract. He's under contract. I don't care if he plays silly games again. The Rams need to spend that cap next year to keep guys with expiring contracts and to acquire new blood. The next year, franchise Donald if necessary. Oh, I want the Rams to keep Donald. But a DT is not where a team ought to break the bank. Has Suh somehow turned his team into a winner? He didn't at Detroit and he hasn't in Miami.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

OK. What changes need to be made in the off season to this team?

RockRam384November 28, 2017 03:22AM

I agree with all but two points...

jemach170November 28, 2017 03:26AM

Not suggesting we let Donald walk.

RockRam149November 28, 2017 03:40AM

Re: I agree with all but two points...+ a lil more

Steve147November 28, 2017 03:59AM

Re: OK. What changes need to be made in the off season to this team?

LMU93145November 28, 2017 03:48AM

Re: OK. What changes need to be made in the off season to this team?

GreatRamNTheSky193November 28, 2017 03:57AM

on Ogletree

LMU93130November 28, 2017 04:08AM

I don't think Watkins will stay

BlueRidgeHorns226November 28, 2017 08:09AM

So many respected posters, so many different opinions...

Rams43131November 28, 2017 09:12AM

This team needs a RT BADLY nm

RFIP115November 28, 2017 09:15AM

Re: This team needs a RT BADLY nm

Rams43122November 28, 2017 09:39AM