Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Well, I think we’re just 3 items short of being an elite team,, y’all..

October 24, 2017 04:09AM
Not counting the usual disclaimer about avoiding too many injuries, of course.

Please bear with me for a moment as I do a quickie review from 30,000 feet...

First, Wade’s D. Somehow, some way, Wade has molded this unit that has only one All Pro on it into a kick butt scoring D. Moving Brockers, moving Joyner, starting JJ are looking like brilliant decisions. Some of us were worried about Tree and Barron, but not anymore. Even Barwin has stepped up lately and Quinn showed some signs of life vs the Cards. It’s been a wade synergy thing.

Here’s the bottom line. Last 14 consecutive quarters they’ve yielded 39 points. And that includes 7 points from that gifted run to Fournette on the blown gap assignment on the Jag first play. This outstanding little D scoring run averages out to around 11 points per game. THAT will get the danged job done, huh? I don’t expect that 11 ppg average to continue, but then again, I do expect these players to continue to improve as a unit as they further gel together. Love me some Wade! Take a bow, sir.

Second, Fassel’s ST. Wouldn’t trade these guys for anyone else in the league. Hekker is simply the best, a definite All Pro. GZ is leading the danged league in scoring! Missed only one attempt through 7 games. Pharoh has been outstanding on KOR and has been an upgrade since taking over PR duties. Our coverage and return units have been outstanding. Take a bow, coach Fassel!

Thirdly, McVay’s O. What an improvement! Worst to first in scoring. Hardly recognize the “new” Goff and Gurley. Kromer’s job with this OL can’t be overstated, another worst to top 5 effort. Kupp and Woods have been beyond impressive and have mastered the O since camp, at least. McVay’s play calling and creation of mismatches has been superb. We rarely get outcoached, anymore. The entire O coaching staff deserves to take a bow, too.

Helluva job by all of the above, so far.

So, what are my 3 items needed to get us to elite status? (No, I didn’t stutter. I did say elite).

1) Get Watkins fully incorporated into this O. He’s just not there, yet. He needs to fully grasp this O, the audible options, and his sight adjustments such that he and Goff are on the same damned page at all times. Goes without saying that he needs to demonstrate 100% effort with good body language. Watkins is potentially an O beast for us. He can threaten the D short, medium, and deep on every single snap and force the D to gameplan just for him, loosening things up even more for our other weapons. Somehow, our staff needs to reach Watkins and see that he “gets it”, and the sooner the better. Watkins is a scoring machine waiting to happen.

2) Next is Higbee/Everett. McVay is known as a TE whisperer, but so far all we’ve seen from these 2 are occasional flashes. I think both are capable of much more. I can’t wait to see our 2 TE’s become the terrors that some other teams enjoy. I think this will come, but if it comes soon, look out! Opposing DC’s won’t know whether to crap or wind their watch! Lol.

3) Last, but not least is improving our red zone scoring. It’s baffling that with this OL, this QB, these TE’s and WR’s, not to mention Gurley, that this team should struggle down there. This is the item of my 3 that I think may be most difficult to achieve. McVay reportedly struggled with this in Washington, too. But if he can get a handle on this shortcoming, Katie bar the door!

The good news is that I think it’s looking like a short 3 step hop, skip, and a jump from very good to elite status for us. NOBODY could have foreseen this back in July. More good news is that I suspect all 3 of these items can and will be addressed before the playoffs begin. See what I did there? Lol.

Thoughts or comments welcome, y’all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2017 04:12AM by Rams43.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Well, I think we’re just 3 items short of being an elite team,, y’all..

Rams43560October 24, 2017 04:09AM

Re: Well, I think we’re just 3 items short of being an elite team,, y’all..

LMU93306October 24, 2017 04:28AM

Re: Well, I think we’re just 3 items short of being an elite team,, y’all..

AlbaNY_Ram259October 24, 2017 05:16AM

Just execution IMO

Atlantic Ram282October 24, 2017 05:56AM

bortles, etc

wv ram231October 24, 2017 06:03AM

Re: bortles, etc

Rams43183October 24, 2017 06:30AM

Saints = overrated

FootballGenius192October 24, 2017 06:50AM

Have they run a single fade all year?

psxpaul208October 24, 2017 07:51AM