Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The Browns are nuts. A zillion draft picks is not the way to rebuild

August 31, 2017 04:33AM
I used to buy the idea that a team that needs a makeover needs to hoard all the draft picks they can. I simply have not seem this formula work in recent times.

It seems like teams with tons of picks (Browns now have 13) just means they miss more on their selections or take risks because they're feeling flush. And teams are very reluctant to cut guys after training camp who were drafted in the first 4 rounds. It is virtually automatic that if you were picked in the first 4, even 5, rounds, you'll make the team. So the misses tend to get compounded by holding on too long to what looks like a bad investment.

Besides, you can only assimilate so many rookies into a team in any given year. The military learned that long ago that you unless its an emergency, you must mix in replacements as slowly as possible. You need a majority of good vets to show the way. McVay figured that out quickly and picked up Whitmore and Sullivan and Woods on O and Barwin and some vet DBs on D. It takes a mix. You need on field leadership. You don't learn to win by losing your a$$ off.

I've become a much bigger proponent of trading higher draft picks for proven players. The only risks then become injury and chemistry. I also think that signing good vets that seem to have gas left in their tank to short term deals is a wise investment in cap space. The trade for Watkins has some risk because of his injury history for sure. But when healthy he is a YOUNG elite #1 WR. All this for a CB that was going to be a sub plus a 2nd round pick? Great trade for the Rams. The odds that the 2nd round pick they traded away turns into a middling starter in the NFL is about 1 in 4.

In addition I would rather see teams bundle lower picks to move up substantially in the draft. Bundle two 4ths for an early 3rd. Bundle a 3rd and a 4th for an early to mid 2nd round pick. Years of stats bear out what ought to be self-evident: the higher the pick, the better the chance of getting a good starter or a star player. I'd rather have 5 picks in the first 3 rounds than a full compliment plus a couple of extra 5ths or 6ths.

Teams like the Browns that intentionally shed better players like Joe Haden and get nothing in return are foolish. Haden is an upper tier CB when healthy, and he appears healthy. Hard to find those.

Just my opinion as arm chair GM.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

The Browns are nuts. A zillion draft picks is not the way to rebuild

RockRam598August 31, 2017 04:33AM

I like what they are doing

BigGame81210August 31, 2017 05:10AM

I like their overall approach personally

LMU93198August 31, 2017 05:13AM

I like what they are doing

NewMexicoRam206August 31, 2017 08:58AM

There are winning teams and losing teams (like us and the Browns)

max181August 31, 2017 09:12AM

Re: There are winning teams and losing teams (like us and the Browns)

Rampage2K-174August 31, 2017 09:16AM

Sorry 2K....., but....

RAMbler200August 31, 2017 09:45AM

Re: Sorry 2K....., but....

Rampage2K-165August 31, 2017 09:53AM

fearsomefoursome218August 31, 2017 10:31AM

Rampage2K-167August 31, 2017 10:35AM