Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The perpetually forgotten factors

August 16, 2017 11:02AM
Prisco
He took a beating in his seven starts, sometimes brutally. Put on any tape from any of his starts and you will see a kid that took a pounding. Some of it was self-inflicted by not getting rid of the football fast enough, but many times it was also the result of bad line play.

I thought this was a fair article. But, I was bugged a bit by the above. I was bugged because it repeats a simplistic distortion so flaming common among pundits and fans all over the league.

A QB gets pounded. It has to do with reading and reacting. It also has to do with the OL doing its job. Indeed. Prisco does well to acknowledge this 2nd factor.

BUT DON'T STOP THERE!

What about the WR/TEs running routes? What if they aren't open? What if the OC's scheme is not effective in creating open space for the WR/TEs to get open?

How many Ram fans on this board have sadly observed that there simply weren't open receivers across the field? It was a real, authentic problem. Goff didn't have anyone to throw to half the time as the rush closed in. A QB doesn't have many good options if all his people are covered.

I dunno. It just bugs me. It's so hard to find anyone who can talk about all the dimensions of a successful or unsuccessful play. Even a good pundit offering a wise, balanced take can't remember to add one more brief clause: "And much of the time, there were simply no open receivers to throw to." Is that so hard?

Color me a disgruntled old fart.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Prisco agrees with many here re Goff

RFIP845August 16, 2017 10:11AM

The perpetually forgotten factors

RFL314August 16, 2017 11:02AM

I agree but at times it didn't matter

Atlantic Ram291August 16, 2017 01:06PM

It Was Too Easy

LBRamsFan236August 16, 2017 03:03PM