Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I'd like to offer what I heard as the highlights of this excellent broadcast

August 11, 2017 04:13AM
Let me state up front that this is not a Reader's Digest version of everything that was said. It is only what stood out to me, based on my own personal "filters".

1) First, I find Vinny to be Randy Karraker only 1 level even better. Even keeled; very careful in his comments not to be overly harsh and negative nor to go over the top about someone who impresses him. And, I don't know where he came by his football knowledge, but he seems to know what he's talking about and doesn't try to pretend as though he's a combo GM/Coach like some of the St. Louis guys did.
2) Clearly, as far as offense, he is impressed with McVay, LeFleur, etc., and thought Fisher et al were really bad, and WAY behind the NFL curve. Mentioned specifically that Fishers's outfit didn't seem to react at all to the team's obvious offensive deficiencies or the fact that they had a kid rookie QB who needed to have things made easier, not tougher, on him.
3) Physically he sees Goff in this way: 1) tough as nails physically and that mental toughness goes hand in hand with physical toughness (he refers back to his college days and to the beating he took last year but always got up). 2) High level NFL talent. Spoke about one throw in particular that only a even a few QB in the NFL could make. 3) Noticeably improved from last year; more confident; more in charge. 4) He is a work in progress and patience is needed, but believes that patience with him has a good chance of being rewarded with producing a very good NFL QB.
4) Thinks Gurley's trouble was mostly 1) Bad Oline, 2) bad scheme, 3) teams figured out that Gurley was the only real threat to them because the Rams had no passing game so they stacked the defense to stop the run.
5) Says Rams have all the leverage on the AD contract situation because AD has 2 years left on his rookie deal. At this point it is dubious as to what value there is in AD continuing to hold out. That he has heard that the Rams are willing to make AD the highest paid defensive player in the league....period. But clearly his agents want even more. Doesn't think AD has it coming yet, and doesn't think the Rams ought to give it to him yet or give in to what has to be some pretty major contract demands that resets the standard for the way contracts are structured. But even more, the other players on the Rams team cannot see that the Rams "give in" to record setting contract demands especially due to hold-outs. Otherwise the other players will see hold-outs as a good negotiating strategy.
6) Thinks Higbee is for real and will be a major contributor this year.
7) Thinks Kupp is for real and will do really good things for the Rams this year and just get better as the year progresses. Bigger than people think (closer to 6'3"winking smiley. Quicker and more athletic than people think. Precise in his route running, catches everything, quick and clever feet).
8) Likes Quinn and Barwin at OLBs. Expect good things.
9) Left side of Oline (from Center on out) looks really locked down and ready to go. Whit is everything the Rams hoped for.
10) The addition of Whit allows the Rams to utilize another TE as a weapon instead of using the TE to help to protect the QB. It essentially puts an additional Receiver in the pattern on most passing plays who must be defended.
11) This year's Receivers and TEs considerably better than last years. Sam Rogers a near lock to make the 53. Harkey probably the odd man out.
12) Oline overall looking much better and is schematically being set up for success; they are doing more zone blocking and even though they are big, they are athletic enough to do it (spoke about Hav and Brown being more athletic than you might otherwise think).
13) Zone stretch play to Gurley is going to be a staple in the Rams offense and it fits Gurley's talent's well.
14) McVay high on WR Thomas as a downfield threat.
15) Very young team, still, and that means they will be a work in progress.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2017 05:07AM by RockRam.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Inside the Rams: Vinny B Talks Camp, Donald, Goff and More –Audio

RamBill1006August 10, 2017 02:47PM

Re: Hmm not a bad take from Vinny on Donald...NM

laram302August 10, 2017 03:07PM

Great listen

The_Zone317August 10, 2017 03:57PM

Re: thoughts on lack of toughness

Speed_Kills267August 10, 2017 05:00PM

Re: thoughts on lack of toughness

The_Zone299August 10, 2017 06:03PM

Re: agreed nm

Speed_Kills175August 11, 2017 02:11AM

My main concern with Goff

IowaRam295August 10, 2017 05:08PM

Re: last year heard about fumbled snaps even this early in camp

Speed_Kills262August 10, 2017 05:21PM

Vinny is the voice of reason...

max304August 10, 2017 05:15PM

Vinny must have forgotten....

Rampage2K-263August 10, 2017 11:55PM

I'd like to offer what I heard as the highlights of this excellent broadcast

RockRam301August 11, 2017 04:13AM

The points about Fisher

RFL230August 11, 2017 06:38AM

I truly believe that going in, Fisher did not expect to come back in '17

RockRam271August 11, 2017 07:03AM

thanks for the excellent digest (nm)

L.A.Rams199August 11, 2017 07:17AM

Re: I'd like to offer what I heard as the highlights of this excellent broadcast

dzrams220August 11, 2017 08:21AM

some of the things VB gets wrong about Gurley IMO

zn257August 11, 2017 07:22AM