Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Gonzalez Rams vs Chargers Practice Notes

August 09, 2017 07:28PM
Alden Gonzalez
ESPN Staff Writer

[www.espn.com]

Overheard from Rams' joint practice with the Chargers: CB Trumaine Johnson, on taking off his helmet before swinging at Chargers WR Dontrelle Inman: "I'm from Stockton, man. Stockton came out of me. It really did. I'm not going to take no mess from nobody; I don't care who it is."

Rams rookie report: Shakeir Ryan, an undrafted free agent out of Northwestern State, returned a punt for a touchdown. Ryan, 5-foot-8, still seems like a longshot to make the team. But the Rams have already released a receiver (Bradley Marquez), have another one suspended (Mike Thomas), and two others recovering from soft-tissue injuries (Tavon Austin and Josh Reynolds).

Best play from the Rams' joint practice with the Chargers: Jared Goff ran play action, rolled out a bit, then threw a perfect pass to Cooper Kupp near the opposite sideline for a 25-yard gain.

Rams TE Tyler Higbee, on Chargers: "There was some times when their intensity was a little bit higher than ours. We needed to match it ourselves. I think we failed to a couple times."

The Rams' defense got a couple interceptions off Philip Rivers today. Safety Mo Alexander: "We didn't have a game plan against them, and we're still going good."

Totally unofficial, but I had Jared Goff going 10-for-22 for roughly 110 yards during 11-on-11 drills today. One pass deflected, another thrown away. He attempted six passes to Pharoh Cooper, five to Tyler Higbee, and three each to Robert Woods and Cooper Kupp. Rams didn't cross the Chargers' 40 in two two-minute drills.

Rams QB Jared Goff, on his goals for Saturday's preseason opener and if he's where he needs to be at this point during training camp.

Rams CB Trumaine Johnson, on his brawl with Chargers WR Dontrelle Inman: "Where I'm from, if somebody's going to initiate it, we're going to finish it."

Rams' first-team offense turned it over on downs in the two-minute drill. Nice completion near the sidelines from Jared Goff to Robert Woods, then nothing.

Jared Goff looked sharp during 7-on-7 drills. Completed about a 30-yard pass to Tyler Higbee over the top and also fired a dart across the middle to Robert Woods for about 18 yards.

Rams WR Shakeir Ryan just intensified the "Chargers suck" chants by returning a punt for a touchdown.

We have a third -- THIRD -- mini-fight between the Rams and Chargers. EJ Gaines was involved a second time. Sean McVay came over to talk to him.

Never seen UC Irvine as packed for training camp as it is for today's Rams-Chargers joint practice. Rams drew an announced crowd of about 10,000 for the first practice last year. Today may top that.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Rams’ cornerbacks, the ‘bus drivers,’ add some fight to their training-camp talk

RamBill631August 09, 2017 07:16PM

Gonzalez Rams vs Chargers Practice Notes

RamBill340August 09, 2017 07:28PM

Goff, Higbee Display Chemistry vs. Chargers

RamBill272August 09, 2017 08:10PM

Photos: Rams Training Camp Day 10

RamBill246August 09, 2017 08:20PM

Rams lock horns with Chargers during joint practice

RamBill253August 09, 2017 08:32PM

Training Camp Report: Rams and Chargers Joint Practice

RamBill231August 09, 2017 09:05PM

Re: Gonzalez Rams vs Chargers Practice Notes