Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Yes. And when push comes to shove, that's the problem.

May 11, 2017 01:41AM
It is one reason, I think, that a team trading for Garappolo needs to beware.
The Pats have been designed around the QB. They are a well oiled offensive machine. And of course, a very good defense.

Put Garappolo on a poor team, and then expecting him to elevate it, would be a mistake.

There are QBs who can elevate a team, however. Brady, Rogers, Peyton Manning come to mind.
But even these guys can't make a poor offense with a bad olline, bad receivers, and kindergarten offensive schemes work.

I heard interesting draft debates about the two opposing philosophies on drafting a QB high. The thought is that if you have a very high pick and take a QB, you are bringing him to a bad team and putting that QB in to an unwinnable situation. And it is unlikely that the QB is going to do well until the rest of the team is better. So you might be dooming that QB from the get go. Bottom line: build the team first using back-up quality vet QBs until the team is a QB away from getting over the hump.

The other philosophy is that if you are a bad team, no doubt QB is high on your list. And you do what it takes to get a good QB. And then you develop the QB and the offense together, knowing that you're going to go through growing pains for the entire offense.

I see the merits for both, but really doubt one way is better than the other. They key is to recognize what you are and to have a plan. The always delusional Jeff Fisher honestly felt that the Rams were just a QB away (geesh). But clearly he had no plan to develop Goff or an offense. It was throw it against the wall and see what sticks.

McVay clearly has a plan and it began by shoring up the offensive line, and next getting some Receivers, coming in with a QB friendly scheme, and then by developing Goff the same way he did Cousins; step by step.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Sage Rosenfelds: Why There's Hope for Jared Goff

leafnose1174May 10, 2017 04:16AM

Geez. I think I might buy Sunday Ticket after all!

RockRam571May 10, 2017 05:11AM

Re: Geez. I think I might buy Sunday Ticket after all!

ramBRO391May 10, 2017 08:49AM

When he said We are less than two weeks removed from one of the most exciting NFL drafts in recent memory.

LesBaker297May 10, 2017 04:02PM

A very encouraging read...

Rams43377May 10, 2017 06:27AM

good stuff.

Rampage2K-389May 10, 2017 08:37AM

executing playmaker

wv ram352May 10, 2017 09:32AM

Glad we drafted Goff - I have hope

David Deacon334May 11, 2017 07:07AM

Re: Best read in a long time.......Goff can get the job done.

oldschoolramfan411May 10, 2017 10:16AM

"Others, like Goff, end up on teams that even Brady wouldn’t be able to fix.

Rampage2K-313May 10, 2017 01:33PM

Yes. And when push comes to shove, that's the problem.

RockRam284May 11, 2017 01:41AM

Re: Exactly.........Goff is going to be just fine.

oldschoolramfan249May 11, 2017 07:59AM