Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Geez. I think I might buy Sunday Ticket after all!

May 10, 2017 05:11AM
Just kidding.

But really; here we have a 12 year NFL vet QB who knows what questions to ask, what a BS response is versus what are real football answers, and what actually matters playing QB.

And after personally watching Goff, and then talking with McVay, he thinks Goff has everything from the neck up, and the neck down, to be a good NFL QB. And btw, unlike with Fisher, McVay is smart to say generic, nice things about Goff but not build him up as the next great thing. It puts a lot less pressure on him to make it clear that the kid needs a lot of development.

The thing he said that I don't think very many have said (at least since watching his college tape), is that Goff is the exact opposite of a Checkdown Charlie.

Whether instinctive or operating within the offense as instructed, we all had problems with Sam seemingly making a checkdown the instant he felt pressure. Alex Smith in KC is on his way out, soon, because he is more comfortable padding his numbers and playing risk free football by making short passes and safe check downs than making plays downfield. Whereas Goff in college and even last year under terrible duress was always trying to drive the ball downfield to make a play. According to Rosenfelds this is what separates QBs in the NFL from those who simply want to survive to those who want to make plays and win. It is a built-in mentality. You either have it or you don't. I think his viewpoint is that you can't change a sort of passive, non-risk taker, into a playmaker. And you can't change an aggressive playmaker into a play it safe checkdown king.

I know it is just one man's opinion. But it matches well with his college report. And to some degree,it agrees with what my eyes tell me. That is, I see a tough guy who'll take the hit and bounce back. He keeps looking downfield and will make the tough throw. I see a strong arm and good accuracy. The dude went to Cal so he has to have a brain. And the team loved the guy for his courage. He lived through a really rough first two seasons as Cal's QB, but didn't get down and didn't give up or complain. He hung in there and just got better, and the team got better.

This is what I'm hoping for on the Rams. I don't see him as an overnight sensation; usually overnight QB sensations are that because of their legs and not their arms.

Plus we now have 3 experienced QB developers, one as our HC, who says just what Rosenfelds says: it is ALL about the QB on offense. Period. And McVay adds that the job is make the QB's job easier because it is the hardest job in sports.

So, they are building everything around Goff.....betting big on Goff. I think they have to pull out every stop. There is simply no other way to know if you have a boom or a bust on your hands.

Thank God that poor kid only had to endure one season under Fisher and the Kindergarten Kop Koaches. And, he didn't get hurt, and he didn't lose his confidence.

If this new group of coaches can't get the best out of him, then it falls on Goff. Of that I'm confident.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Sage Rosenfelds: Why There's Hope for Jared Goff

leafnose1173May 10, 2017 04:16AM

Geez. I think I might buy Sunday Ticket after all!

RockRam570May 10, 2017 05:11AM

Re: Geez. I think I might buy Sunday Ticket after all!

ramBRO391May 10, 2017 08:49AM

When he said We are less than two weeks removed from one of the most exciting NFL drafts in recent memory.

LesBaker297May 10, 2017 04:02PM

A very encouraging read...

Rams43377May 10, 2017 06:27AM

good stuff.

Rampage2K-389May 10, 2017 08:37AM

executing playmaker

wv ram352May 10, 2017 09:32AM

Glad we drafted Goff - I have hope

David Deacon334May 11, 2017 07:07AM

Re: Best read in a long time.......Goff can get the job done.

oldschoolramfan410May 10, 2017 10:16AM

"Others, like Goff, end up on teams that even Brady wouldn’t be able to fix.

Rampage2K-312May 10, 2017 01:33PM

Yes. And when push comes to shove, that's the problem.

RockRam284May 11, 2017 01:41AM

Re: Exactly.........Goff is going to be just fine.

oldschoolramfan248May 11, 2017 07:59AM