Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Short of a Goff collapse

April 24, 2017 07:36PM
leafnose
first....

agree with your take a the top of the board.
just with the weight that you and the rest of our board guys have placed on this draft.....your list makes absolute sense. can pretty well exclude those spots.

my over sense of what the new coach will do is to fill the best they can from this year's draft.
With no killer OLT in the group, and we will have to get a young OLT next year, the shopping list is longer than this year's draft can attend too.

believe that will stand for WR, as well.
barring an utter collapse by Goff, next year's shopping list will still have OT, and WR on it.
What I do feel can be addressed to a point is the TE spot. By all accounts, and just reading through Alyo's assessment of them; the team could get a couple with different toolsets, and come out pretty darn well.

the one thing that make me happy this week, is the coach has all the current players in and is getting a pretty decent feel for who has the football acumen to digest the new playbook. AND that goes for Wade, as well.

I'd really love to see us get a WR who either has the JuJu, Kupp sort of capabilities, or a rocket that at least race the 9 route, and get us freebie every so often.
That doesn't mean I expect a racer WR to be the "thing." We're going to still want one next year. Seems that the slots this year have an edge in the toolsets available.

And other spot would be to get a center. Granted.....most of the guys coming in have flaws, but sure appears that they could use this year as a redshirt and get the size and bulk addressed, and conditioning...so on and so on.

But yeah. The shopping list for next year probably includes so help for edge rushing, too.

Thats the million dollar question right? If Goff is as bad this season as last season, and the Rams are drafting top 5, I could realistically see a QB at the top of their wish list. hard to believe, but Goff might be on the hotseat. You just cannot build towards that new stadium in '19 with a floundering QB.

Beyond that, I agree that OT will be a serious need. Just cannot count on Whitworth very long at 35.

WR is an interesting animal. They signed Woods, so we know they like him. The rest they inherited, so what do they think of them? Spruce is a route runner so I think they will like him. Austin is here for another year, so is he the other starter outside? inside? An overpaid gimmick?
Then there is North, Thomas, Shippen, Marquez, North, McRoberts and Cooper. If I were a betting man, I would Cooper and Spruce make the biggest jump.

The other big ? is CB. What happens with Tru? I really think a CB could be the play at 37. They just need more then warm bodies at the position and this would be the year to get one.

TE IMO is not a "major" need, simply due to the fact that you don't need the numbers. You really need 1 guy. Its really what you are looking for, but you can find a starter into round 5 IMO. Engram, Everett, Smith, Leggett, Hodges, Kittles, Shaheen and Butt all make sense.

If you are looking for a bigger, move the chains WR, Juju is your guy, so is Zay Jones, Kupp as mentioned, but don't sleep on ArDarius Stewart and Chad Hansen. All are 3rd to 4th round guys.

As far as a later 1 trick take the top off pony: KD Cannon, Baylor. 4.41 speed, limited route tree and iffy hands slides him late into day.

As far as Center, they will take the one that fits. I have seen Elflien drafted from the 2nd to the 5th. Ruellier from the 3rd to the 7th. So who knows where they go and who they like.

This year is, IMO, a rebuild inside of a rebuild. New coach with a new offense, and a new 3-4 defense. Not near the money to fill all the holes the way you want and so the draft is going to plug the holes with as much good talent as possible. next year is the real build. You can cut some fat that doesn't work on their new team, and solidify what they want this team to look like with cap space and a 1st round pick.

Don't waste your time looking back, you're not going that way. - Ragnar Lothbrok
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Year One for McVay

leafnose719April 24, 2017 05:26AM

Re: Year One for McVay

Rams43246April 24, 2017 05:52AM

No defense at 37 imo

TonyHunter87248April 24, 2017 06:16AM

wow..thats a pretty bold precition

PHDram209April 24, 2017 06:21AM

Yeah it may not be Williams

TonyHunter87212April 24, 2017 06:24AM

Re: Yeah it may not be Williams