Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: I have zero concerns with Wade and the new D

April 02, 2017 11:23AM
merlin
Just looking at his track record he seems to have that knack for teaching what he wants quickly. His first year is usually very good.

As much as I love McVay and his hiring, I have to admit he's an unknown in that respect. So I'm concerned about Goff, Tavon, Higbee, and Cooper. Goff needs to come in there and be able to spit it out in the huddle day one and hopefully have it down right out the gate. Tavon needs to understand he's not gonna have a Jeff Fisher 3 year window to learn a new offense. And the rooks from last year, sure would be nice for them to "get it" quickly and help raise the bar.

Strangely I'm not so concerned about the line. They need to get a good center prospect in here, but there is talent on this OL for Kromer to work with and he has a good resume.

actually, McVey has a pretty good track record when it come to teaching. I remember Chris Cooley said something like he learned more in his first three weeks with McVey then he did in his first three years in the NFL.

here is an excerpt from an article from 2014talking about McVey-

The Redskins' tight ends liked that McVay would know – and wouldn’t hesitate.

“There’s no indecision, ‘This is what we do; this is how we do it,’" Logan Paulsen said. “There’s no gray area in my life, which is fantastic. Making sure the player knows what he has to do puts us in a great position. ... You have certain coaches who don’t like when you ask questions. They don’t know the offense spot on.”

That’s why players would be happy if McVay is elevated to offensive coordinator for new coach Jay Gruden. Though Gruden said he will interview other candidates, McVay still is considered the likely new choice. He’s young, only 27, but he also has impressed players because of his knowledge of the offense. Gruden said he will call the plays, so that could make it easier for a young coach such as McVay to ease into an expanded role.

“His ability to digest a game plan and give it to his players in a streamlined manner allows us to digest us efficiently making sure to emphasize details that are important,” Paulsen said. “Every week he’d try to call plays without looking at the sheet. He knows what everyone has to do on the field. He approached it like an offensive coordinator. That’s advantageous to a player. He knows every detail the same way Kyle [Shanahan] used to know the details. He has that big-picture mindset that helps out.”

Former Redskins tight end Chris Cooley played one and a half seasons under McVay.

“He had the highest understanding of an offense of any position coach I’ve ever been around,” Cooley said. “We’d go back and forth in meetings on scheme, why and how. There was always an answer. I love that in a coach.

“Two years ago I said if anyone becomes a head coach on this staff it would be Sean McVay.”

Players at other positions echoed what Paulsen and Cooley said. The tight ends often worked with the linemen in practice because they needed to be in tandem with their blocking.

“The relationships he has with players and what he gets out of a player with both effort and production on the field by not being a screamer,” Redskins guard Kory Lichtensteiger said. “He’s a guy you can relate to. He has a lot of shared characteristics with hard-working players. Players can see if a guy knows what he’s talking about and he goes about it the right way getting that type of effort out of his players.”

[www.instagram.com]
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Rams begin off season workouts tomorrow

leafnose1056April 02, 2017 05:18AM

Re: Rams begin off season workouts tomorrow

Rams43350April 02, 2017 06:56AM

Re: Agree 43........

oldschoolramfan222April 03, 2017 09:25AM

merlin506April 02, 2017 09:31AM

Rams43359April 02, 2017 11:04AM

Rampage2K-344April 02, 2017 11:23AM

Re: That is "Music to my ears"..........

oldschoolramfan283April 03, 2017 09:27AM

Re: That is "Music to my ears"..........

Rampage2K-174April 05, 2017 09:09AM

Rams don't start till the 10th

IowaRam417April 02, 2017 02:17PM

Re: Odd isn't it?

leafnose300April 02, 2017 06:33PM

bigjimram21329April 02, 2017 06:54PM

zn383April 02, 2017 07:13PM

Re: per Kevin Demoff

merlin365April 02, 2017 08:29PM

Re: per Kevin Demoff