Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: my plan as of Jan. 4th if I'm GM...

January 04, 2017 09:03AM
LMU93
I would pencil in Saffold at LT for 2017. Trade Robinson for whatever you can get (6th or 7th?). When free agency opens you go sign the best free agent center or guard you can. Whichever you get you then target the best available C/G in the Draft at either 37 or 69. Brown and Havenstein the other starting OL. Wichmann and Barnes the top backups.

They have to live with Austin for 2017. I would let Britt (comp. pick in 2018) and Quick go and sign another FA WR (see Marvin Jones and Mohamed Sanu in 2016). The new coaching staff has to be able to elevate Cooper and Spruce into solid contributors.

I think I would also cut Kendricks. He regressed badly as the season went on and I don't like his "we need someone to motivate us" comments. Start Higbee in year 2 and add a solid blocking TE in free agency and give Harkey more reps.

Defensively, I release Eugene Sims ($3.2M salary) and draft a DE with their 2nd or 3rd round pick. Longacre and Fox compete for the last DE spot. Re-sign McDonald and Johnson. Re-sign Cam Thomas as the 4th DT and give Easley and Westbrooks 2nd or 3rd round RFA tenders.

Re-sign Zuerlein to a two-year deal. Re-sign Cunningham one year.

Subtractions:
Eugene Sims ($3.25M cap savings)
Robinson ($3.32M cap savings)
Kendricks ($4.25M cap savings)
Britt (take the 2018 late round comp. pick)
Rhaney ($700k cap savings- Barnes is the backup C)
$11.52M total cap savings

Free agency
C or G
WR
Blocking/2nd TE

Re-sign
McDonald
Johnson
Zuerlein
Thomas
Cunningham
Easley (RFA)
Westbrooks (RFA)

Draft
2nd/3rd rounds: C or G and DE
4th: CB, MLB or OT
5th-7th: BPA....

In 2018 you're looking at trading Austin, potentially releasing Quinn (if he doesn't stay healthy- $11.4M cap savings...) and drafting a LT in the 1st round and drafting DT depth as well.

That's a "real fine" post, 93. As usual.

I mostly agree, but I have just a few personal tweaks based on known info as of 1/4/17.

Overall, the new coaching staff might see things entirely differently, of course. And maybe the can make chicken salad out of what to me seems like... You know. Lol.

LOT is a conundrum. Saffold scares me there because of his health history, although that MIGHT now be cleared up after the 2 shoulder surgeries. I favor a FA acquisition for LOT. Saffold might be safer/best at OG.

I would keep GRob and put him on "prove it" status. Maybe the new coaches can flip his light switch. If his attitude is a "culture" problem, then offload him, by all means. It would make a helluva statement to the rest of the roster, that's for sure.

Kendricks, I'm ambivalent. I lean toward keeping him but letting him know he's on a very short leash. Would LOVE to see Higbee take that starting position away from him.

I would extend Britt if he would accept something in the $6 million range. He earned it this year and won me over in the process. We need his vet experience at WR. Goff and the other WR's are just kids right now.

Quick, I agree, is a goner. For reasons that seem obvious.

Yeah, we're stuck with Tavon. Maybe the new coaches can use him effectively for one year. I have my doubts, but who knows?

I think I favor FA for a C and OG, rather than 2nd or 3rd rounder in the draft. Experience, for one thing. Want those two top picks for DE, WR, or CB, all strengths in this draft.

I strongly suspect that the new DC might want to move Tree back outside, so a MLB via FA or draft might be a fairly high priority. Maybe REAL high.

I would renegotiate Quinn's contract downward. Hate to say it, but he's just not worth his salary, anymore. Not even close. If he balks, I would trade him. I'm serious.

The above involves considerable FA acquisitions, so Demoff's cap skills will be tested, that's for sure.

New faces as '17 starters at these positions in my crystal ball:

LOT
C
TE (hopefully Higbee)
WR (a FA or pick over Tavon)
RDE (FA or pick. Just can't count on Quinn, anymore)
LDE (Hayes becomes a backup, his best role. FA or a second DE draft pick to be the new starter)
MLB

Don't know if Demoff can find the money for all these suggested FA moves. And the new staff would have to make solid picks through at least the four picks through the 4th round. Maybe even the two 5th rounders. That's asking for a lot, I know. Probably too much. Going with solid and proven performers instead of swinging for the fences to reach for a possible HOF'er would increase the odds. And ignore any injury prone players, period. Shouldn't even be on the draft board until the 7th round.

A tall order, for sure. But if they can pull these moves off, AND hit a HR with their new HC, we're in business in '17.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

my plan as of Jan. 4th if I'm GM...

LMU93813January 04, 2017 04:54AM

Re: You better use a pencil...

laram376January 04, 2017 05:04AM

Re: You better use a pencil...Quinn?????

oldschoolramfan319January 04, 2017 05:35AM

Re: You better use a pencil...

ramBRO338January 04, 2017 06:42AM

tonyde297January 04, 2017 05:50AM

RamsFanSinceLA380January 04, 2017 06:34AM

dodgerram298January 04, 2017 07:47AM

LMU93271January 04, 2017 07:52AM