Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: I dunno

December 25, 2016 06:00AM
How long have you been back posting here?

I will admit, I haven't really looked at the board much the last few years. If I had known you were back, I would have taken a look sooner.

Do you ever hear from Nittany Ram anymore? Miss him too. And I assume you are still in touch with The Ewe?

Aries
~Sign of the Rams

wv_ewe posted on 2/19 4:22 pm Email this Message | Reply
Don’t take anything personally, 4 Agreements

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a delayed response to a some interesting threads from a couple days ago regarding personal attacks in posting. I wanted to reply then but I didn’t have a chance.

The personal nature of some of the attacks I’ve read on this board have amazed me. The attacker is invariably the person who ends up looking bad and petty.

A few weeks ago I read a book that dealt with this topic. The book, called “The Four Agreements” is a discussion of the wisdom of the ancient Toltecs of Mexico.

The author, Don Miguel, recommends four agreements that a person should make with himself. The second agreement is: Don’t take anything personally.

In Toltec wisdom, nothing that another person says or does to you is a reflection on you. Nothing. Even in the extreme. Each person’s point of view is based on his or her own previous programming. Each person is sort of trapped in his or her own dream world. No one else can know what you and your dream world are really like. To assume that someone does is to assign yourself too much personal importance.

Miguel’s view is this: Even if Nittany were to post the following, “Ewe are an ugly, insignificant cur who knows nothing about football. Go home and play with your dolls.” This has nothing to do with me. This has to do with the scrambled world that exists between the ears of the Nittany and nothing else. I shouldn’t take it personally because it’s not about me. It might be about Nittany’s feelings of rejection from his mother. It might be about the time he peed his pants in fifth grade and all the girls laughed at him. It might be about the time the Amish women’s team beat Penn State in flag football. But it has nothing to do with me, Ewe, so I shouldn’t take it personally. If I do take it personally it is because of my own selfishness.

The book also has some interesting ideas about the “mitote,” which is the fog in your mind where a thousand people talk at the same time… but I’ll save that discussion for another thread about WVRam.

There will always be personal attacks on this board because of the very wide range of posters and the significant differences in what individuals perceive as personal. It seems that the most successful way to diffuse another poster’s anger is with grace, humor and enlightened restraint.

Aries posted on 2/20 7:52 am Email this Message | Reply
1 dis-Agreement

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, within the context of this board, I think the 2nd agreement is especially important. For the most part, none of us really know each other well enough to take or make things personal.

But...

>>Miguel’s view is this: Even if Nittany were to post the following, “Ewe are an ugly, insignificant cur who knows nothing about football. Go home and play with your dolls.” This has nothing to do with me. This has to do with the scrambled world that exists between the ears of the Nittany and nothing else. I shouldn’t take it personally because it’s not about me. It might be about Nittany’s feelings of rejection from his mother. It might be about the time he peed his pants in fifth grade and all the girls laughed at him. It might be about the time the Amish women’s team beat Penn State in flag football. But it has nothing to do with me, Ewe, so I shouldn’t take it personally. If I do take it personally it is because of my own selfishness.<<

IMO, this goes a little too far. Sometimes we over react to things based on conditions that have little or nothing to do with the intention of the person who irritated us.

But other times, we react harshly because what they said/did deserved that reaction.

In other words, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Aries

wv_ewe posted on 2/20
Well I see where you're coming from

But I can also see where the 2nd agreement makes perfect sense in an idealistic kind of way.

You know who was the absolute king of the second agreement? Ronald Reagan. The man had an uncanny talent for diffusing blatant hostility. He just would not take things personally.

Aries posted on 2/20 10:50 am Email this Message | Reply
re: Well I see where you're coming from

>>But I can also see where the 2nd agreement makes perfect sense in an idealistic kind of way.<<

I agree. It's not totally wrong, it just goes too far if you take it in an absolute sense.

>>You know who was the absolute king of the second agreement? Ronald Reagan. The man had an uncanny talent for diffusing blatant hostility. He just would not take things personally.<<

It's not that he didn't take it personally... it's just that he didn't understand what they were talking about. That's why he kept Nancy around... to tell him when he was insulted.

I can relate... that's my wife's main responsibility.

(Just kidding... I'm a major Reagan fan.)

Aries

WV.Ram posted on 2/20 11:05 am Email this Message | Reply
We're getting Off Track here

Well I think itz all well and good to point out the weaknesses in any of ewe's posts. Frankly, I think we need to do a lot more of that.

But.

In this particular instance, I think we're losing focus. The real issue here is Nittany. Why does he pee his pants? That is the issue we need to focus on.

btw, I liked Reagan a lot too. Think he might have been an idiot though. I'm not sure.

wv

Aries posted on 2/20 11:18 am Email this Message | Reply
Did you know...?

Hey, WV...

Did you know that this is the first time that you've EVER replied to one of my posts?

Should I take that personally?

Should I be insulted? Where's my wife when I need her?!?

:-)

Aries

WV.Ram posted on 2/20 2:41 pm Email this Message | Reply
Hey Aries

Hey Aries, there's a reason why I hardly ever respond to your posts.

You see, your posts are so perfect and Complete in every way, that there is simply no need to graft on a response. I usually just sit here reading your posts in awe. Sometimes I lower my head and just whisper "amen".

If you'd post more on my areas of expertise, maybe I'd respond more, ya know.
Here's the short list: Urine, Women, Dogs, Prisons, Dr.Seuss, Cryogenics, the Outer Limits, snake-handling, JameJM's distorted view of the world, One-eyed-Stuffed-Animals-and-their-undeniable-link-to-paranormal-activity, mushroom-art, the Plot to Nudge Dick Vermeil.

...btw, I cant believe you have a wife. That mystifies me.
wv

Aries posted on 2/20 3:10 pm Email this Message | Reply
One of those point-by-point posts Zack hates.

>>Hey Aries, there's a reason why I hardly ever respond to your posts.<<

I just *knew* there had to be a reason. Otherwise it would have to have all been in my head. There's hardly ANY thing in there, so I figured that couldn't be it.

>>You see, your posts are so perfect and Complete in every way, that there is simply no need to graft on a response. I usually just sit here reading your posts in awe. Sometimes I lower my head and just whisper "amen".<<

Yup. That would have been my guess.

>>If you'd post more on my areas of expertise, maybe I'd respond more, ya know. Here's the short list: Urine, Women, Dogs, Prisons, Dr.Seuss, Cryogenics, the Outer Limits, snake-handling, JameJM's distorted view of the world, One-eyed-Stuffed-Animals-and-their-undeniable-link-to-paranormal-activity, mushroom-art, the Plot to Nudge Dick Vermeil.<<

There are only two things in that list that I know anything about at all. Urine and Dr. Seuss.

I'm not *even* getting into a discussion of urine with you... you are so obviously the definitive expert, I would just end up looking foolish.

I *did* write a Dr. Seuss style poem for my cousin once. I can probably quote it for you if you like, but you probably wouldn't think it was as funny as she did. And she didn't think it was funny at all.

>>...btw, I cant believe you have a wife. That mystifies me.<<

Most of the time, I think she kind of wonders how that happened, too.

Does the fact that you posted directly to me mean that you're stalking me now, instead of Zack?

I should have checked with Nittany Ram before I started this...

Did you know that I have never disagreed with anything Nittany has ever posted? Not ever... not once... never.

Aries

BTW... please notice the use of all the >><<'s

ZackNeruda posted on 2/20 3:48 pm Email this Message | Reply
actually, no

That was NOT one of the point-by-points I hate.

There have been others, though.

They usually go like this.

YOU: I just *knew* there had to be a reason.

ME: By definition that is not something that CAN be known. Isn't it just like you to claim to know the unknowable.

Besides, isn't ironic to see you, the master of the irrational, pretending to extol the virtues of "reason."

YOU: That would have been my guess.

ME: Which is it? One minute you claim to be the sultan of pure disinterested reason, now you are guessing.

Typical waffling.

Your sheer brazen immorality is appalling to all decent human beings.

YOU: I'm not *even* getting into a discussion of urine with you... you are so obviously the definitive expert, I would just end up looking foolish.

I *did* write a Dr. Seuss style poem for my cousin once. I can probably quote it for you if you like, but you probably wouldn't think it was as funny as she did. And she didn't think it was funny at all.

ME: Oh give me a break. More of your false humility schtick.

And BTW for your information, urine and Dr. Suess have nothing to do with one another. One can only begin to guess why you link them as issues.

If I had to choose between getting the plague and talking to you for 5 minutes, I would choose the plague. It's your sheer mind-numbing ability to do things like that...ie. arbitrarily linking completely unrelated issues...that make would make the plague the only possible choice I could make.

YOU: Most of the time, I think she kind of wonders how that happened, too.

ME: So WHO IS THE ONE THAT'S GUESSING? YOU OR YOUR WIFE? Make sense.

Waffle, waffle, waffle.

YOU: Does the fact that you posted directly to me mean that you're stalking me now, instead of Zack?

ME: I don't stalk people. In fact it's YOU who stalks people. And besides, there's nothing to say I can't stalk you both.

YOU: I should have checked with Nittany Ram before I started this...

Did you know that I have never disagreed with anything Nittany has ever posted? Not ever... not once... never.

ME: Oh now you're going to pretend like you agree with someone else? Yeah sure right like we are going to believe THAT. I have not seen arrogance like yours since my father.

I suppose now you're going to psychologize that remark about my father.

I wouldn't put it beneath you. In fact. Go ahead. I dare you. Do it. I want you you to. Show your true colors.

Basturd.......

Aries posted on 2/20 4:22 pm Email this Message | Reply
re: actually, no

Isn't Nantucket in Maine? I have a Dr. Seuss style poem about Nantucket, too.

Oh, no... wait. It's not Dr. Seuss style, but I can still quote it for you.

Oh, no... wait... I can't print it here.

Never mind.

Aries

Nittany_Ram posted on 2/20 3:35 pm Email this Message | Reply
re: One of those point-by-point posts Zack hates.

>>Did you know that I have never disagreed with anything Nittany has ever posted? Not ever... not once... never.<<

Hmmm...

You say that like it would be unusual for people to agree with every single thing I post.

I always assumed it was a given.

smiling smiley

Aries posted on 2/20 3:49 pm Email this Message | Reply
re: One of those point-by-point posts Zack hates.

Yeah, I know... it seems obvious.

But with WV Ram, you have to be very specific about even the most obvious of things.

You know how people are always telling all those lawyer jokes? Did you know that in reality, there is only ONE lawyer joke...

The rest of them are true stories.

Aries

WV.Ram posted on 2/20 6:31 pm Email this Message | Reply
amen (nm)

nm

Aries posted on 2/20 5:40 pm Email this Message | Reply
Zack... aaaaHA!!!!

Dr. Zeuss urinated when he was alive.

So... I gotcha! *There's* your connection!

(At lease, I'm pretty sure he did...)

Aries

StLewisRam posted on 2/20 7:00 pm Email this Message | Reply
re: Zack... aaaaHA!!!!

Aries,

By chance, did you mean Dr. Suess? Just wondering, because I think Dr. Zeuss (pron. Zay-us) was in the Planet of the Apes. Although, I'm sure he urinated at some time also.

St. Lewis Ram

Aries posted on 2/20 8:02 pm Email this Message | Reply
Yeds... I bent Dr. Suess.

I hab a head code. Dads why id zounded wrog.

Tagues for de correctiod,
Aries

WV.Ram posted on 2/20 6:37 pm Email this Message | Reply
amen

And I think Nittany Ram is in full agreement with you on this issue.

btw,I'm a Taurus. I was within a few days of being an Aries.(sigh)

...I bet yer not EVEN a real Aries, are ya.

Arent you glad I'm responding to you now. This is just the kind of insight I'll be giving you from now on.

wv

Aries posted on 2/20 8:14 pm Email this Message | Reply
re: amen

No. I'm not a real Aries. I was born Nov. 23, but I can't spell Saggita... Sagutta... Sagitery... See?

So I just tell people I'm an Aries.

I can spell Aries.

Aries
(See???)

theohall posted on 2/20 11:48 pm Email this Message | Reply
Just read Hey Aries/Dr. Seuss threads

and by far it was the funniest thing I've read all day.

Now it's time to go to sleep and hope to avoid Zack's argument clinic-like replies, images of Dr. Seuss urinating and other sundry matters.

BTW, doesn't everyone always agree with NittanyRam?

Aries posted on 2/21 6:14 am Email this Message | Reply
re: Just read Hey Aries/Dr. Seuss threads

I've always thought that WV Ram was the funniest poster on the board. We would make a great comedy team, but the first thing we'd have to do is figure out which one of us was going to be the straight man. It's probably not worth the effort.

But the important thing is that at least he's talking to me now.

Wouldn't you agree, Nittany?

Aries

WV.Ram posted on 2/21 7:46 am Email this Message | Reply
But I want to do SERIOUS roles

...but I want to be taken 'seriously' as a poster dammit. So from now on I intend to enthrall everyone with all my serious, profound FOOTBALL insight.

So, here goes.

On the Draft -- I say, the Rams need to pick some really good players. I mean, ya know, really good ones. Dont pick the bad ones. Avoid the bad players. Just pick really good ones. Thats the KEY.

On the Cap -- I say, the Rams should sign all the really good players and get rid of the ones that arent good. And they should make all the good players sign written contracts. So, you know, there's a record and stuff.

On Lovie's two deep scheme: I say they should put Six Defensive lineman in the game and drop 5 Dbs into coverage. I just dont see why that wouldnt work. I mean, the linebackers were the main weakness last year right? So, lets just GET RID of the LBs.

Ok, so I'll expect this to be Zined right away. I'm sure Nittany would agree with that.

wv

Aries posted on 2/21 7:52 am Email this Message | Reply
re: But I want to do SERIOUS roles

Well, I think maybe I'm possibly inclined to sort of agree with some parts of that...

...but I'm going to wait and see what Nittany says before I commit.

Aries

Nittany_Ram posted on 2/21 8:14 am Email this Message | Reply
You wanna know what I think?

I think I really like ham with parsely potatoes.

That's much better than green eggs and ham, IMO.

I mean, what was the heck was Suess thinking?

Green eggs and ham? Who the he## eats that?

Ham with parsley potatoes is definately the way to go.

Now, I like a good role too. If you want to eat some good roles, I recommend the ones Betty Crocker makes. They definately are "serious" roles.

They go well with ham and parsley potatoes too.

Hope that helps.

Aries posted on 2/21 8:23 am Email this Message | Edit | Reply
amen (nm)

:-)

Aries

>>>>>>>>>>>

Aries
~Sign of the Rams
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Goff looks bad, saying he's gonna be fine is BS.

max988December 24, 2016 04:39PM

Re: Goff looks bad, saying he's gonna be fine is BS.

Classicalwit467December 24, 2016 04:42PM

One man's opinion, mine...

JamesJM453December 24, 2016 04:52PM

probably not, but who knows...

max377December 24, 2016 05:30PM

vocabulary

zn405December 24, 2016 07:23PM

Re: vocabulary

dodgerram230December 25, 2016 03:27AM

Re: vocabulary

zn239December 25, 2016 03:50AM

INCOMPLETE...............

RamFanInPA373December 24, 2016 05:57PM

Another one???

RFIP300December 24, 2016 07:00PM

poplarbluffman250December 25, 2016 01:43AM

GreatRamNTheSky267December 25, 2016 03:00AM

No one

RFIP341December 25, 2016 03:07AM

No other choice than go with Goff

dodgerram255December 25, 2016 03:10AM

Agree

RFIP218December 25, 2016 05:26AM

Then you were not watching the game

GreatRamNTheSky460December 25, 2016 03:53AM

Re: Then you were not watching the game

zn266December 25, 2016 04:17AM

Re: Then you were not watching the game

Hazlet Hacksaw377December 25, 2016 04:34AM

I agree with you

LesBaker224December 25, 2016 05:01AM

How did Troy Aikman look

wv ram286December 25, 2016 05:50AM

Re: How did Troy Aikman look

RFIP245December 25, 2016 06:14AM

RFIP

wv ram217December 25, 2016 06:51AM

Re: RFIP

RFIP226December 25, 2016 07:16AM

BobCarl369December 25, 2016 06:00AM

still like Goff, but give Mannion the last game

dodgerram249December 25, 2016 03:19AM

Re: still like Goff, but give Mannion the last game

GreatRamNTheSky239December 25, 2016 03:53AM

I dunno

wv ram397December 25, 2016 03:57AM

Re: I dunno

Aries270December 25, 2016 06:00AM

Aries

wv ram217December 25, 2016 06:42AM