Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

This is really not that complicated IMO...

December 20, 2016 06:37AM
Demoff in his press conference admitted that it was not only a coaching failure but an organizational failure.

He admitted that they are evaluating the entire corporate structure. That they needed to get better in all areas of football operations.

Translation: We might discover through the process that we don't have the right people in the right positions.

I am convinced that they want to get it right and all options are on the table.

That means they are open to restructuring the organization and having more knowledgeable football minds in charge. .

Here are some points I gravitated to.

This is not just about the head coach or the coaching staff, we have to improve across the board – personnel to operations to everything - and it’s what we told the staff today. Unfortunately, today this is being discussed as Jeff Fisher, but collectively as the Rams, we need to get better moving forward – and that process really begins today.

I think, starting today, we’ll have a complete review of the entire organization. We sat down with Les and, again, this team is not where it needs to be and we need to own up to that from a coaching perspective, from a personnel perspective, from an administration perspective. I think all of us need to get better and I think Les will be the first person to tell you that his department can get better as well. And I think we need to analyze that department, the decisions that have been made, collectively, how we improve the roster and see where it goes. I’m sure when we bring in our prospective head coaching candidates, they’ll discuss the roster and the changes that need to be made there.

Today, unfortunately, Coach Fisher was the only decision that we made, but I think, collectively, we all need to figure out ways to improve. And I think as the analysis goes on as we get towards the end of the season and the beginning of the offseason, we’ll take a look, collectively, at the football operation and make sure that we make the changes to make this successful. I think it’s always a little bit easy to say that this is just the coach’s fault, I think that that’s always a mistake.

“It’s the same point as the head coach – I think, collectively, we need to take a look at this entire organization, and that includes personnel. I think it would be a mistake right now to say we’re satisfied with where we’re at on a personnel side and to ensure that Les would be back. I think Les would be the first person to stand up here and say the same thing – I think he told you guys that on Friday. I think the one thing, Jeff was always fantastic about standing up after games and saying, ‘I take full responsibility for the wins and losses for this organization.’ But I think we all need to do that. And I think Les will take responsibility for the won-loss record, I’ll take responsibility for the won-loss record, Jeff, obviously and hopefully Coach Fassel will moving forward. I think the most important thing for Les – our group’s in draft meetings now. They need to get that board ready, they need to carry out their duties. And we begin the organizational look, I think that’ll be the first place we’ll start. I think it would be a mistake to say that anybody in the building is guaranteed to come back next year, because now you’re starting to set criteria for where we’re at.”

“I think as we take a look at the organization over the next few weeks, you’ll start to get an idea of where you think you’re headed with the personnel staff. When we had the opening in 2012, we hired the head coach before the general manager. We had a great selection of general manager candidates, and that worked. This time, if you decide to make a move at general manager, you may choose a general manager first and a head coaching candidate second. I think it all depends on, as you go through the process over the next few weeks, the head coaching candidates you identify. If you decide to make a change at general manager, the general manager candidates that you identify and what you think the right order is. You can win lots of games under either formula. I think if you look, there are great examples of coaches who have been paired with GM’s and had success, and GM’s who hired coaches who had success. Both the good parts and the bad parts of going through this process in the NFL is there is no proven way to get it done. You can hire first-time head coaches, you can hire college coaches, you can hire coaches who have been fired before. You can point to any examples of ones who have had great success, or ones who have struggled. I think what’s most important is finding the right fit for this organization. If we decide that we’re going to move forward with the personnel department, you have to make sure you have a head coach and GM pairing that can work, and they’re on the same page. I think you’ll find out, as I said, a lot about our team and the way people view our organization when you go through the head coaching search, and how people view our personnel. I think we have always felt, collectively, that we’re pretty close as a football team. We haven’t gotten over the hump the past few years. We have to find a way to do that. Maybe we’re not as close as we think we are, and that’s what this next few weeks are designed to tackle. Maybe we are close, and the candidates will reflect that. I think what’s important is, when we come back and we present our football leadership overall that people believe that we’re headed in the right direction, and we’ve made the right choices.”

I think what we need to do is find the right person for this organization. A person who believes in Stan’s vision, who has the tools and resources to help us win, and someone we can build long-term around.

Best,
Laram
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

This is really not that complicated IMO...

laram867December 20, 2016 06:37AM

Re: This is really not that complicated IMO...

stlramz351December 20, 2016 06:42AM

And it can start with Demoff himself...

PaulButcher59356December 20, 2016 06:59AM

Re: Nuff said nm

Speed_Kills248December 20, 2016 07:17AM

"Rams are being meticulous/methodical rather than rushed."

tonyde238December 20, 2016 08:42AM

Re: This is really not that complicated IMO...

IowaRam402December 20, 2016 07:09AM