Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

An excellent "next HC" post by jrry32...

November 22, 2016 10:17AM
Here's jrry32...

It seems that the general consensus here is that we should move on from Jeff Fisher. I don't know what the Rams will do. Some will say that this thread is premature. You're entitled to that opinion. But this is a message board, so we might as well speculate. Here are the coaches that I'd consider leading candidates for the job along with my thoughts (in no order):
1. Anthony Lynn OC Buffalo Bills
Pros
Former NFL player who is reportedly incredibly respected by players in the locker-room
Diverse coaching tree (coached under Parcells, Del Rio, Ryan, Shanahan, and Crennel)
Highly successful position coach and successful thus far as an OC
Cons
No HC experience and very little OC experience
No clue what sort of staff he'd pull
My Outlook
I think he's a strong candidate for us because he's offensive-minded and should connect well with players. I have concerns about his lack of experience and ability to pull a top tier staff. However, he does have connections with a ton of different coaching trees, and he's done well it at every step of the way thus far as a coach.
2. Jim Bob Cooter OC Detroit Lions
Pros
Offensive-minded coach whose system looks amazing in Detroit
Experience as a player and a coach is with Quarterbacks (good for Goff)
Modern offensive scheme
Cons
Very young (32 years old)
No HC experience and very little OC experience
No clue what sort of staff he'd pull as he doesn't have a diverse coaching tree and is very young
My Outlook
Cooter has really taken the NFL by storm by helping Detroit to first place in the NFC North. He has Stafford playing at the highest level of his career, and his system looks highly effective. Cooter is a much easier sell here if he stuck with Gregg Williams, the defensive staff, and John Fassel (as well as his staff). That would alleviate my concerns about his ability to put together a staff.
3. Matt Patricia DC New England Patriots
Pros
Experience coaching both sides of the ball
Considered to be absolutely brilliant and has been successful as a coordinator
Seems highly energetic, well-liked by his players, and very enthusiastic about his job
Cons
No HC experience
Belichick's assistants have not fared well outside of New England
What sort of staff will he put together? (limited coaching tree)
My Outlook
Patricia is an interesting one. Hiring a Belichick assistant scares me, but Patricia is reportedly exceptionally brilliant. What makes him a rarity to me is that exceptionally brilliant coaches generally seem to be the types who don't connect well with players. From my observations, Patricia is very well-liked by the guys who play for him. He reminds me a lot of Mike Zimmer in the energy and passion he brings to games.
4. Todd Haley OC Pittsburgh Steelers
Pros
Has some success as a head coach and a lot of success as an OC
Runs a modern scheme that perfectly fits Goff's game
Comes from a very diverse coaching tree (should be able to put a good staff together)
Cons
Failed as a HC the first time; reportedly had issues with the players in the locker-room
Walked into a stable situation in Pittsburgh with a ton of offensive talent
He didn't play football in college or the pros
My Outlook
I like the scheme that Haley brings, and there's no doubt that he's a very bright offensive mind. I do have concerns about his ability to handle the locker-room. It was a struggle for him in Kansas City. He did have a playoff year in KC, but he also got fired. I'm on the fence with him. The most important thing for me with our next coaching hire is that the guys in the locker-room will play for and respect that coach.
5. Kyle Shanahan OC Atlanta Falcons
Pros
Long track record of success in a lot of different situations
Modern offense that would work well with the pieces we have
Should have the sufficient connections to create a great staff
Cons
A lot of rumors floating around that players don't like him
No HC experience
Young (36 years old)
My Outlook
If it were strictly Xs and Os, Shanahan would be #1 on my list because I think his scheme perfectly fits our offense. He's a brilliant coordinator. However, I'd avoid hiring him if the rumors are true. The rumors are that he's very arrogant and rubs players the wrong way. This led to players in Washington not liking him and players in Atlanta currently do not like him. I wouldn't want to take a chance on a coach who is not liked by players.
6. David Shaw HC Stanford University
Pros
He has 6 years of head coaching experience despite being only 44 years old
Successful head coach (62-17 record at Stanford)
Offensive-minded head coach who has shown the ability to adapt to his talent
Has experience in the NFL working under Jon Gruden and Brian Billick
Played in college for Bill Walsh and Dennis Green
Father coached in the NFL for over a decade
Cons
Has a lot of good reasons to remain at Stanford
Is a conservative game manager
Hasn't been able to win a national championship at the college level
My Outlook
Personally, I think David Shaw is our best option. However, I don't know that he wants to leave Stanford. What makes Shaw a strong option is that he runs a pro style offense that he adapts to his personnel, he has experience working in the NFL, he has a lot of connections in the NFL, and he's a successful head coach already at a young age. He does have a streak of Fisherness in him (tends to be very conservative with the lead), but his offensive philosophy isn't antiquated. I think he'd work well with the personnel we have.
7. Mike McCarthy HC Green Bay Packers
Pros
Offensive-minded HC with a Super Bowl ring
Known as one of the best QB developers in football
Modern offensive system
Can put together a strong staff
Not old for a coach who has 11 years experience and 100+ wins as a HC (53 years old)
Cons
Is being stubborn with his offensive system in Green Bay
Things seem to have gotten stale in Green Bay
Is a conservative game manager
Unlikely to be fired
My Outlook
Truth is that it's hard to argue with Mike McCarthy's track record. If he came available, I'd go all in on him. Unfortunately, I think he's highly unlikely to be fired despite what some rumors say.
You might notice that I didn't include a few names. I didn't include Josh McDaniels because I wouldn't consider him for the job. I think you have many of the same issues that you have with Kyle Shanahan (arrogance and disliked by players) without the track record of success in many different situations.(McDaniels has universally failed outside of NE)

I didn't include Jim Schwartz because he feels like much of the same with Fisher. Schwartz is a brilliant DC, but he was too similar of a HC to his mentor, Jeff Fisher. I think we need fresh blood who has a fresh offensive approach.

I didn't include a number of coaches who are retreads in my minds because they already got shots as HC and failed. Some of them failed multiple times. These coaches include Norv Turner, Wade Phillips, Rod Marinelli, John Fox, etc.

I also didn't include coaches who are either too old (ex. Tom Coughlin) or are retired (ex. Jon Gruden). Frankly, I'm just not interesting in trying to relive the past with guys like Bill Cowher, Jon Gruden, etc.

What do you guys think? Is there anyone I missed? Who would you like to see hired?(you don't have to agree with me...maybe you want Norv Turner or Jon Gruden; everybody's opinion is welcome)

I want to state at the outset: This is not a thread to rip Fisher in. We have enough of those already. Let's just focus on who we want moving forward. I know that we may not fire Fisher, but this is a forum. Half of the fun is speculating and playing armchair GM.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

An excellent "next HC" post by jrry32...

Rams431282November 22, 2016 10:17AM

Re: An excellent "next HC" post by jrry32...

poplarbluffman426November 22, 2016 10:32AM

One name he missed

BigGame81627November 22, 2016 10:38AM

Re: One name he missed...Another one as of today.

oldschoolramfan596November 22, 2016 11:03AM

Matt Patricia

six2stack383November 22, 2016 11:51AM

Re: Matt Patricia

Barf33402November 22, 2016 12:23PM

Kelly yells at his players all the time

NewMexicoRam449November 23, 2016 09:45AM

Barf33573November 22, 2016 12:21PM

Nice idea 33

RamsDynasty406November 22, 2016 12:28PM

Re: Nice idea 33

Barf33353November 22, 2016 12:35PM

Re: Intriguing

leafnose366November 22, 2016 04:38PM

So you want to hire an HC and tell him who is coordinator is?

promomasterj334November 22, 2016 01:00PM

Re: So you want to hire an HC and tell him who is coordinator is?

Barf33573November 22, 2016 01:04PM

Greg Williams had 2 stints a HC and was bad both times

promomasterj355November 22, 2016 04:01PM

Re: Greg Williams had 2 stints a HC and was bad both times

Barf33379November 23, 2016 07:31AM

Very good list. Agree with no retreads

promomasterj366November 22, 2016 12:58PM

Re: retreads:

leafnose414November 22, 2016 04:46PM

I would love Saban...

jemach314November 23, 2016 02:17PM

Re: I would love Saban...

leafnose308November 24, 2016 10:21AM

duck14485November 22, 2016 01:44PM

sfbayram733November 23, 2016 07:51AM

Lane Kiffen anyone?

RamsDynasty362November 23, 2016 01:08PM

Ken Zampese, OC for the Bengals...

Guard503November 23, 2016 02:54PM

Re: A dynamic entergetic coach is warranted

hammer324November 24, 2016 06:50PM