Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Just as important as head coach: GM

November 21, 2016 09:36AM
ferragamo79
Again, I'm not sure how much input Snead has had on drafts, but to really build an organization
you need a great HC and GM. I like some of the Snead trades, but the drafts, although better, have been so so

not a fan of the Hendricks and Austin extensions either and the free agents they have acquired have been pretty bad

A team is built in four areas: draft, free agency, trades, and contracts. That essentially boils down to player acquisition and contracts. The only categories that I know for SURE that Snead has large input in are the draft and trades.

I can’t grade him on free agency decisions and contracts. The fact that they’ve pursued a lot of Fisher’s former players tells me that Fisher is the primary director of the free agency ship. And contract decisions are probably a combo of Fisher, Snead, and Demoff.

That leaves the draft and trades by which we can make a fairly pure assessment of Snead.

On trades we have the Washington trade, the Barron trade, Bradford/Foles trade, the Goff trade, and the Foles dump trade. Personally, I had no issue with any of the trades. I thought the Washington and Barron trades were big wins from a value standpoint. The others were average and about what I would expect.

The draft has been debated over and over and I don’t feel like going into much depth. My overall feeling is that they have done a really good job drafting defensive players including picking up good UDFAs. They have been horrible in drafting offensive players. However, one huge caveat is the inept offensive (dual meaning pun intended) coaching. It appears to me that Fisher has the anti-Midas touch on offense.

It’s very telling that Fisher’s strong suit is coaching D, he has a very good D coordinator, and the talent looks good on that side with good results. OTOH, he’s very rarely produced good offenses in his career, has an inexperienced and unproven O coordinator, and the talent on that side of the ball looks awful.
My conclusion is that it’s not primarily the talent. It’s the coaching.

For that reason, it’s really hard to judge him on the draft. That said, going by the D “hits” alone, I think his success rate compares favorably to other teams across the league. If you notice, almost every defensive player drafted has been a contributor to the good defenses of the past two years. OTOH, GRob was a mighty swing and a miss.

If I had to give a grade, I would give Snead a B on the draft with GRob being the selection that brings the grade down. On the rest of the O players, I wonder how much is the lack of talent versus how much is the Fisher damper effect.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Just as important as head coach: GM

ferragamo79608November 21, 2016 07:44AM

Re: Just as important as head coach: GM

SoCalRAMatic381November 21, 2016 08:20AM

Snead has failed

Ram49341November 21, 2016 08:31AM

Re: Snead has failed

Rams43321November 21, 2016 08:41AM

again....didn't Demoff hire Fisher?

SunTzu_vs_Camus318November 21, 2016 03:04PM

it's called "clean house!" nm