Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Jared Goff

August 22, 2016 09:24AM
First, let me preface that I've been a Rams fan for 50 years. Started going to their games when I was 3 years old. Kept my season tix when they moved to Anaheim. Went to a few games a year in STL. Been with the team through thick and thin when most of my friends gave up and didn't care when they went to STL.

I have season tix again in the Coliseum. That is truly surreal. I now live about 2 hours away from LA and it is definitely more of a pain, traffic-wise, to go to the games.

My enthusiasm was at an all time high when we moved up to #1 and selected our QB. I agreed with the choice (Goff vs. Wentz) and was so looking forward to this historic season.

After 2 preseason games I've totally lost my enthusiasm for the season. I expected, and wanted, Goff to start. The way it appears now, Case is going to start Game 1. I am not disappointed in Goff's play. He hasn't lit the world on fire by any means, but hasn't been spectacular either. Case is a great guy, great teammate, but isn't what I would call a top-tier QB. In fact, he is a very good QB2. But Case is not someone who I can get excited about given his obvious physical limitations. That pass to Britt which led to the PI penalty was so badly under-thrown it was awful. Yes, they scored on the drive but how many times have we seen drives stall and kick a FG in that situation. If the pass was thrown where it needed to be it would have been a TD.

Looking at how both Goff and Case have played there are some striking differences which completely frustrate me:

1) Play calling for Case has been much better and has kept the opposing D guessing; while play calling for Goff has been much more predictable and easier to defend.
2) Other than a few plays, Goff's passes have been 15 yds or less and the opposing D is sitting on the routes.
3) Case has not been under any real pass rush pressure where Goff has been under duress. Mostly 2nd and 3rd string OL in combination with predictable play calling has contributed to Goff not looking all that good.
4) Goff isn't throwing to Austin or Britt. He's mostly throwing to Quick (who I absolutely loathe) and UDFA WRs (other than Higs who I love). There have been several drops by his WRs.
5) Case does look more comfortable and Jared more tentative. The cure is playing time.
6) You mean to tell me that they can't put a wristband on Goff and call in the play number? If that's an issue.
7) When the bullets start flying for real, Case will not look nearly as good as he does right now. We've seen him play. We've seen his arm. I guess that will be when Goff "is ready"

I will root for us to win every game like I have for 50 years.

I simply can't be excited or enthused with Case as our QB. I'm ready to sink or swim with Goff. I was willing to accept the rookie mistakes for the excitement of watching our new franchise QB. Unfortunately, it appears as though I will have to wait longer than I anticipated to get excited about this team.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Jared Goff

LARams17871August 22, 2016 09:24AM

Re: Jared Goff

AVRAMFAN358August 22, 2016 09:42AM

Rams43369August 22, 2016 09:43AM

dzrams333August 22, 2016 12:23PM

SoCalRAMatic417August 22, 2016 09:53AM

Did you watch Cardinals @ Chargers last week???

Rampage2K-431August 22, 2016 10:25AM

Agree, why don't they put in a package for Goff?

promomasterj373August 22, 2016 10:33AM

CeeZar396August 22, 2016 10:57AM

I have beena fan for 50 years as well

GreatRamNTheSky409August 22, 2016 11:21AM

Re: I have beena fan for 50 years as well

LARams17402August 22, 2016 11:31AM

Re: I have beena fan for 50 years as well

SoCalRAMatic356August 22, 2016 11:43AM

Superior arm talent isn't the issue right now.

RockRam361August 22, 2016 12:47PM