Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A few reflections after the Chief game...

August 21, 2016 06:50AM
A stream of consciousness thing here, so in no particular order.

Keenum will be our opening day QB. As Chuck Knox would have said, he's had a "real fine" camp and preseason. I, for one, am perfectly okay with it since Keenum gives us the best chance to win vs the Niners.

Goff is growing right before our eyes. It's just a matter of time, huh? He had a confidence building second half and it will pay dividends in shortening his development time. He is our future.

Gotta hand it to Fisher. He made two decisions that impressed me a great deal. He gave Goff significant snaps with the ones (if you count Quick as a one), and he left Goff in there the entire second half. Ballsy, but it sure paid off. I tip my hat to Fisher for both of these positive long term decisions.

Are we loaded at RB, or what? Love that corps at least 3 deep! And Green is no slouch. Was Green held out due to injury, btw? Maybe he'll get some snaps next game, 'cause we certainly know what we've got with Gurley and Cunningham. Lol. Green could make this team as both a 4th RB and as a ST player. Especially with Marquez injured.

Here's the elephant in the room. The WR corps. Specifically Brian Quick. WTF? I'm trying my best to be open minded, but let's just say that his "good practice plays" haven't exactly translated to the field in the 2 preseason games. Quite the contrary. He is NOT among our probable best 6 at WR and I don't think he ever will be. This was a make or break game for him and Fisher gave him tons of snaps (robbing other WR candidates in the process) and Quick failed. I doubt that Quick now makes the team, frankly.

Nice to see Cooper make one of his patented plays and score. Love to see more of them in the fall.

Are the Rams throwing enough passes to get a read on their WR corps? I mean, does anyone feel that they've seen enough opportunities for Williams, Thomas, McRoberts, North, etc? I sure don't. Hopefully, that will change in these last 2 games. Problem is, the cuts start right after the next game. I would hate to see critical WR cuts made 95% based on practices.

Hope Barnes stays healthy all year, because Kush is worrying me as a backup C. WTH? Just when I thought we were kinda set at backup C. Like Faulk said on the broadcast, it's up to Kush to adapt to Goff if he wants to make this team. Definitely not the other way around.

Our OL is coming along nicely. All three of our RB's looked very, very good against the Chief D. Especially knowing those were the Chief ones in the first half. I suspect that this OL will continue to improve, especially when Hav gets back. I foresee them imposing their will on a number of D's this year, TBH. Yeah, you could say that I'm bullish on this OL based upon the 2 preseason games.

Higbee was missed as a receiving weapon. Hopefully, he can get back soon to develop chemistry with Keenum and Goff.

So many candidates on our front four beyond the obvious starters, huh? Some tough depth decisions coming up there. Don't envy the coaches having to make some very difficult cuts. How does one cut Longacre, for example?

Let me just say that I'm not brimming with confidence regarding our LB corps. I know, Barron was out and GW isn't really scheming, but still... Or is it just me? They got the starters out quickly to take a long look at the youngsters, I get that. But where were the flashes? Should I be worried?

Is Sensabaugh maybe our 8th best CB? I'm semi serious here. Hill, Jordan, and Washington just keep making plays in these preseason games. Gaines looked good when he got in. Heck, he had 3 tackles before I could almost blink my eyes. TruJo, Gaines, and Joyner are the probable starters, and Roberson ain't going anywhere. That leaves some excruciating cuts for that 5th spot. If it were up to me, I would roll with one of the youngsters and release Sensabaugh. Maybe another youngster makes it to the PS?

Cody Davis started at S and Mo was held out. Was Mo injured, or was GW determined to focus on depth decisions. Bryant was noticed on my TV screen making a few plays, but I can't say that I noticed much from Davis. Then again, I've only watched the game once.

If I had to pick just one aspect as my most pleasing in this game? It would be a tough call, but the development of our OL would probably be it. They are coming along, fellas. Big Time.

So, what did I miss?

Comments vey welcome...
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

A few reflections after the Chief game...

Rams431112August 21, 2016 06:50AM

Is Barron playing?????

ferragamo79509August 21, 2016 07:19AM

Re: Is Barron playing?????

MamaRAMa486August 21, 2016 07:31AM

Re: A few reflections after the Chief game...

leafnose440August 21, 2016 07:21AM

Good Post Ram43

droopy486August 21, 2016 07:23AM

Agree on Keenum

AlbaNY_Ram496August 21, 2016 08:24AM

No way Goff starts the season

Hazlet Hacksaw435August 21, 2016 09:10AM

Seau

waterfield491August 21, 2016 09:29AM

Re: A few reflections after the Chief game...

Blue and Gold421August 21, 2016 09:45AM