Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Training Camp Day One

July 30, 2016 09:42PM
First day of training camp open to the public. There was a great turn out by the public. NBC reported that the attendance for day one was 10,000 fans. The weather was around 90 degrees with a slight breeze. I forgot my camera, but am planning on going either tomorrow or Tuesday. I will get pictures next time I go. As practice started, chants of LA RAMS would break out in certain sections. Chase Reynolds was already shagging punts when I arrived before practice. He occasionally ran close to the stands to big cheers. Here are my thoughts by position from what I observed. No pads today--Lets start with what we are all anxious about.

Qbs

Goff- positives
Goff looked like a first pick of the draft in individual drills. I wish it would have carried over to scrimmage.

First day of practice excuse-
It was very different once 7 on 7 started. Here is a short summary of his performance. He looked for the check down 90% of the time. I am hoping he was just building confidence. The one time he threw a post over the middle, it was picked - Big groan from the crowd followed by numerous "It is only the first day". During 11 on 11, it was not smooth. There were two bad snaps in shotgun (not Goff's fault). There was also a fumble under center (possibly Goff's fault). During 11 on 11, he continued to throw short. I am not sure he ever looked down field. Possible coach was telling him to look short. When they went back to 7 on 7 later in practice, Goff continued to throw short. Db began sitting on short routes and picked off Goff a second time.

As for Keenum- He looked like he did at the end of last year. He was efficient except for two passes that were batted down at line of scrimmage. He threw mainly short to medium passes. Second play of 7 on 7 he had Tavon open on a streak along the sideline. He over threw him. Keenum ran the first team, Goff was second team with occasional first team snaps. So who impressed today---- I would say Mannion. He got very few opportunities compared to Goff and Keenum. He made two great throws down the field today. Of course he was going against 2's or 3's, but made a good corner route throw and another up the crease for good gains.

Rbs

Gurley looked ready to start the season. Even without pads, he was fast, explosive, powerful, and changed direction effortlessly. Cunningham looked good as well.

Wrs

Hard to tell since the majority of throws were check downs to backs and TE. I will share more on them next time.

TE

Kendricks made a good catch going to the ground. Looks like he is ready to be number one. He better be looking over his shoulder for Tyler Higbee. He is big, fast, and has good hands. Looks like this may be a great draft pick.

OL

Hard to tell without pads. I did notice that Saffold was at RT.

Eric Kush was C on second team and had two bad snaps.

DEFENSE

DL

Hard to tell without pads, but looks to be the dominant force on this team again. I was pleasantly surprised to see Robert Quinn working out in individual drills. There has not been a lot of info about his recovery. He looked to bend well in drills with other DL. He did not look to be in pain at all. He did not participate in 11 on 11.

LBs

All seemed quick to the ball on short passes and check downs. 7 on 7 and 11 on 11 seemed to go quickly. Defense kept everything in front of them, got good pressure on qbs numerous times. I will concentrate on Ogletree more next time I go.

Dbs

Trumaine carries himself like a guy making 13 mil. He is very confident in how he carries himself. Not much thrown at him from what I could see. Dbs kept everything in front of them. Only gave up a seam pass for a decent gain. Cody Davis got one of the int. off of Goff. I could not make out who got the other int.

I will try to post more as I go to practices over this first week.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Training Camp Day One

Ramsfan19711218July 30, 2016 09:42PM

thank you

RustyRay531July 30, 2016 10:50PM

Re: Training Camp Day One

73Ram547July 31, 2016 02:56AM

AlbaNY_Ram542July 31, 2016 04:11AM

Rams43462July 31, 2016 06:02AM

Re: how enjoyable