Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Blinkscout Combine TE analysis

March 07, 2023 07:27AM
This was the best group of TEs I've seen at a combine. they pretty much got everyone here, few guys were dinged up but they put on a show regardless.

One thing that's going to be hard to discern is where these guys end up going. How many teams want to jump on a TE early? How many are willing to wait because of the overall quality? How many of these guys could be pro bowlers or game changers? Seems like a lot.

Davis Allen, Clemson So ... good burst numbers and a pedestrian 40. Solid tape. I've seen him rated in the top 50. He could last to the 6th round also.

Payne Durham, Purdue Really happy that he didn't put on a show. Pedestrian 40 at 4.87 ... but a 1.61 split. 35 vert. Then really smooth drills. So he's been a target for me all year because of how he gets open in the middle of the field and then turns into a battering ram. I think we might remember his fade TD where he got ihis helmet knocked off at the Senior Bowl, too. He's likely a high 3rd round talent that could last until the 5th. Also note his long arms.

Noah Gindorff, North Dakota State Gonna have to go watch highlights, he didn't work out. I think Deadpool has seen him ...

Dalton Kincaid, Utah Didn't work out ... injury. But he's a mismatch all day. They have him anywhere from 10-25. Seems right.

Tucker Kraft, South Dakota State I watched his highlights earlier ... smooth, solid 40. Really natural pass catcher with great testing in every sector ... specifically agilty ... 3 cone and short shuttle. 23 reps ... I'm having a hard time seeing him get out of the second. And that's kinda the money spot for some of these guys, the big question is "How many get drafted in round 2. 3-4 inround 1, but then how many are at that next level?

Zack Kuntz, Old Dominion Small school giant who jumped out of the building and had good but not great drills. I did NOT expect him to test that well. I scouted him more last year. But his 40 (4.55) 3 cone (6.87) and Vert (40!) were all nuts. I'm not in love with the tape, so where does he go?

Sam LaPorta, Iowa This has been my guy along with Payne Durham all year, and he did me dirty by jumping out of the building and THEN having the best smoothest drills of anyone. Moreso than Mayer, who was second IMO. 4.59 40 ... 6.91 3 cone. 4.25 SS. Those are CB #s for the best CBs. I'd love to be able to trade back a few slots and take him in the second. Can't see him getting to round 3.

Cameron Latu, Alabama Injury, didn't work out. Likely hurt him in this class. Especially since his tape is smooth. A guy that may slide ... and I'm willing to take 2 TEs in this class.

Will Mallory, Miami Guy who was overlooked this year that I didn't give up on, who also tested so well that he may have pushed himself into the top 100 ... Drills were great. Timed great at 4.54. I'd love to target him for the 4th or 5th ... Just don't know if it'll happen now.

Michael Mayer, Notre Dame This is my top TE. I like guys that can come right in and play at a high level. At this position that's rare, but he can. Decent 40. Drove Fred the sled like a pro. Smooth field drills (slipped a coupe times) and natural hands. He may slide because people will see that he may have a limited athletic ceiling. I think they're making a mistake.

Luke Musgrave, Oregon State He was "supposed to" run the best 40. He had the best 10 yard, and he may have a lingering knee thing. I think he only did a few of the drills. They're talking about him maybe sneaking into the first and being top 40 ... I don't see separation from Laporta, Kraft, Mallory .... and he doesn't have the same tape and production those guys do (except Mallory).

Kyle Patterson, Air Force No workout, need to watch highlights.

Luke Schoonmaker, Michigan He tested much better than I thought. Strength and burst, solid 40, then I think he bailed early on the drills ... but now is on my board for a late look.

Brenton Strange, Penn State I've always liked this kid, feisty ... a tad smaller at a shade under 6-4 and low 240s ... which in any normal class would be average. His field work was spectacular and fast. He made a lot of money with that I think. No idea where he'll go now.

Leonard Taylor, Cincinnati The blocker of the two Cinci TEs ... but still had a decent on field W/O catching the ball. I'd love him as a UDFA.

Travis Vokolek, Nebraska Not so hot on him, but he looks lke your average 2nd or 3rd TE that can catch is needed and will get dirty on the goalline.

Darnell Washington, Georgia So, couple things here. I do not want a project, so he's not on my board. But also because that project is likely a first round pick. His hands are okay, and he's still learning so I'm not faulting him ... but his blocking on the sled? I've never seen that before ... he just calmly walked up and drove it with 3 slow steps about 8 yards with long strides. Dang.

Blake Whiteheart, Wake Forest So even at the bottom of the class you have plus athletes and great drills. Totally a late target that could develop.

Josh Whyle, Cincinnati I think he needs a year as a backup but he's a pro TE. 4.69 40 at 6.6 248. Has short arms that hurt a little. 5th round? 6th? No idea. Drills were solid.

Brayden Willis, Oklahoma This is your H Back ... really smooth in the slot or out of the backfield and can carry the ball if needed. Caught a lot of TDs.

So again, no ideas where these guys go, but it's time to reload at that position so we're taking someone. Italicized are my preferences because I like the way they run with the ball.

Questions and comments welcome.

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Blinkscout Combine TE analysis

alyoshamucci410March 07, 2023 07:27AM

Acquiring a stud TE from this draft is my secret desire…

Rams43108March 07, 2023 07:52AM

Re: Acquiring a stud TE from this draft is my secret desire…

Old Goat107March 07, 2023 08:13AM

TE coaching just might be a factor here…

Rams43102March 07, 2023 08:19AM

LaPorta and Mayer

LMU93105March 07, 2023 08:42AM

Re: Blinkscout Combine TE analysis

Deadpool152March 07, 2023 11:09AM

Re: Cannot thank both of you enough

RamsFanSince69111March 07, 2023 12:56PM

Alyo does the heavy lifting, I just piggyback to keep everything in 1 thread

Deadpool94March 07, 2023 12:57PM

merlin96March 07, 2023 07:05PM

David Deacon111March 08, 2023 03:31AM

@Deacon

alyoshamucci93March 08, 2023 05:08AM

I'm a big proponent of running more 12 personnel...

LMU9378March 08, 2023 05:37AM

Re: I'm a big proponent of running more 12 personnel...

Rams4382March 08, 2023 06:42AM

Hopkins

LMU9397March 08, 2023 08:06AM

Jourdan mocked TE Tucker Kraft to us

LMU93144March 08, 2023 11:04AM

Re: Jourdan mocked TE Tucker Kraft to us

alyoshamucci120March 08, 2023 12:25PM