Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Oldnotdead with some interesting thoughts on possible Ram draft strategy reasoning...

April 05, 2021 02:53PM
Here’s oldnotdead...

This is a prime example of 20/20 hindsight. I have no problems with Snead's handling of the roster or cap. I could see the logic in his moves and still do. His job is to build and maintain a SB level roster. He's been doing a pretty damn good job of that. Most teams basically stop drafting after the 5th round, but Snead still has targeted players all the way into the priority UDFA.

For every 1st round O-line player taken, there are far and away more busts. The jump from college to the NFL is huge for o-line, in terms of the speed of the game, the strength of the opposition, and the emphasis upon technique. People denigrated this o-line yet they have proven far better than most expected.

Noteboom is a solid OT who is still learning and developing. The same can be said of Edwards who has been playing out of position at OG. Evans who was practiced and coached up as an OT under Kromer has played very well at the position which is his best fit, i.e. OG.
With Noteboom and Edwards, they have their long-term OTs. The same can be said with Evans and Corbett. Allen and Shelton are clear upgrades to Blythe.

Only the media seems to think there is a hole at ILB. But these media guys have PROVEN they don't watch or understand the positions and scheme. So who are they to pass judgment? At MIKE the Rams have two young vets in Kiser and Reeder. At RILB they have two young vets in Young and Howard. This position is only a part-time position. Young played only 46% of the snaps because he was pulled to bring in the nickel DB. A 4 of these LBs have shown enough to warrant continued development. Will they draft an ILB? Perhaps but IMO it is not a position of priority so mid to late round seems most likely. IMO they expect Moncrief and Rozeboom to step up and prove themselves.

If the Rams take an LB it will probably be an edge to play OLB. But if Lewis can finally stay healthy he's a perfect match to bookend Floyd. I also still say Jonah Williams could very well get into this mix.

IMO their second round pick will probably be a SCB which is really the only open position, though they can shift Ramsey there, slide Williams to the opposite boundary and play Long at RCB. This could be a make or break year for Long so I can see Snead backstopping the position in this draft. I also see them taking a FB probably in the mid to late rounds. They also need a LS so I can see them taking one in this draft. But overall I still contend this roster is set and the draft will be more about depth and future starters.

Guys like Hoecht, J. Williams, Rozeboom, and Moncrief will be expected to step up to be game day rotational players.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Oldnotdead with some interesting thoughts on possible Ram draft strategy reasoning...

Rams43583April 05, 2021 02:53PM

FWIW, I differ with oldnotdead on at least one point...

Rams43379April 05, 2021 02:55PM

Re: FWIW, I differ with oldnotdead on at least one point...

BC Ramsfan309April 05, 2021 08:03PM

Some Leoram thoughts...

Rams43347April 05, 2021 03:03PM

Re: Oldnotdead with some interesting thoughts on possible Ram draft strategy reasoning...

chico n da rams236April 05, 2021 03:06PM

Re: Oldnotdead with some interesting thoughts on possible Ram draft strategy reasoning...

Rams43247April 05, 2021 03:16PM

chico n da rams231April 05, 2021 03:32PM

Rams43248April 05, 2021 03:59PM

3030341April 05, 2021 05:51PM

Hram235April 05, 2021 07:02PM

Steve168April 05, 2021 10:51PM

welll...on the OL, ILB, CB

LMU93269April 06, 2021 04:39AM