Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Los Angeles Rams Transcripts - October 29, 2020 Head Coach Sean McVay, Offensive Coordinator Kevin O'Connell, and DL Aaron Donald

October 29, 2020 01:45PM
Los Angeles Rams Transcripts -
October 29, 2020

Head Coach Sean McVay, Offensive Coordinator Kevin O'Connell, and DL Aaron Donald

Head Coach Sean McVay

(On the goals the offense has achieved since preseason)
“I mean the goal is to win games and however we do that as a team. I think the guys have done a nice job. I think there's been spurts where we've been pretty good and then there's been others where we want to sustain a little bit higher level of consistency, but I think our ability to run it or throw it has been very beneficial. I've been really happy with our upfront play and really our efficiency in the run game. I think we've run the ball efficiently. I think we want to continue to find ways to create explosives, whether that be through the run or the pass, but ultimately, it's about winning as a team. I think we're figuring out the best way to be able to do that and put all three phases together. In a lot of instances, you know like the other night, I thought our guys did a good job through those three quarters, and then we talked about just being able to finish and sustain drives in the four-minute (offense). But the approach was different than it would be in a game where it's a one possession game and things like that. So, I think they've done a nice job overall and there's always room for improvement for sure.”

(On if he planned on running the ball more this season)
“That's a team thing. I mean that's because we're playing with leads and our defense is playing so well. It's not exclusive to what the offense does. So, in a lot of these games, you're in four-minute mode a little bit earlier than four minutes left in the game because you have a lead. Whether it be Washington or the other night and I think that's a team thing. So, I think the numbers, as far as rushing stats, all that stuff can get very skewed, if you play well as a team and you're playing with a lead, you're always going to run the football a little bit more because you're trying to run the clock out at the end of the game. But ultimately when you're in your kind of normal mode of operating, offensively, you do want to maintain a level of balance, but not at the expense of if they're just totally teeing off on one phase or the other. So, it's about moving the ball and scoring points. I think those rushing numbers are a reflection of the team and I think particularly our defense being able to play so well and us be able to get some leads and in a handful of these games.”

(On how will OL Joe Noteboom returning from IR affect OL David Edwards)
“It will remain like it is right now. (OL) Joe (Noteboom) is a great player. we feel really good about him. But (OL) David (Edwards) is playing at a pretty high level and we're going to keep that continuity.”

(On is he having fun this season despite all the challenges of COVID-19)
“Yeah, I really am. I'm enjoying this team. I really love this coaching staff. The things that have come with this season have definitely been different, to say the least, but in terms of the personalities, what this team entails, I really enjoy working with this team. We have a lot of young players, but we have some great veteran leadership as well. So, there's a lot of things that have turned over this year, which you guys obviously know a lot about. But I think as we're getting familiar with, ‘All right, what is the identity of this team?’ It's been fun, it's been exciting, and I think that's where we're kind of growing collectively and figuring out each week, what's the best way to put all three phases together? Who are the guys we can lean on? What is the personality of this football team that comes from our players’ leadership? And I really am having fun and want to be able to have some more fun and get to our sixth win against a very tough opponent this week.”

(On what is the difference in coaching a young team)
“I don't necessarily know if it's as much the age or just some new faces and kind of just continuing to identify what's the best way to suit things to our players’ strengths. I think it's really just every single year is a new year, you're learning about yourself, you're learning about your team, but I also think, and I've talked to you guys about it before, not letting the expectations sometimes get in the way of the enjoyment. We were so fortunate early on to have some success and then you end up being able to win a conference and you can almost let the expectations get in the way of your enjoyment. I've talked to my grandpa about this, a win is like a sigh of relief and a loss is like you feel like a part of you is dying. As soon as you get to that point, I don't think that's healthy, I don't think that's sustainable. I think I'm a much better coach and probably more pleasurable to be around when I'm enjoying it. I think that's reflected in our team and they're making it a lot easier for me to enjoy because of the people, most importantly.”

(On how challenging it is to make a good defense go from good to great)
“I think a lot of these stats really skew what's real and what isn't. I think it's about playing the best in the crunch-time moments, the ‘got to have it situations.’ How much are you turning the ball over? What kind of points are you giving up? You know, you look at the game the other night, you see 10 points given up. Well, that's not true. Our defense only gave up three points because one of those touchdowns was from the offense. So, I genuinely believe that the stats can give you a little bit of what's going on, but the tape reveals the truth. The tape is where you can find the truth snap in and snap out in a lot of those things – I could go on and on, but I think ultimately, how much are you turning the ball over, in terms of getting it back to the offense? How much are you limiting people's ability to score points? And then in those crunch-time moments – talking about end of the game, two-minute, end of the half two minutes. You know, when you have to have a stop against the Giants a couple of weeks ago and (Ccool smiley Darious Williams makes a pick, when you have to have a stop against Dallas in Week 1 and we ended up forcing that stop or we get stop by (S Jordan) Fuller on fourth-and-two, those are the things to me that make great defenses. I think we've had really good defenses consistently since I've been here, but I think these guys are playing at a really high level and it's fun to see. I think their confidence has grown because they know they're playing well.”

(On is it normal to watch college film in Week 8)
“I think you probably at least have a little bit of pre-season film to go off of if it was a normal season where I would imagine they would have gotten him some of that work, even if they knew they wanted to have Dolphins (QB Ryan) Fitzpatrick start the season, but this year has definitely been different. It is kind of similar in some instances to where a couple of weeks ago you're looking at (Washington Qcool smiley Kyle Allen from Carolina when they decided to start him. So it's similar, but you're watching Alabama film and now you're saying, ‘Okay, these are the things that this guy has as a skillset and what are the things that (Dolphins Offensive Coordinator) Coach (Chan) Gailey might activate within the framework of their system, offensively with the Dolphins, from what he might've done at Alabama under (Alabama Offensive Coordinator) Coach (Steve) Sarkisian.”

(On what’s been key to succeeding while traveling east)
“It's the guys’ ability to handle it. I think we've been able to keep a consistent rhythm throughout the week and I think there is something to be said for being able to say, ‘All right, you get there, you have a dinner, you get some rest, you get up and you go play.’ You know, you're not waiting around. Sometimes that lag time is where I think you almost wear yourself out, when you're just hanging around all day. You get there Friday night, you're hanging out all day Saturday, and then you kind of get up Sunday and then you go. Whereas we get in Saturday evening, quick little meal, quick little team meeting, get up and go. I think the guys like that. It's the most efficient way of utilizing our time and our travel has been really convenient.”

(On his thoughts about the Miami Defense)
“They do a great job. They’ve got playmakers all over. You look at their two corners, they're outstanding. They have safeties in (Eric) Rowe and (Bobby) McCain that have played a lot of good football. I remember when I was coaching in Washington and Rowe was starting at corner for Philly. There's great athleticism and then they're in a great system. (Dolphins Head) Coach (Brian) Flores is an excellent defensive coach as is (Dolphins Defensive Coordinator) Coach (Josh) Boyer. These guys present a lot of different issues. They’re mixing up their coverage contours, but then they also know what kind of athleticism they have and they play a lot of man, they come up and challenge you, and they do a variety of things up front to cause disruption, where the ball is coming out, but they've also have great guys that can hang in man coverage and continue to compete. So, they've played really well as of late. I think that's where we have to be ready to go. You flip the film on and a lot of problems. You see a really disruptive defense and one that's played outstanding, especially each of the last couple of weeks against the Jets and 49ers coming off a bye.”

(On how concerned he is with run-pass options with Dolphins QB Tua Tagovailoa)
“Well, it's something that you definitely have to be prepared for. It is something that these guys do, they were even doing it with Fitzpatrick. It's something that is a real strength of (Dolphins Qcool smiley Tua’s (Tagovailoa) and it's something that we'll practice, we'll prepare for, and we'll hope to defend it to the best of our ability. That's definitely a focal point for the week.”

Offensive Coordinator Kevin O'Connell

(On if he’s surprised about how the season has unfolded so far)
“No, I don't think anything's really surprised me. Our process has been a really good week in and week out as a staff. I think we get a lot done in our preparation. We put a lot on their plates and we got the right kind of guys all across our offense that really do a great job taking the preparation and the practice performance to the games on Sunday. Obviously, I think the one thing we're always hunting, it's just being consistent as possible and how we want to execute. That's us as coaches, the players across the board, just understanding what the plan is. For me personally, how to continue to convey that message to the quarterbacks in our offense that what (Head) Coach (Sean) McVay wants us to get accomplished for that particular game. That's week in and week out versus every opponent.”

(On the approach to the running game this season)
“I think every offense in this league wants to be able to run the football and then have the rest of their offense kind of sprout out from there. Our identity, really coming into the season, we really wanted to really focus on running the football incredibly efficient, staying efficient on early downs, which would then lead the whole offense being at Coach McVay's disposal when he's calling it. So, I think as a whole, we've been able to do that. Establishing the run early on and football games with versatility in our scheme. Running backs, receivers, everybody being involved in the run plan. Then I always go back to those guys up front. I think the O-line has played really physical. I think they've done a really good job kind of growing together as a unit. The tight ends on the edges have been huge for us, planning and some really good edge players that we have this year. How people are trying to defend us a little bit, and then all of our running backs have really done some really good things when we're putting the ball in their hands. So, I think it all starts with that. It was definitely a point of emphasis. It's great when the things that you emphasize as coaches starts to show up on the grass.”

(On how QB Jared Goff has played to this point in the season)
“I think as far as kind of taking a look at it as a whole, that's what next week will be for. We're still in that mode. We're in preparation mode, in a little bit of a short week. So, time is kind of the essence of making sure that we're locking in on the details and the different aspects of the plan for this week. But, I’ll have much better feel kind of going back taking a big picture view at the midway point next week. I've been really happy with this preparation, the points of emphasis that we put specifically on him to show some growth from his first three years playing in this offense. He's done that. I think we're always on the hunt for consistency, all of us in this building, coaches included, and (Qcool smiley Jared's (Goff) right there with us just trying to give our offense the best possible chance for success by doing his job each and every snap.”

(On his thoughts of Miami QB Tua Tagovailoa)
“I missed him at the one year I did the Elite 11 stuff, but always been a fan of his. Obviously, one of the top recruits in the country, goes to Alabama has all the success that he had there. It looks like it's already translating early on in the NFL. Always thought he's been as pure of a passer – the ball coming out. You can tell there's a lot of torque to his motion, a lot of power behind that kind of compact motion that he has, he is really fundamentally sound. Always kind of felt from early on, even in his college days that he could make some plays off schedule and he was a threat when he got out on the perimeter against the defense to really extend the play and give his receivers chances to work for him. So obviously, that's going to be something that he'll probably continue to do now that he's given a chance to play full time. I've always been impressed with not only the player, but the person and just seems his teammates really seems to respond to him and I'm sure he’s excited about the opportunity this weekend.”

(On the approach to prepare a rookie QB for his first start)
“I think it's all about how you put together the plan and present that information to the quarterback. I got news for you. I mean, whether you're a rookie quarterback or you're in your 15th, 16th year, you still want to be told the plan, you want to have a great feel for it, for what the intent of plays are. What the emphasis are, what things you want to attack, things you need to make sure you're aware of. All the coaching points, no matter who the player is at the quarterback position. I don't really think that changes. I always tried to focus on the important details that our guy needed to go out there and have success. But then also, the big picture of complimentary football, taking care of football, understanding our role in that process and just continuing to be a positive force in that huddle for the whole group.”

(On what it takes to run a good four-minute offense)
“I think that's the ultimate ‘impose your will’ time for an offense. I mean, the defense knows you're going to run it. They know you're trying to control the clock. So, for you to be able to line up and run core plays versus some loaded fronts, it takes guys really having the ability to move people off the line of scrimmage and kind of bring that physicality. Then, I think as far as when your receivers come into play, and we happen to have some of the best in the league on the perimeter, in the run game, blocking for our backs, and then the finish of the running backs, understanding obviously situationally, we want to stay in bounds. But, it's about churning out as much yards as you can and maybe splitting two, running through arm tackles, whatever it is, because every yard does matter in that situation. So, there's a lot that goes into it, but put simply it's about imposing your will on a defense when they know you're going to run the football.”

(On OL Andrew Whitworth)
“I think he's having a great year. But it's not surprising just watching the way he works and really has worked since day one training camp, such a leader in that room. We've got such great leadership on offense led by him. I think he does a great job setting the tone for all those young players that not only in that offensive line room, but all over our whole entire team because of his standard at which he operates every single day, his process leading up to game day. It’s really impressive to watch him go about it and you can very easily see why he's had such sustained success in this league.”

(On the difference in the offensive line performance this season)
“Well, I think first and foremost, you’ve got to give (Run Game Coordinator/Offensive Line) Coach (Aaron) Kromer, (Assistant Offensive Line Coach) Andy Dickerson, (Offensive Quality Control) Zach Kromer, all those guys credit, they've put together an incredible process for those guys up front. Coach McVay and Coach Kromer putting together the run game each and every week. I'm always so impressed with the plan that gives those guys clear-cut objectives to try to get our run game going each and every week. It changes week to week. So, it's really impressive that that happens. But, then those guys up front, not only the five guys in there, but I think we've got great depth across the board. Those five guys getting to come off of an offseason where we couldn't spend a lot of time together, those guys really using every single day in training camp to prepare themselves for the season. There's some chemistry that really goes into it from a communication standpoint. I mean, those combinations inside, those guys working together, maximizing the individual time so the technique and fundamentals are right. Then I think they flat out have played really physical at times, inside, both across that interior, guard center guard, and then our two big tackles, you've seen them play really, really physical and really thrive off that as the game goes on. Our whole football team really has. So, I've been so impressed with that group up front. They deserve the response they're getting as far as a positive response from people. And now, it's just like the word I've used a couple of times, how consistent can we be across the board? Not only those guys, but our offense.”

(On the offensive line, specifically on OL David Edwards and OL Joe Noteboom)
“I think first and foremost, (OL) Austin (Blythe) definitely, Austin Blythe, absolutely deserves some credit running the show there in the middle of making those guys' lives easier from a communication standpoint. But both (OL Austin) Corbs (Corbett) and (OL) David Edwards have been, I think their power shows up their pure strength. The coaching staff has done a tremendous job with those guys technique-wise to really maximize that power within different schemes that we have. It’s one thing to get movement laterally with technique and athleticism, which all five of those guys have. But, those guards in their power is what sticks out to me, both in the run game, then we've seen them at times, anchor and in the pass game. Just how the schedule worked out. We really got to face some of the best interior rushers, not named (DL) Aaron Donald in the league that have been out there. So those guys responding to those challenges, the communication that they have amongst those five. I think the groups really come together.”

DL Aaron Donald

(On going up against a rookie quarterback making his first career start)
"You go about it just like every other week. He's still a starting quarterback in the National Football League. Doesn't matter if it's his first start or not. You try to look back at college film, certain things he did and how they used him and see a couple of plays he did get this season and see how he did. There are ways to study him at the same time. He's a good football player. They are starting him for a reason, so we're going to go into the game with the mindset that, we've just got to go out there and do our job, just like every other week."

(On if there is anything he can do to intimidate QB Tua Tagovailoa)
"The only way you can do that, is putting pressure on them, getting to him, hitting him, not letting him be comfortable back there. So, if we do that upfront, not just because he's a rookie quarterback, that's with any quarterback, you get to him."

(On if he watched Tagovailoa a lot when he was in college)
"I watched a couple of games. He definitely did some real good things in college, so it’s expected for him to be able to translate that to the National Football League, but hopefully not this week. We've got to just go out there and do our job."

(On if Tagovailoa being left handed changes anything he has to do)
"Nope. Not at all. He just throws the ball with a different arm. For me, I'm still getting to him the same way and still finding ways to affect the game. The only thing different is, if you're going to try to strip him, you strip him from a whole different way, that's it. But same thing."

(Continued)
"It's going to be awkward, but if you are to the right side and you come in this way, it's going to be easier, it's just going to be from the left side, it's going to be a little bit more clean. We’ll practice it during the week, we will practice it today in individual drills, I'm pretty sure ‘Henney’ (Defensive Line Coach Eric Henderson) have a lot of drills, different things getting used to a left-hand quarterback. So, we'll be ready."

(On concerns if Tagovailoa will move to his left side more often)
"I'm pretty sure that's what he would want to do, being able to throw on a run. We’ve played multiple mobile quarterbacks, the only difference this week is he's a left-hand guy. So, you just expect them to roll a different type of way to get the ball off."

(On evaluating how the defense did in pass rushing against the Bears)
"You've got to think, our offense had a day too. They were putting points up on the board. We had to lead to the point where they had to throw the ball, so they weren’t able to stick to their game plan. That gave us more opportunities to actually just pin our ears backs and just go. We just had to play good football as a team, so we just took advantage of opportunities."

(On how much film he looked at of Tagovailoa from Alabama)
"We broke some stuff down just to see certain things, certain ways that they used him there. They had a bye week, so I'm pretty sure they'll have some different things in there that people didn't see this year in the NFL. So, just preparing for that. Just trying to study him as much as you can from what he did in college."

(On if there is any uncomfortableness going into a game against a player you haven't really seen play)
"No, not at all. I feel like the coaches are doing a good job, as far as, finding enough stuff to throw at us, but you never know. A team can switch up anything each week, so we've just got to go out there and do what we've got to do."

(On what type of impact LB Justin Hollins has made on defense)
"He's just doing good. When his name's called, when he's in a game, he's making plays, he's doing what he needs to do in coverage when he's dropping. Then he made a big play last week with a big sack for us on fourth down. He's being productive. We are going to continue to get better, continue to keep working and he's definitely a good piece to the puzzle to have."

(On if he believes he is on track for another Defensive Player of the Year award)
"Honestly, my main focus is trying to just win. The only thing I didn't accomplish I felt like, is a Super Bowl, so that's my only thing, is trying to do everything I can to help this team to win and get back to the Super Bowl and this time win it. It's a long journey, a long process, a lot of work to do to get there, so we're going to week-to-week just trying to do as much as I can to win games."

(On winning DPOY for a third time and what it would mean)
"I'm just going week-to-week and I'm just going to play ball and try to win games."

(On if there is anything about the defense that is surprising him so far)
"I think guys have been doing good. We've been inconsistent at times, but I think what we did last week, the way we played as a team, as a group, as a defense was solid, was physical, everybody was flying around. We've just got to keep that same energy, that same consistent play and as long as we do that, we'll keep getting better and we'll dominate."

(On what's different from the defense this year)
"Guys are just flying around. I felt like we always had a good defense. Different schemes, some things are different. Different D-coordinator, so obviously things are different from that standpoint, but guys are just playing good football right now."

(On how he thinks OLB Leonard Floyd is playing)
"He's doing great. He's got that chop-club (pass-rush move) down on that edge and making some big plays. He's playing confident, he's playing physical, he's playing strong and then pass-rush situation, he's taking advantage of winning his one-on-ones, putting pressures on quarterbacks, getting sacks. Like I said, I'm excited to be playing with that guy and he's going to continue to get better, continue to be more productive and the more productive he is, the more opportunities we get. We just keep feeding off each other."

--RAMS--
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Los Angeles Rams Transcripts - October 29, 2020 Head Coach Sean McVay, Offensive Coordinator Kevin O'Connell, and DL Aaron Donald

Shaky426October 29, 2020 01:45PM

Re: whew!!

AlbaNY_Ram223October 29, 2020 02:07PM

Re: whew!!

BerendsenRam181October 29, 2020 10:43PM