Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Predictability of Rams offense is not the biggest problem

September 16, 2016 02:31AM
The predictability of the Rams offense was clear and evident this past week and much has been said in the news. The 49ers knew what was coming and had swarms of defenders around Gurley and Austin in the backfield.

I am going to go back and get the exact Steve Young's comments while announcing, but the predictability is not the biggest problem. I would say the number of hits on the opposing defense knowing the play at the snap is considerably higher than the rest of the league, but I guarantee the opposing defense doesn't hit at 100%. The biggest problem with the Rams is that since there are so many offensive plays that that the Rams don't even consider running, the defense does not have to account for much.

So even when the defense is wrong, the penalty of being wrong is not that significant. Hence swarms of defenders around Gurley and Austin that amounts to a scrum. Example instead of throwing a 3 yard pass to Austin behind of the line of scrimmage, maybe they throw it to the tight end drifting out to the side and the defense misses, but the result is a 5 yard completion or incompletion. No big deal for being wrong.

But a tight end sprinting up the seam and hitting him in stride, may be a 20 yard gain and a momentum changer. That would be a significant play and maybe keep linebackers from vacating areas and swarming to Austin.

Or maybe they use Austin in motion and they fake to him, but he basically sets a screen for another WR cutting across the field and a long catch and run occurs.

The Rams don't use the middle of the field very much. There is no space management. No screens, No clearouts, the motion has no purpose, no double moves, no bunches sets, it goes on and on the things that do not have to be prepared for or accounted for.

If you watch that very first drive, there were a few successful plays early in the game. I plan to go back and watch and see what was happening, but I noted, maybe they are changing some things, but than back to the same old 6 plays. Actually 5 this game, because they didn't throw downfield a single time. Normally, they at least take a couple of shots.

The Rams need to create some offense when a play formation looks similar but has a different twist where if the defense gets it wrong, there is a big play. Not plays that if the defense is wrong a play is successful for 5 yards.

The day that happens is the day Austin and Gurley will have some room to run and everything would change.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2016 02:39AM by Rams_81.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Predictability of Rams offense is not the biggest problem

Rams_81671September 16, 2016 02:31AM

And that day won't happen until Fisher is gone...

max244September 16, 2016 03:01AM

a few plays I'd like to see...

LMU93233September 16, 2016 03:30AM

Like all of that and it is not

Rams_81237September 16, 2016 04:34AM

this is the funny thing for me

zn365September 16, 2016 05:08AM

you misunderstand

LMU93264September 16, 2016 05:20AM

okay sorry

zn213September 16, 2016 05:32AM

how many games do you hear an opponent say