Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Blinkscout Draft Review with some UDFA reviews.

April 28, 2024 02:07PM
This is my favorite Rams draft ever. I'm used to having to take a day because of a pick or 3 that I disagree with ... some reach of some sort that I have to trust them on ...
This year? Liked or loved every pick.

I expect you've seen the "One thing about every pick" post so won't bore you with redundancy.

I will say I wanted a WR ... but I don't know how healthy Kupp is (They do) ... and if we have edge taken care of we can spend money on that if we need to after next year.

1) Jared Verse, Edge, FSU Transfer from Albany, could have come out last year and actually been drafted higher. Gotta have a chip on his shoulder for that. Powerful, the kind of powerful that has recorded sacks by plowing the OT into the QB. Strength is ready for the pro game. Used to run track. How well can he change direction? We'll find out.

2) Braden Fiske, DT, FSU Transfer from WMU (Marshawn Kneeland was his running mate there) ... got better as the season progressed and completely killed the postseason. His Senior Bowl is a story that will likely be told for years, due to injuries he switched teams the morning of the game and still won DPOG. His 1:1 drills were unfair. His combine short shuttle was like an average DB (4.32). Ran a 4.78 but a 1.58 split. At 292 lbs. There's a chance that the most AD like was not Jerzawhn Newton, but him.

Combo) FSU Teammates that played right next to one another, wearing 5 and 55. Gained cohesion and capacity to read each other on the field to adjust rushes, which led to heavier production at the end of the year ... which is why the rolled through undefeated even though J Travis went down with an injury. They were good friends, and FSU as a team went through the most depressing end to a college season likely ever. Undefeated, and robbed of an opportunity to play for a national championship because of an injury. That's mental toughness through adversity and bonding that simply makes them a synergistic value.
Final note ... having watched them and not only how they win, but how they lose ... as an offensive player you're often not planning how to win, but how to lose without the play being destroyed. Because you're going to lose a lot.

3) Blake Corum, RB, Michigan ... I am not a Michigan guy. I am not usually into guys who run like him. He reminds me of a smaller Nick Chubb ... who oddly is not my cup of tea, but has carved out a huge role for himself in the NFL. Why am I a fan of this? I had him around this area for value, but his mentality and leadership were the grounding force for the entire Michigan team that won the championship. Discipline, team first, hard nosed (seen the poster?), finisher. Comes into a stable room with a stable O line built to blow people off the line with the expectation of keeping him fresh not just for games but for years in case Kyren walks.

4) Kam Kinchens, S, Miami This is all about playing centerfield ... and making QBs play for being late. One note on Corum and Kinchens, both were likely first rounders going into 2023, and fell as others rose. Kinchens was a 2022 All American, Miami had a rough year and he fell to 99. Instincts are on point and he arrives to take the ball away.

5) Brennan Jackson, Edge, WSU One of my draft crushes/sleepers. I honestly had a mock in my head where we would take a WR, DT, the him in the third and I felt solid about him being the only Edge we took. Just to make a note here ... Verse is 257 and ran a 4.58. Jackson is 266 and ran a 4.69. 10 lbs. and .1 off the 40. I feel fine with him going any direction because he's a smooth athlete. I think someone quoted me as saying "This is a great player that could somehow slide to the 5th in this class" and he did.
If you've read the "one thing" article you'll see what he did against Colorado ... I watched him the previous week and predicted that he alone would destroy the game the following week. When he did, he became my "calling my shot" guy.

6) Tyler Davis, DT, Clemson I was not suspecting another DT, but ... I didn't have him graded but maybe steps below many of the kids that went in rounds 2 and 3. Value is nuts, but so is his determination. He had an amazing start to his career, then battled injuries and went for 5 years. He was a mainstay on a powerful defense and I doubt he has much of an adjustment to make based on the talent that Clemson faces (Best in ACC plus ND, UGA, and SC).

6) Josh Karty, K, Stanford Kicker. Kicks stuff. Confident kid.

6) Jordan Whittington, WR, Texas So ... the story for this kid is wild. He was a leading WR that got jumped by Worthy and Mitchell and Sanders without really losing any shine on his talent. What's his talent? Middle of the field and pile driving through tacklers. He catches the ball and then becomes a TE. Seeing his burst and agility numbers made that make sense ... changes angles and drives with power through the weak points of tackles. 2nd in after the catch power to only Corley, he honestly gives us the 3 hardest WR combos to tackle in the NFL. Like with Puka and Kupp, after he has the ball, he has the advantage no matter who you are. He was on my list for the 6th most of the year.

6) Beaux Limmer, IOL, Arkansas This kid was on my list in the middle of the year for OC possibilities, and I felt like he got lost a bit in the process, but then got remembered for a flash when he broke the combine (physical traits) ... this is the exact person you want backing up a hundred million dollars of beef. He's not going to be outmatched physically, and he has an obvious work ethic from his gym work. Arkansas is power running, but they did more pass pro with Jefferson this year. Hole filled with an interior swing with an athletic fit. Can we pay him at the end of his contract? I like the set up for that.

7) KT Leveston, OL, K State ... First, I like K State players. I feel like he battles McClendon, but doesn't make the roster and sticks on the PS for a redshirt of getting into better shape. Maybe he jumps up a few games from the PS. He's got length at 34.5 inches to his arms, but he's only 6-4 so he's gotta get quicker to survive on the edge ... but I figure he's a solid pickup regardless.

I pay more attention here since the NFL changed the rules for the PS, because it's a legit job and you can realistically participate in games and get paid.

UDFA1) Omar Speights, LB, LSU I followed him from Oregon State, where I had a solid eye on him for his ability to play sideline to sideline. He's a classic chase and cover LB that can thump if given the opportunity. 30 reps is no joke. 4.62 is the going rate. He may not make the team off the bat, no need, he'll be there by the end of the year I'd wager.

UDFA2) Tuli Letuligasanoa, DT, UW .... Another kid from a championship team ... I've followed him since freshman year ... he lost weight every year, which is rare. I've never seen anyone really successfully move him. He doesn't rack up stats, but he can hold the point. I figure he's a PS and call up possibility when we hit injuries. It's a solid NT pickup.

UDFA3) Drake Stoops, WR, OK ... They love him in OK. Reminds me of Renfrow because if it's third down or goal to go, the defense had to find him and try to cover him. They failed ... a lot. They always talked about him walking on as the coach's son, then they had to start talking about the fact that he was the toughest kid on the roster. I expect him to be working in at PR for us. He could legitimately be a slot after a year. Don't count him out.

UDFA4) Josh Wallace, CB, Mich... Championship kid who transferred in from Umass and had the unfortunate job of playing opposite the best CB in the nation. Had a weak long time but better burst/agility/split #s. He is well trained and should be a solid kid kick the tires on.

UDFA5) Cam Lampkin, CB, WSU Note .. WSU almost beat UW. Held them to 3 scores until a final FG. Jackson and Lampkin are a part of that, and though Smith-Wade got more press, I liked Lampkin basically just as much. That secondary was for real ... honestly the whole D was.

Okay, I'll take a break now .. lo.

Questions and comments welcome.

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Blinkscout Draft Review with some UDFA reviews.

alyoshamucci710April 28, 2024 02:07PM

Re: Blinkscout Draft Review with some UDFA reviews.

JimYoungblood53186April 28, 2024 02:31PM

Agree on Speights.

alyoshamucci159April 28, 2024 03:10PM

I don't either

JimYoungblood53129April 28, 2024 03:13PM

Re: I don't either

alyoshamucci130April 28, 2024 03:21PM

makes sense

JimYoungblood5389April 28, 2024 04:54PM

Great post and good thread guys (nm)

LBRamsFan62April 28, 2024 05:12PM

Was your "one thing about" post after the draft?

headslapper96April 28, 2024 05:30PM

Re: Was your "one thing about" post after the draft?

alyoshamucci105April 29, 2024 04:44AM

Re: Was your "one thing about" post after the draft?

alyoshamucci68April 29, 2024 07:05AM

Re: Corum and Kinchens

leafnose56April 29, 2024 04:12PM

Really nice work Alyo

Deadpool60April 29, 2024 05:43PM