Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The case against drafting a QB early

April 03, 2024 03:40AM
There have been numerous references to the Green Bay QB Model on this board and in various publications. Favre-Rodgers-Love is certainly a notable streak of high-level QB play. As a group they are a combined 2-1 in Super Bowls in the 32 years since Favre became the GB starter.

The Rams are also 2-2 in Super Bowls over that same timeframe so apparently whatever they are doing is already at least as effective as the Green Bay QB Model.

But here's a closer look at some details.

GB drafted Rodgers in 2005, and he played in 7 games his first three years, with zero starts.

The Packers lost the NFCCG in 2007 to the Giants, 23-20 in OT with Favre at QB. Rodgers didn't see the field. Could the Packers have won that game if they picked a position player instead of Rodgers in 2005? (Among they guys still on the board: WR Roddy White, TE Heath Miller, OG Logan Mankins).

They eventually won *one* title with Rodgers at QB ... in Rodgers' 6th season.

Then GB drafted Love in 2020 and lost the NFCCG that season to the Bucs 31-26. Love was inactive every game in 2020. Again, would drafting a position player instead of Love have made a difference? (These guys were all available: ILB Jordyn Brooks, ILB Patrick Queen, LT Isaiah Wilson, CB Jeff Gladney, RB Clyde Edwards-Helaire, WR Tee Higgins, WR Michael Pittman Jr.)

In 2021 the Pack earned the #1 seed and a first round bye. For the season Love got in 6 games with one start, went 36 for 62 (58.1%) with 2 TDs and 3 INTs. QBR: 36.8. The Packers lost in the Divisional Round to the 49ers,13-10. Love did not get in the game, and again I ask: would drafting a position player instead of Love have made a difference?

in 2022 Love played 26 snaps (4 relief appearances, no starts) and the Packers missed the playoffs by one game. Same question: with Brooks or Higgins or any of the other guys previously mentioned on that team ... would the Pack have won 1 more game?

I get looking to the future. But I would hate losing an NFCCG in the next couple years while a guy who might (or might not) develop into a starting QB rides the pine when the Rams could have drafted Latu (or whoever) instead.

For what return? A playoff win in 2028? A Super Bowl win in 2029?

And the clincher for me: The Pack have done well with their QB picks but what if the Rams aren't as lucky? What if he ends up being closer to the Trey Lance end of the QB spectrum rather than the Favre/Love end ...

AlbaNY_Ram

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2024 03:44AM by AlbaNY_Ram.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

The case against drafting a QB early

AlbaNY_Ram106April 03, 2024 03:40AM

Just no good case FOR it this year

Ram_Ruler46April 03, 2024 05:51AM