Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What flavor of DI should Rams get?

March 22, 2024 10:44AM
Well, I am wondering what kind of DL they will target.

Not always, but usually Rams have had a 3-tech in Donald and more of a 5-tech in Williams (Broncks and Robinson before him). But because of the Fangio scheme both play a lot of 4i rather than 3- and 5. But, let's call Donald a B-gap player or a DT ... at 4 or 4i he's got that gap.

Brockers/Robinson/Williams would have some B-gap and some C-Gap depending, so let's call them DEs, though they are more B-Gap than anything.

What will they do with Turner? I suspect they will put him at Donald's position in base defense, DT, I'll call it.

Turner was more of a nose tackle (A-Gap player) when he played in base, spelling Brown III ... and kind of a 2i/1 in nickel.

So,
A-Gap/NT = Brown III
B-Gap/DT = Turner
C-Gap/DE = ??

Nickel
DE = ??
NT = ??
DT = Turner
DE = Young

If they look at it like I do they would be looking to draft more of a DE-type guy who hopefully can rush the passer.

A lot of the guys out there seem to be smaller, DT types at least by body type and where I see them --- there are 6-1, 6-2 and around 300 pounds, not the 6-4, 310-320 guys ...

If they went with what I am calling DT guys then Turner may play that DE (4i/5) and a rookie could play the DT (3/4i)

Ruke Orhorhoro, the Clemson kid, to me, is the DE-type or more of a 4-3 DT type, but he played NT and DT in college.
The Murphy, the Texas kid, strikes me as a DT, 3-t type
The Illinois kid, I cannot get a handle on him.

Fiske, to me, is a DE

Dorius (Oregon) and Hall (Ohio State), Wingo (LSU) look like DTs, guys who'd play Donald's position

Sweat, Texas, is huge, like a A. Robinson type --- could also be a nost, I suppose with Brown III going to DE --

Taylor (Miami) and Carter (Duke) seem like they could do either ---

Mason Smith (LSU), tall guy --- would be a DE/5-4i

McKinley Jackson is interesting, he's more of a nose, but a penetrating nose. Could play nose, Brown III going to DE

The point is a lot of these guys will be around in 3rd round ... outside of Murphey, Newton, and Fiske and Ruke Orhorhoro--if we want them it would have to be 1st or 2nd round.

Because of the versatility of Turner, Brown III and D. Johnson (who I like), Murch (a DT, to me) plus even Hoecht who could take snaps at DE ...
getting one guy is all they need and Rams can rearrange to suit his skills, allows them not to have to pick a "type"

With edge players, seems like 1st or 2nd round is a must so, IMO 3rd round is not option, but it is option for DT/DE

WR- seems deep so rounds 1-3 seem possible
CB - you never know, good players can come from 4th ... but someone who follows draft better would know.

WR is wildcard ... if one of the elite on drops, Rams would be tempted to take him over edge.

But if it were me:

1. Edge (as long as one of the good ones drops), if not, BPA of DT/DE, CB or WR
2. if we get edge, can go WR or CB
3. I think we can get good prospect of a DE/DT or CB here
3. Same as early 3

Would LOVE to trade down a few spots in 1st if edge not there and get an extra 3-4.

For Aylo or Dead --- when the pick came around the guys on the right were available, I picked Taylor ... but you know more
if you had that hypothetical choice who would you take as a DI of those --- a DT-type? a DE-type? or a NT-Type?
who is the best football player of those six?

Also, the edge I wanted not there, traded down to get extra 3rd---to take a DI

At end if this fantasy--
So,
A-Gap/NT = Brown III
B-Gap/DT = Turner
C-Gap/DE = Taylor III

Nickel
DE = Ellis
DT = Taylor III
DT = Turner
DE = Young

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2024 10:49AM by JimYoungblood53.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

What flavor of DI should Rams get? Attachments

JimYoungblood53230March 22, 2024 10:44AM

Re: What flavor of DI should Rams get?

AlbaNY_Ram71March 22, 2024 11:03AM

Re: Hoecht

mtramfan80March 22, 2024 11:23AM

Hoecht played DT a little last year Attachments

JimYoungblood5359March 22, 2024 12:01PM